JeepDrum

Greetings from Camden County

Hi All,

Just joined here, living in Camden County. I don't own any firearms yet but I hope to acquire my first handgun within the next few months. I've shot before but I'm not a pro by any means. I thought it would be good to join and learn some stuff so I can make an informed decision for my first gun.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Welcome!

Is your paperwork in at your local PD? (For your FPID card and pistol permits)

Did you do your fingerprints yet?

No not yet. I'm still trying to research the process in my free time. Honestly I'm not even completely sure what exactly is required yet.

Welcome to the forums.

Put in your paperwork. You'll have plenty of time to do research while you wait for you FID and permits.

Word of advice. Put in for 2 permits. A, because you'll want more than just one and B, because each time you want a new permit you have to jump through ALL the hoops / fill out ALL the paperwork (except for the finger printing) again.

What are you thinking about purchasing?

Thanks again guys

Welcome to the forums.

Put in your paperwork. You'll have plenty of time to do research while you wait for you FID and permits.

Word of advice. Put in for 2 permits. A, because you'll want more than just one and B, because each time you want a new permit you have to jump through ALL the hoops / fill out ALL the paperwork (except for the finger printing) again.

What are you thinking about purchasing?

Thanks for the wisdom. Do the permits expire after a while? If I get two and use one right away, how long would I have to use the other?

I'm definitely going to get a handgun first. Probably in 9mm. I feel like that is the most cost-effective route since I'll want to put a lot of rounds through it. I want something for home defense and a little fun at the range too. Other than that, I don't really have my mind set on anything specific right now.

Thanks again guys

Thanks for the wisdom. Do the permits expire after a while? If I get two and use one right away, how long would I have to use the other?

I'm definitely going to get a handgun first. Probably in 9mm. I feel like that is the most cost-effective route since I'll want to put a lot of rounds through it. I want something for home defense and a little fun at the range too. Other than that, I don't really have my mind set on anything specific right now.

Permits are good for 90 days. Your allowed one hand gun purchase every 30 days due to the OGAM (one gun a month) law our lovely liberal legislators passed to "keep us safe". If you can't use a permit within that 90 day time frame then you can go back to your local PD and request a 90 day extension.

Some towns will issue extensions and some give you a hard time about it. I'm lucky where I live the people love guns including the police, so I haven't ever had any issues with extensions for permits. When you pick up your permits ask the office staff if extensions are an issue, that way you will know before you leave what your time frame will have to be. most towns will not extend an expired permit, so if you are going to need one make sure you file for an extension before the 90 day expiration. Valid reason for extended permits is normally "I ordered a gun and it isn't in to the gun shop yet" that's the reason I usually give.

Now get down to your local PD and pick up your paperwork! The people in the office will usually give you a quick run down of how to fill out the paperwork when you pick up the packet. The paperwork is pretty much self explanatory. Be HONEST when you fill everything out. knowingly falsifying a state document is a crime. Don't make any mistakes. If your not sure how to answer a question on the forms ask before you just check a box and turn it in. If you've never been arrested and charged with any crimes in your life (including juvenile offenses, yes they ask and will also check that as well) then it should be a breeze. Even if you have committed a crime and been found guilty, not every offense is a defacto disqualifier. But you must answer as such on the application.

Ok lots of good info here. One more question... What does NJ consider to be a reputable reference?

Someone you know, preferably of good moral character. I always use two cops that work at my local PD I'm friends with. It speeds up the process. Not everyone has that luxury though. Whom ever you choose to use (I don't think you can use immediate family,) be sure they fill out the form and send it back ASAP so it's not holding up your application. Most PD'S mail them to your references directly. My town calls the refrence after they receive their letter.