gleninjersey

AFFORDABLE SPOTTING SCOPE

I bought one of those $80 Barska 20-60x60 scopes(as have a number of folks around here) and for 100 yards, it'll do exactly what you want.   It's still ok at 300, but not so hot after that.  It's an inexpensive spotting scope that works just fine for NJ distances.   The sky is the limit on those scopes for price, so don't expect it to look like a Leica scope or something for $80.

$200 to $300 for a Nikon or Leupold, lasts decades, with a lifetime warranty.

$100 or $200 for Bushnell, Redfield, or Minox. 

Those are the only ones I've used and can recommend. After 3 or 4 hours on the range, you appreciate quality glass. Past $300 it's extremely difficult to tell optics apart, at least to my eyes.

Also, this Konus looks like it's worth checking out - includes a photo adapter. Haven't used it but looks interesting.

This scope actually isn't too bad. Out to 100 you are fine, even a little further. The tripod is a bit crappy, but for the price what do you expect.

I have a 25% off coupon if you need it, I can upload it here and you just show it when you get there on your phone. It will come out to $41.

Harbor Freight has one priced around $55.00.  20-60x60 spotting scope with tripod.  It has average reviews mostly complaining about the tripod when extended.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=scope

Can't recommend a scope, but if the spotting scope has a crappy tripod - and most seem to - check yard sales, camera stores that take trade-ins, or thrift stores for used tripods.  A used heavy-duty quality tripod can often be found for cheap.  Bogen/Manfrotto seem to have a number of popular models that people have held onto.  Just make sure to check that the tripod has the proper way to attach your camera (quick release plates tend to get lost) - most tripods use 1/4"-20, but some are 3/8".

Store I used to work at probably had 3 or 4 people a week trying to unload their old tripods...

Some tripods have a hook on the center column, which is used for a rock bag (or other weight) to lower the center of gravity.  You might also be able to bungee a tripod to a shooting table/bench, so it is harder to knock over the scope.  Some tripods also have legs that spread wider than the default width.  I've seen some close calls with spotting scopes at the range...so be careful with whatever you get...

The other thing is that 100 yards you should be able to see your holes through any scope above 4x specially if you use contrasting materials.

Real men don't need a scope for 100 yards :)

JK. I haven't really looked at rifle scopes yet. I built this AR as a close quarters / midrange gun so not real concerned with a scope. I would like to get one but it's not high on my list right now.

Well I mentioned it because if you have ANOTHER scope, one you don't use on that rifle you can use it as a spotting scope. The other thing you can do is use shoot-n-see type targets which helps.

Personally, I rather spend money on a scope scope then a spotting scope if I didn't have either.  For me, spotting scopes come in handy at 200-300yards, bellow that not so much.

Won a $25 Amazon Gift Card yesterday at work. At first I had no idea what I would use it for. Looking at some of the links above I now know! Looks like a few decent choices in the $65 - $100 range ($40 - $75 after gift card!).

I'll update in a few weeks with what I purchased and how I like it.

Giving the below a try.  Will update in a few weeks after it arrives and I have a change to get out to the range.  For 100 yards sounds like it will be more than enough:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BY66JO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck and let us know how it works, I will be looking for something similar in the spring!