Sign in to follow this  
RHS

Transmission Help

Need a transmission shop in the Toms River/Manchester area.

Clutch is slipping and I hope it just needs adjustment vs replacement.

Wife's Chevy Aveo 2004.

Any recommendations out there ? Very expensive ?

Thanks !!

Need a transmission shop in the Toms River/Manchester area.

Clutch is slipping and I hope it just needs adjustment vs replacement.

Wife's Chevy Aveo 2004.

Any recommendations out there ? Very expensive ?

Thanks !!

With current clutch mechanisms being hydraulic or cable, the likelihood of it being an adjustment is between slim and none...  Sorry, but if it's slipping it's to replace it.

Sorry, can't suggest anyone in your area, but if you happen to drive to Newark area I found a mechanic here (in Nutley), who is just AMAZING (yes, in all caps, LOL).

He literally returned my old crown vic that I bought off the public auction to normal life and so far he would probably be the only great thing I'd miss if I ever move out of NJ (hell I'll be driving up to 100 miles to his shop if I need some major planned repairs with any vehicle). Yes, he is really THAT amazing and very honest which is, unfortunately, very rare thing among car repair shops :-( ...

If you somehow need his contacts, just PM me

As stated, any real mechanic shop can replace a clutch and pressure plate on a manual transmission vehicle. There is no adjustment in regards to the clutch. If it is slipping, it needs to be replaced as it is worn out. That car should have a hydraulic clutch, so you will be charged for a new slave cylinder, clutch and pressure plate, and to have the flywheel resurfaced. You can clean up a good flywheel with 3M cookies, but that's only if there aren't excessive hot spots and/or warping.

You only need to visit a transmission shop when it comes to an actual rebuild of a manual or automatic transmission, as most general repair shops don't have the expertise to perform such repairs. Some can rebuild certain types of manual transmissions, as those are much simpler to overhaul. That depends on the specific skills of the mechanic himself.