jm1827

Credit card fraud update

My card number was stolen twice . First time the individual went to short hills and made a purchase at tiffanys for 4k and then went to apple store and tried to make a purchase for 14k but my credit card will not process any walmart apple target purchases without my approval before hand. This was raised with the police and they are currently investigating the store tapes for a suspect.

ya know, at the risk of sounding sarcastic....there is a cure for these problems. it may be hard at first......but we have this funny cloth/paper green stuff. there's numbers and pictures of dead people on it. can you imagine if everyone went back to using that stuff? how much cheaper things would be? since the cost of using plastic is factored into everything........

ya know, at the risk of sounding sarcastic....there is a cure for these problems. it may be hard at first......but we have this funny cloth/paper green stuff. there's numbers and pictures of dead people on it. can you imagine if everyone went back to using that stuff? how much cheaper things would be? since the cost of using plastic is factored into everything........

I actually thought about this and for a majority of my purchases I am doing this.  Unfortunately I have a few bills that need to either go to a CC or directly from my checking account so I choose a CC.  But I do get what you are saying.

I actually thought about this and for a majority of my purchases I am doing this.  Unfortunately I have a few bills that need to either go to a CC or directly from my checking account so I choose a CC.  But I do get what you are saying.

yea, i do cash for nearly everything reasonable. i don't even own a credit card anymore. once in a blue moon, if i need a cc to buy something from places like midway or widners, i use a relatives card, and give them the cash right away for it.

If you pay your balance in full every month, credit cards are the wisest way to spend.  You get to float your money for a month, you get certain protections such as extended warranties and the ability to dispute charges after the fact, you get an easy way to see where you are spending you money and if your wallet is stolen or lost there's not cash to worry about.  Don't forget cash back rewards and points for purchases. 

If you use a card to spend money you don't have, don't blame the banks.  That's on you.

If you pay your balance in full every month, credit cards are the wisest way to spend.  You get to float your money for a month, you get certain protections such as extended warranties and the ability to dispute charges after the fact, you get an easy way to see where you are spending you money and if your wallet is stolen or lost there's not cash to worry about.  Don't forget cash back rewards and points for purchases. 

If you use a card to spend money you don't have, don't blame the banks.  That's on you.

Knock on wood, I have never had a CC balance in my life, I always pay it off in full each month. 

they still raise the cost of doing business. it costs me a percentage to accept that card, even if it's a check card. it costs me more if the card is any kind of rewards card.

they still raise the cost of doing business. it costs me a percentage to accept that card, even if it's a check card. it costs me more if the card is any kind of rewards card.

The genie is out of the bottle.  We will never go back, so might as well use the tools at hand to best benefit yourself.  Lamenting days gone by won't do a thing.

The genie is out of the bottle.  We will never go back, so might as well use the tools at hand to best benefit yourself.  Lamenting days gone by won't do a thing.

this could be true.......

in my case, for me, cash works best. it's faster in the checkout lines, it's more secure(nothing to hack), and it forces me to think twice if i really really want/need what i'm about to buy.

no worries about renewing, no worries about finding a gas station with the same price for cash/credit, no worries about someone skimming my cc number, etc.

Here is a story that will warm your heart...  :nyam:

I was working a job in Kiev, Ukraine for a bit, a few years back.  I was staying in a private apartment which was 1000x nicer than the local hotels, but I had to settle the tab in cash.  So that meant pulling cash from the ATMs around town.  And of course the card got skimmed even in a bank under guard.

I had no idea until about a month later when I had to work in India for a couple of weeks.  I called the wife to say hello as usual, and she asks why I was withdrawing $400 every day (the max on my ATM card per day).  I said "what now?"

So the card was cut off right away, but the thief had gotten around $7000 from our account by that point.  When I got home, I spoke with the bank manager and we could see that all of the withdrawals took place at 3 ATMs in St. Petersburg, Russia.  So when the fraud appeal was filed, the bank brass declined the claim citing that I could have been taking that money myself.

Well, I produced my passport with entry and exit visa stamps in India at that time, with no stamps for Russia (since I had never been to Russia, and you don't get in there without a very obvious visa stamp).  I also produced my itemized hotel bill from India showing not only the room charges but also the daily car service fee that I used to get to the client site.

The bank brass said I could have flown to Russia each day and made a withdrawal.  Uhh, no.

Then they said I could have been working in cahoots with a friend in Russia to take my own money.

In the end, they gave in and refunded the loss after realizing they were full of shit.  Provident Bank, by the way.

Here is a story that will warm your heart...  :nyam:

I was working a job in Kiev, Ukraine for a bit, a few years back.  I was staying in a private apartment which was 1000x nicer than the local hotels, but I had to settle the tab in cash.  So that meant pulling cash from the ATMs around town.  And of course the card got skimmed even in a bank under guard.

I had no idea until about a month later when I had to work in India for a couple of weeks.  I called the wife to say hello as usual, and she asks why I was withdrawing $400 every day (the max on my ATM card per day).  I said "what now?"

So the card was cut off right away, but the thief had gotten around $7000 from our account by that point.  When I got home, I spoke with the bank manager and we could see that all of the withdrawals took place at 3 ATMs in St. Petersburg, Russia.  So when the fraud appeal was filed, the bank brass declined the claim citing that I could have been taking that money myself.

Well, I produced my passport with entry and exit visa stamps in India at that time, with no stamps for Russia (since I had never been to Russia, and you don't get in there without a very obvious visa stamp).  I also produced my itemized hotel bill from India showing not only the room charges but also the daily car service fee that I used to get to the client site.

The bank brass said I could have flown to Russia each day and made a withdrawal.  Uhh, no.

Then they said I could have been working in cahoots with a friend in Russia to take my own money.

In the end, they gave in and refunded the loss after realizing they were full of shit.  Provident Bank, by the way.

Wow- real nice!

this could be true.......

in my case, for me, cash works best. it's faster in the checkout lines, it's more secure(nothing to hack), and it forces me to think twice if i really really want/need what i'm about to buy.

no worries about renewing, no worries about finding a gas station with the same price for cash/credit, no worries about someone skimming my cc number, etc.

Any worries about carrying a significant amount of cash?  For example, when I bought the current house, I had to buy a washer, dryer and fridge all at once.  There was no way I was carrying enough cash to do that size of transaction.

Any worries about carrying a significant amount of cash?  For example, when I bought the current house, I had to buy a washer, dryer and fridge all at once.  There was no way I was carrying enough cash to do that size of transaction.

i carry a small amount of cash all the time. if i'm going to make a big purchase, i either take the cash specifically for that, or i take a check with me. for normal purchases though, cash is king.

i used a check for my snowblower, and for the tv i bought mom..........