mx597turbo

Face to Face handgun purchase permit has too much info

I'm not sure how anyone else here feels, but I have decided not to purchase handguns face to face. I really just don't like that a stranger knows my address, phone number, and employer. Nothing against the forum members here, just a personal choice. 

I really don't know why the form has all that info on it. I think our name, physical description, and FID# should be enough for a face to face. The state already has the rest of our personal info, so why does the seller need it? 

Just because you are paranoid does not mean you don't have real enemies :)   Seriously though, anybody that wants to drop a dime can get all of that information and  much more very easily.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean you don't have real enemies :)   Seriously though, anybody that wants to drop a dime can get all of that information and  much more very easily.

I'm more concerned about identity theft or my house being robbed. Someone selling their guns may have fallen on hard times. Not saying this is the case, but it could be. The $200 I save face to face could wind up costing me a lot more in the long run.

There's a difference between being paranoid and cautious. Not really happy about it, but for me at least, NJ has managed to kill of the face-to-face / private market. I doubt NJ would ever change this considering they are getting the tax and nics fees from people like me, who don't want strangers to have my address, know my employer, or know what possessions I have in my house.

This seems a little strange to me. You realize, of course, that the person you are buying from in all likelihood passed a background check to get the gun that they are now selling. Law abiding gun owners are not the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

or, go find an FFL to middle man the transaction; he takes "possession" of the firearm, then you take "possession" from him. your info never winds up in the seller's hands. You'll of course have to pay the premium for that to happen.

I was concerned when I bought my house. The people I bought it from knew what my kids looked like , knew where I lived. :)

No , but seriously . I get it . Everything is like that these days. They want your social for everything too. It is rather unavoidable which is why identity theft is still a daily risk .

Personally , I don't sell guns to people unless I am familiar with them. As for buying guns , I'll only meet someone at a range to do the transaction. But that is just me.

If I am seller, I want to make sure I have details of who I am selling to. Others may feel differently. 

Its unlikely the perps need the address to do what they do.

Folks who know my name, address and where I live:

1. The Mail man

2. The UPS/FEDEX

3. The garbage pick up guys

4. The guy who delivered motorcycle this weekend

5. The guy who delivered the safe last year (he even asked me what its for, I pointed out the name - Gun Safe, no more questions).

6. Every online retailer who I bought stuff from

7. Every ebay retailer who I bought stuff (including some from far away places)

I'm not sure how anyone else here feels, but I have decided not to purchase handguns face to face. I really just don't like that a stranger knows my address, phone number, and employer. Nothing against the forum members here, just a personal choice. 

That's OK with me.  I'm not going to sell a gun to someone who wants their identity to be secret from me.

I can't tell if you're serious or not.  I found your rough age (it's one of two ages, I can't determine which).  I found what city you live in.  You taught math and business in high school for 5 years.  It looks like you own a 2003 Corvette Z06 (don't worry, I won't post the VIN).  I also found your cell phone number, it's from two years ago, but people don't change cell numbers frequently....so I'm assuming that is still current.  Granted, none of this is SUPER important information, however this was all found from doing a google search on your username.  As others have stated, if someone who wants to harm you really wants your information, they're going to get it.  People who have passed background checks and are legally selling firearms are very unlikely to do what you're afraid of.  Until then, if you want to be safe, tighten up everything you have online, that's where people do the most damage anyway.

Can anyone show me a case ever in the history of NJ that a law abiding gun buyer purchase a handgun from another law abiding gun seller and then used the personal information about the seller or buyer obtained from the permit to commit a crime against the other person? I highly doubt this has ever happened, chances of it occurring ever are extremely unlikely. Better chance you get car jacked at a stop light on the way to work tomorrow morning.

It's highly unlikely that someone who's out to steal your identity or rob your home would go through the trouble of selling you a gun to obtain the necessary information. If you're worried ask him for the salmon-colored sheet, which at least proves he's passed a background check.