Sign in to follow this  
jackandjill

Is SSN on NJ NICS mandatory ?

No not required, but it does help sometimes in getting your approval back quicker... expecially if you have a common last name. Write it on a piece of paper so they could enter it online, and then ask for the paper back. That way at least it is not on the 4473 when it gets filed away at your FFL.

Just curious, why you say "Swish more FFL's do this"?

No FFL should ever MAKE you use your SSN, and it clearly states on the 4473

that it is optional.................

I have one FFL tell me it is "Required" for Online NJ NICS and transfer cannot be done without it.  Couple of other FFLs insisted ALOT in providing SSN info, however, I could get away without providing it.

Again, I trust FFLs, no doubt about it, just cautious where I write down my SSN. Thats all.

I can assure you that any FFL that tells you it is REQUIRED is full of shit!

The only time I suggest using a SSN is when one of my regular customers

has approval issues (Like a very common name Smith, Jones, ect) of other

issues that usually cause a "Delay" responce from NICS.

In that case a SSN is helpful to the NICS supervisor in clearing up any questions and

getting the NICS approved quicker; but again - it is up to the customer to decide if that

information is given NOT the FFL............. :facepalm:

Just to confirm what the other dealers are saying...........SS is not required for NICS check and they usually come back just as fast with or without it unless there are people with your same name that have criminal records. NICS is most concerned with DL and SBI numbers, get those wrong and there will not be an approval.

A Passport for Id and utility/tax bill could be used for proof of address. Technically you do not need a Drivers License but good luck finding an FFL to sell you a gun without one. Trust me I tried when I switched to a Florida drivers license and wanted to buy a handgun in NJ as a dual resident. I ended up having to get a NJ boaters lic. Looks just like a drivers lic and uses the same DL number required to enter on the NIC's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A Passport for Id and utility/tax bill could be used for proof of address. Technically you do not need a Drivers License but good luck finding an FFL to sell you a gun without one. Trust me I tried when I switched to a Florida drivers license and wanted to buy a handgun in NJ as a dual resident. I ended up having to get a NJ boaters lic. Looks just like a drivers lic and uses the same DL number required to enter on the NIC's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem is NJ's online NICS system doesn't have any provision for an alternate ID, there is no way to enter alternate ID forms.

Another thing I wonder about is if a resident of another state had a NJ FPID card (with their out of state address on it) would NJ NICS's online system be able to process it?

The problem is NJ's online NICS system doesn't have any provision for an alternate ID, there is no way to enter alternate ID

Correct. The reason the Boat Lic works is that is uses my old NJ drivers Lic number as the boat lic number. If you have a NJ drivers Lic the boat Lic is just an endorsement on the drivers Lic. Just like a motorcycle Lic.

So,it plays nice with the NICS system.