Worn_Holster

Show your sticks!

So I may or may not have gone a bit off the deep end.  As some of you may have seen I had listed my FN SPR for sale earlier.  Well its currently off to its new home out of state and I replaced it with:

XqhsL6dl.jpg

Yep, Accuracy International.  Specifically the 2014 model of the AI AX:

tGvVQYil.jpg

This thing is absolutely gorgeous.  Some of the best engineering I have ever seen:

hKrVsCsl.jpg

Heavy as all hell though.  Not great for long walks:

Eoc1oxIl.jpg

But the coolest thing about the rifle is the modularity.  You can completely break down the rifle with a single 4mm Hex wrench (which is stored in the buttstock).  You can even remove the barrel and replace it with another short action, 308 bolt face caliber.  Or you can break it down for storage/transport:

Ir038YLl.jpg

All-in-all, totally worth it:

iaqfJ59l.jpg

The barrel is a 24" 1/10 twist Bartlien blank chambered by Dave Tooley.  I'm also using the Harris 9-13 bipod off the FN as well as a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 in a Spuhr mount.

Very nice.  I was down to the AI or the DTA.  I will probably wind up picking up an AI at some point as well.  

Both are excellent platforms depending on what you need.  I've shot a DTA before but wasn't a huge fan.

The DTA def isnt for everyone.  The bolt placement is awkward until you get used to it.  I shot another forum members a couple years ago and using his technique I got hooked on the rifle.  Very happy with it so far.  The caliber changing capability of the DTA is what sealed the deal for me.  6 calibers in one rifle is a huge win IMO.  I'm looking for a 6.5 and 338LM barrel now.

The DTA def isnt for everyone.  The bolt placement is awkward until you get used to it.  I shot another forum members a couple years ago and using his technique I got hooked on the rifle.  Very happy with it so far.  The caliber changing capability of the DTA is what sealed the deal for me.  6 calibers in one rifle is a huge win IMO.  I'm looking for a 6.5 and 338LM barrel now.

Absolutely.  And I love how compact they are.  They balance extremely well and i'd much rather lug one of those around than my AI.  I'm not a huge fan of the single-stage trigger (I prefer a good two-stage) and the magazines are apparently finicky and have a slightly limited capacity.  Otherwise its a phenomenal platform.

The mags are 

Absolutely.  And I love how compact they are.  They balance extremely well and i'd much rather lug one of those around than my AI.  I'm not a huge fan of the single-stage trigger (I prefer a good two-stage) and the magazines are apparently finicky and have a slightly limited capacity.  Otherwise its a phenomenal platform.

The mags can be finicky (gota really make sure they are seated well) which is a shame considering how much the rifle is.  That being said it wasn't enough of an issue to detract me.  I've only had an issue on one reload.  They do have 10rd short action mags now although they are very hard to find.  

As far as the trigger goes I feel ya on that one.  I use Geisselle SSA triggers in all my AR's so Im used to the 2 stage.  The DTA trigger is adjustable though and I have it set at about the second break on an SSA.  Again took getting used to but I am comfortable with it now.  

All in all I have adapted more to this gun than any other I have owned save one (Tavor) but now that I am used to it I really enjoy it and plan to use it to its full capability in a few classes.

The mags are 

The mags can be finicky (gota really make sure they are seated well) which is a shame considering how much the rifle is.  That being said it wasn't enough of an issue to detract me.  I've only had an issue on one reload.  They do have 10rd short action mags now although they are very hard to find.  

As far as the trigger goes I feel ya on that one.  I use Geisselle SSA triggers in all my AR's so Im used to the 2 stage.  The DTA trigger is adjustable though and I have it set at about the second break on an SSA.  Again took getting used to but I am comfortable with it now.  

All in all I have adapted more to this gun than any other I have owned save one (Tavor) but now that I am used to it I really enjoy it and plan to use it to its full capability in a few classes.

Sounds like a plan to me!  Look into Freddy's courses over in Lewistown PA with Black Hat Training Corps.  I've taken a few of his classes so far and haven't been disappointed.  In fact i'll be going to a bunch more training with him this year.  Hope to see you there!  

You ready to buy it? Its brand new! Just got the rings last month. Havent even torqued anything down yet. Im working on a deal on an AIAX in 6.5 but if you have any interest, Ill just go buy an AXMC instead! Save me the price of another scope!

:facepalm:

One place I have investigated. Its a little far but if you call ahead they have a bunk house you can shack up in.

http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com/facilities.htm

Thats the place i go to. There are a couple hotels nearby. I stay at the Super 8.

The clubhouse isnt a place you can sleep in. If you are part of a group that rents the range, then you can use it (bring a cot), otherwise, hotels are your go to.