Sign in to follow this  
brucin

Obtaining a FL non resident CCW while staying in FL

My brother in-law is retired and currently staying in FL for the winter. He wants to get his FL non-resident permit while he's down there so he goes to the LGS in Clermont where he is staying since they offer classes.

The guy at the counter told him he can't take the class because it's different for residents than non-residents. I understand the form being different but the class should be the same I would think.

The guy also mentioned something about him maybe being able to get it because he is a veteran but my brother in-law does not have his DD214 with him.

I told him to contact FL Dept. Of Agriculture since they issue the permits and ask them.

Anyone have any info or experience doing this?

Thanks

I got my FL license by showing a DD-214, you said he doesn't have his on him....but I can confirm a DD-214 satisfies the training requirement. Maybe you or someone else can fax a copy of it down to him?

If not, you can get a copy of your DD-214 online...IDK how long it takes to get a physical copy in your hand.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

"(...)he goes to the LGS in Clermont where he is staying since they offer classes.

The guy at the counter told him he can't take the class because it's different for residents than non-residents (...)"

This is the basically the moment when you turn around and quickly leave the store... You don't want people like that to TEACH you.

2 other thoughts:

1) If he wants to get the CCW there by applying in one of the regional offices of Department of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs he'd better set an appointment with them asap. When we were in Miami with my wife a month ago I wanted her to apply in person in Miami-Dade office - no luck, they had no single spot for an appointment available for subsequent 3 or 4 weeks. The thing is that we went to this office anyway to hand them over all the paperwork together with prints - those guys are SLOW and LAZY, sorry for saying this in such an explicit way...

2) Let him go through the paperwork required for application. The thing is that the list is so broad that many people who shoot for some time can often find something there. DD214 should definitely work. I guess hunting license from any state (valid or expired) should also probably work. If he shoots USPSA (probably IDPA as well, just have no idea), he can probably print out a page with his classifiers and stick it to USPSA membership card - this should work as a sufficient proof of "participation in organized shooting competitions" which is also an acceptable proof of familiarity with firearms...

There are many ways to satisfy the training requirement for a FL CCW permit. Something is amiss with what he was told. Florida does not distinguish between a resident and non-resident permit - for that matter your address does not appear on the permit, so why would the course be different. I think that guy wants to charge a premium to non-residents.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

There are many ways to satisfy the training requirement for a FL CCW permit. Something is amiss with what he was told. Florida does not distinguish between a resident and non-resident permit - for that matter your address does not appear on the permit, so why would the course be different. I think that guy wants to charge a premium to non-residents.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

My NJ address is on my FL CCW

Thanks for the advice so far guys. just got off the phone with my brother in-law. He has a NJ issued Veterans ID card that states he produced a DD 214 to get. Any one think FL will accept this in lieu of the original DD 214?

He is going to call the Dept Of Agriculture on Monday to be sure but we all know how calls to government entities can go.

Interesting. I guess they no longer put it on. Well, mine is good until 2016 and I'll hope be living in FL by then.

Yes, they don't put addresses anymore. The guy I talked to in Miami-Dade office of the Dept of Agriculture (he was in charge of accepting those applications) told me that this is due to privacy concerns - Florida officials don't want you to get in trouble if you lose this card, bad guy finds it and realizes you might have lots_of_guns at this specified address.

brucin, I think your brother-in-law should still try to set an appointment in one of their regional offices and get there with all the papers. I read that those applications are processed much faster than the ones with paper fingerprint cards... Worst case scenario - he will just be told that he needs to bring some other proof of firearm familiarity, that's it...

Does the FBI recognize the FL and/or UT CCW Permit as a valid background check to exempt one from the NICS check?

This is an interesting question that I'd like to know the answer to. I assume it would only waive the NICS in the state that issued the permit.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

^^^^ this ^^^^

I got mine while visiting my dad who is a resident and we took the class & submitted it together, we both did the exact same thing. There is one permit & Florida issues it to people whether they live there or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk