TonyS.

Hornady revised PTX dies?

So guys I just got my Hornady L-n-L AP last week and have started to slowly get together a list of what I need. Since this Monday I've been trying to buy Powderfunnel.com' s Universal PTX but their retailer is OOS and hasn't returned my calls or emails (left 1 v/m with Powderfunnels today, no response yet).  Now I've read about Hornady's PTX dies. The older ones were supposedly useless but the new ones I've read mixed reviews on. Anyone here using a new one and how's it going? FWIW I'd be reloading for .45acp. Thanks.

Tried using it and switched back to the regular powder drop.  If you're not changing calibers they're ok but I prefer to expand and powder drop separately.  It's not easy to adjust with the PTX dies but once it's dialed in properly you're good to go.... If you're doing multiple calibers you should probably get multiple powder drops.....

As stated, for one caliber, it is not necessary to use a powder through expander. I use them, but I run 4 calibers. If you are using lead or plated bullets, find an expander that is a bit larger then your bullet diameter. For 9mm [355-356] I use a 357 expander. I find it also helps to polish[not grind] the cone section to a smooth mirror surface - helps with releasing the case on the down stroke.

For jacketed bullets, the standard size will do.

Make sure you do not over flare the mouth - kills brass life.

What exactly are you looking to put in the space that the PTX frees up?  

You have 5 stations -- what do you want them to be? 

Station 1 -- Size --  I deprime before cleaning so I remove all my decapping pins from my sizing dies

2 -- Expand  -- I use a lyman X expander die for all calibers I reload on the hornady

3 --  powder charge 

4 -- Seat

5 -- Crimp

My planned setup is:

1: Deprime / Resize
-------1.5: Primer seating
2: Case Mouth Expansion (flaring) / Powder Drop
3: Powder Check
4: Bullet Seating
5: Crimp

I've got the carbide Redding 3-die set on the way and that'll be for steps 1,4,5. I have the RCBS Lock-out Die for step 3. So IIRC the only die component left I need is the PTX for step 2. Am I correct? Thanks.

The main benefit of using the PTX expander or powderfunnel, etc is to free up a station for powder check.

You could always seat/crimp at the same station.

I use the PTX expander with the adjustment bar for all calibers I load, 45 acp, .38 spl, 9mm, .40, and have had no issues.  I use either berrys or ibejiheads.  Its all in the setup, just make sure you take your time with the adjustments.

2 issues I have had, all when I was setting up my .40:

I did not have the powder drop tube adjusted properly so the powder drop did not fully cycle all the way up.  There was a gap between the PTX and drop tube.  Adjusting that tube lower resolved my issues

Also, when I had the flare adjustment set too much it didn't bell the case but actually bulged the base of the case.  Once I figured out that was the case, backing out the adjustment corrected everything.  Havent had any issues since and I have thousands of rounds thru the press with this setup.

I use the PTX for both .45 and 9mm... You don't need 2 powdered drops, but it would be wise to get how ever many quick change powder drop attachments for the calibers your doing. It works fine for me.. but to note, the PTX die will not over bell the case... it actually doesnt put much of a bell on the case at all(thats the difference between the old and new ones from 3 years ago)..This had to do with consistency issues. I run them so i can use both a separate crimp and cop die.

They did add a limiting adjustment to keep the powder drop arms from assuming the force of expanding the case mouth.

My planned setup is:

I've got the carbide Redding 3-die set on the way and that'll be for steps 1,4,5. I have the RCBS Lock-out Die for step 3. So IIRC the only die component left I need is the PTX for step 2. Am I correct? Thanks.

This is the way I have mine set up. I use the PTX and have 2 powder measure and 4 quick change powder drop attachments, one for each caliber. One powder drop for 9 and 45 and the other for 357 and 44.

My planned setup is:

If you have the redding 3 die set coming your still going to need another crimp die -- The set will come with a seating/crimp die as 1 die  

You'll get a sizing die, expander die and the seat crimp die -- The way you want to set up you're going to throw out the expender die and still need either a seating or crimping die --

I would suggest getting the lee factory crimp die for whatever calibers you are loading -- use this die as your final stage -- it will crimp and also check and repair and irregularities in the cases

I personally have no need for a powder check die -- My powder check is me -- I'm not just a monkey pulling a handle -- It's my job to pay attention and look into each case as I place a bullet on top to be seated

If you have the redding 3 die set coming your still going to need another crimp die -- The set will come with a seating/crimp die as 1 die  

You'll get a sizing die, expander die and the seat crimp die -- The way you want to set up you're going to throw out the expender die and still need either a seating or crimping die --

I personally have no need for a powder check die -- My powder check is me -- I'm not just a monkey pulling a handle -- It's my job to pay attention and look into each case as I place a bullet on top to be seated

The Redding 3-die Pro set contains the deprime/sizer, seating, and taper crimp dies so I won't need another crimp die. I've been doing more research on Hornaday's new PTX dies and they seem to be OK now. Very few complaints, whereas the old ones were considered by most to be useless.

As for the powder check, I figure it can't hurt. I will still use my eyes but having another way of checking isn't a bad idea, IMO.  I'm an amateur machinist so I keep watch over any work I'm doing. Yesterday I had an idea of simply taking a pvc or plastic tubing and attaching it to the Hornaday bullet feeing die that they use with their bullet feeding system. I can load up the tube with my bullets and it should work fine, though it may not be as snazzy as their system. :)

sorry-- Missed the "pro" part of the set

Redding dies are my 1st choice when they are available -- 

Where would you put the bullet feeding die?  -- I'm not familiar with it but doesn't it just feed bullets and nothing else

Sounds like you need a press with more stages

I spoke to Hornady support and the guy stated the bullet feeding die only slightly seats the bullet, but a separate seating die will still be needed. I don't know how I thought the feeding die would also seat but at least I now know. I think for now I'm going to go with my original setup plan:

I may change over to replacing the power check with the bullet feeder but we shall see. At least I got the PTX with the bullet feeder die now.