koontz946

Bought my first house...

Well I closed on my house yesterday, and being that it's my first, I know there's a lot of things I don't know about being a homeowner.

I DO know that locks have to be re-keyed, but aside from that, and introducing myself to the neighbors, what are some 'first steps' y'all recommend?

Edit:

I know about DL, FID, and utilities, too.

figure out where to put the safe. and get to know where all the utility shutoffs are, water, gas,oil, are the breakers labeled....dont forget the outside stuff if you need them like a snowblower or shovel. the first steps list never ends, congrats.

figure out where to put the safe. and get to know where all the utility shutoffs are, water, gas,oil, are the breakers labeled....dont forget the outside stuff if you need them like a snowblower or shovel. the first steps list never ends, congrats.

Luckily my home inspector pointed out the main shutoffs for water and gas, and I'm absolutely going to label all the breakers!

I do have shovels, but other yard/property maintaining tools I need to get. Thinking rake, weed whacker, mower, snow blower, ice chipper, yard scissors... Am I forgetting anything?

Thank you for the advice!

Edit: I already know where the current safe is going... Now to figure out where the new ones go!

If you have a basement, inspect sump pump, replace if needed.

I'd recommend at minimum a battery backup sump pump. If you want to add another layer of protection add a water driven pump, and a backup generator for sump pump protection and heat

If you have a basement, inspect sump pump, replace if needed.

I'd recommend at minimum a battery backup sump pump. If you want to add another layer of protection add a water driven pump, and a backup generator for sump pump protection and heat

Luckily (IMO) there is no basement... Lower level walks out to the back yard.

Lost my last apartment and 2 cars to Irenes flooding... You'll never see me in a house by water!

Backup generator is def on my list!

Any painting/flooring planned?

DO IT NOW!!!!!

Once you move in, it gets much more difficult.

Check every outlet for correct wiring. There is a 4 dollar tool you plug in and the led on it tell you if it is good.

Painting is first on the list... Luckily the floors are in excellent shape, and all the electrical is new and functional (GFCIs in proper places, etc)

The home inspector did check all the outlets... He was thorough as hell!

Flashlights in strategic places, or those plug-in lights that come on when the power goes out.

Another great idea... I have a few flashlights currently but I'd rather have more than not enough.

Keep 'em coming!

Edit: Thank you Howard!

You don't need a locksmith to re-key. Home Depot sells a whole kit that's reasonably priced and all locks will have the same key. I told my brother (homeowner for years) that I had an appointment for a locksmith & he laughed at me! That also taught me a lesson: look at Lowes & Home Depot BEFORE you plan a project because sometimes they have cool stuff you didn't even realize was available. Here's a recent example - I wanted my outside lights on a timer but I assumed I would have to buy a timer and wire it in somewhere and it would be a whole big project. Turns out they make a small timer that actually takes the place of a decora wall switch, wired up easy and now my driveway is lit when I come home!

b98285bd5a9b80121c35daf7a1ef09e2.jpg

Basement, attic, or garage storage organizers. Figure out how you want to organize things now. Once you have "room" you start to acquire things quickly.

Figure out what every switch does... I've been in my house 7 years and still don't know what all the switches do.

If you're married or have a serious SO, claim the room for your man cave now.. Otherwise it will be an office, spare bedroom, nursery, or walk in closet.

Any painting/flooring planned?

DO IT NOW!!!!!

Once you move in, it gets much more difficult.

Check every outlet for correct wiring. There is a 4 dollar tool you plug in and the led on it tell you if it is good.

This is key!!

Especially if you have plans to redo or change the flooring.

Second part of this is, DON'T go cheap on paint. It's like our guns, buy once, cry once. Getting cheap paint means you need to primer, do multiple coats....just get the good stuff and decent brushes.

@BD104X That's interesting I'll definitely look into redoing the locks myself. Thanks!

@bry@n Def painting first... Going to add some ceiling fans but I'd rather have the rooms set up first. I can patch and repaint if need be.

@voyager9 Spent a couple hours after the closing checking out the switches... She already wants to change the switch and outlet covers! And man caves are established... As is her walk-in closet.

Most non-powered garden tools can be bought at garage sales, often at a deep discount, and if you find an older occupant of a home, chances are those tools are 20+ yrs old and were built better than many things that are available today.  Unfortunately, it's not garage sale season - but Craigslist could be your friend.

I changed all my own locks and I went with Medeco - they're quite expensive, but they are quality, and I will take the two deadbolts with me whenever I move.  i'll just go to Walmart and buy a $12 set of locks for the new homeowner as they are likely going to change the locks anyway...

I am assuming you had a high level home inspection where they went over condition of all equipment.  Oh - light bulbs, buy some extra light bulbs cause inevitably you will lose a bulb at 11 at night.

Actually now may be a very good time to buy a lawn mower as they're "out of season" and you may be able to get a clearance deal.

This is key!!

Especially if you have plans to redo or change the flooring.

Second part of this is, DON'T go cheap on paint. It's like our guns, buy once, cry once. Getting cheap paint means you need to primer, do multiple coats....just get the good stuff and decent brushes.

Flooring is going to stay... It's all original hardwood that the previous owner unearthed from shag carpet.  Good tip on the paint... I loathe painting so I plan on hiring someone to do it... but I'll make sure to pick a good product (try to save on labor, not on materials)

Most non-powered garden tools can be bought at garage sales, often at a deep discount, and if you find an older occupant of a home, chances are those tools are 20+ yrs old and were built better than many things that are available today.  Unfortunately, it's not garage sale season - but Craigslist could be your friend.

I changed all my own locks and I went with Medeco - they're quite expensive, but they are quality, and I will take the two deadbolts with me whenever I move.  i'll just go to Walmart and buy a $12 set of locks for the new homeowner as they are likely going to change the locks anyway...

I am assuming you had a high level home inspection where they went over condition of all equipment.  Oh - light bulbs, buy some extra light bulbs cause inevitably you will lose a bulb at 11 at night.

Actually now may be a very good time to buy a lawn mower as they're "out of season" and you may be able to get a clearance deal.

Absolutely on the light bulbs... and great point about the mowers and non-snow yard tools.

I'll definitely look into doing the locks myself... my one hangup is that the garage doors are keyed the same as the rest of the doors, but I plan on replacing the garage doors and installing openers anyway, so that issue will soon become void.

Probably a good idea to have your AC system serviced in the spring when the temperature hits 70. Keep the air filters changed if your heating/ac system is forced air. Just buy yourself a case of whatever size your unit takes so you've got enough for the year. Should be changed every 30 days. Can't tell you how many no heat calls I get because of that. I ask when the last time they changed an air filter was, their answer "we have an air filter?" "Not since we moved in two years ago". if your using natural gas chances are the boiler or furnace should require very little maintenance. Maybe have someone look every couple year's. Another good practice is to drain about 5 gallons of water from the water heater seasonally or twice a year. Keeps the bottom from building up mineral deposits.

My tip which has been proven valuble to me is Subscribe to consumer reports. Use them as your bible when buying things for the house.

My other tip would be to buy the best power equipment you can scag,redmax and if you take care of them you will never need another. Honda makes the best snowblowers in the world :)

If you plan to be there any length of time take a lot at having more insulation put in the attic, most homes don't have enough.  Not only will it save you money on HVAC but it will make the house more comfortable.

As for energy efficiency get rid of any incandescent bulbs and replace them with LED, sure they cost money up front but you will be amazed at what they save you on your electric bill.  I had a big chandelier with 12 60 watt bulbs (720 watts total) above a big open stairway that we would have on for a good 5 hours a day.  I replaced those bulbs with LED bulbs that look the same when lit and actually give off more light and they consume a total of under 80 watts.  Even at the $6/bulb I paid at Costco they paid for them selves in under a year.

Last energy item, if you plan to be there a while and have the right exposure is solar panels.  The return on them is great.  I have had mine almost 9 years and they paid for themselves in three years and have been a cashcow ever since.  I've to at 10wk array that produces about 1,200 kwh a month.

Probably a good idea to have your AC system serviced in the spring when the temperature hits 70. Keep the air filters changed if your heating/ac system is forced air. Just buy yourself a case of whatever size your unit takes so you've got enough for the year. Should be changed every 30 days. Can't tell you how many no heat calls I get because of that. I ask when the last time they changed an air filter was, their answer "we have an air filter?" "Not since we moved in two years ago". if your using natural gas chances are the boiler or furnace should require very little maintenance. Maybe have someone look every couple year's. Another good practice is to drain about 5 gallons of water from the water heater seasonally or twice a year. Keeps the bottom from building up mineral deposits.

I'll definitely have a professional take a look at the AC unit when it gets warmer... As far as filters, I'll be on that like white on rice.  Previous owners left no filters so that's on my list of first to be sized and replaced!  The house is forced hot air, and having pets (her cat for now, but I want a dog) is there a specific type of filter I should go for?

I'll definitely have a professional take a look at the AC unit when it gets warmer... As far as filters, I'll be on that like white on rice. Previous owners left no filters so that's on my list of first to be sized and replaced! The house is forced hot air, and having pets (her cat for now, but I want a dog) is there a specific type of filter I should go for?

The regular cheap 30 day filters work great as long as you change them every 30 days. Don't buy the heavy pleated filters like the 3M filtre. We call those "furnace killer's" too much airflow restricted when you use them. Should only be one filter in the return duct either at the unit itself or in the hallway in the main return. The size will be on the old one. Also they are directional! The arrow on the filter must point towards the unit itself.

If you plan to be there any length of time take a lot at having more insulation put in the attic, most homes don't have enough.  Not only will it save you money on HVAC but it will make the house more comfortable.

As for energy efficiency get rid of any incandescent bulbs and replace them with LED, sure they cost money up front but you will be amazed at what they save you on your electric bill.  I had a big chandelier with 12 60 watt bulbs (720 watts total) above a big open stairway that we would have on for a good 5 hours a day.  I replaced those bulbs with LED bulbs that look the same when lit and actually give off more light and they consume a total of under 80 watts.  Even at the $6/bulb I paid at Costco they paid for them selves in under a year.

Last energy item, if you plan to be there a while and have the right exposure is solar panels.  The return on them is great.  I have had mine almost 9 years and they paid for themselves in three years and have been a cashcow ever since.  I've to at 10wk array that produces about 1,200 kwh a month.

The attic is actually (IMHO) very well insulated... I went up there after I had the keys and it was COLD (had the thermostat set to 65 and it was comfortable throughout the house.)  Even the pull down ladder is insulated!

Are LED the way to go nowadays?  I have CFL in my current home, and bought a LED bulb as a test, and it lasted 2 days in my kitchen.  Not sure if I got a bad bulb, or if it wasn't designed to be next to a higher heat output bulb, or what... but for $15 or whatever it cost I wasn't impressed.

Solar panels are a 'definite maybe.'  The positioning of the house on the property, and the fact that there are only two trees that I need to worry about has left it as a very possible option.  Did you purchase them outright or did you go through one of the companies that's trying to get in ahead of the fad?

BTW Thank you to everyone who has offered advice... it helps more than you may know!