koontz946

Bought my first house...

They (sellers) had an ADT system I think... big-ass control panel by the front door... a lot different than the panel my parents have at their home.  I'm definitely going to utilize an early alarm system, but as we all know the FIRST line of defense is inside the home.

If you have the codes I think you can still use the ADT alarm without notification features, so at least you'll definitely be aware of a break-in duirng the middle of the night, or a prospective intruder trying to get in when you aren't home will hopefully get scared off. If not, you can just replace the control panel and keypads with your own system since all the wiring and sensors have already been put in. I was able to swap out an existing control panel and keypads with Honeywell Vista components relatively easily.

I would have taken it back, but I bought it on a whim at Shop Rite and threw away the packaging and receipt thinking it would last...

So go back to ShopRite, but the exact same bulb, save the packaging and the reciept, and return the bad one in a couple weeks. No big deal...

Get a digital moisture moisture meter for drywall and poke holes to look for mold. Buy a ladder. If your bedroom is on a second floor, buy an escape ladder. I bought a house in August, and it's been one new problem after another.

Get a digital moisture moisture meter for drywall and poke holes to look for mold. Buy a ladder. If your bedroom is on a second floor, buy an escape ladder. I bought a house in August, and it's been one new problem after another.

I bought some cheese from Wegmanns called La Fromagarie and it smelled like the mold under my sink.

I forgot to mention,  I have a Honda walk-behind (self-propelled) lawn mower if you need one.  I never use it since I bought my tractor.  It's shed-stored, in really good shape with bagger and mulch blade.  (whichever people prefer)  Likely needs the carb cleaned out since it has been sleeping for a few years.

Or if anyone else is interested, ping me.

I'd like to get a few bucks for it, or something in trade, since the last tune-up alone ran me around $80, but as always, I try to make decent deals with forum members.

- Check all outlets with an outlet tester for proper wiring. I go the extra step and use a multimeter, check across both hot/neutral/ground and make sure they behave properly. I've seen some weird dangerous crap wiring or faults that will still have the outlet in functional order , yet be a fire waiting to happen.

- Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... Perform maintenance on everything that needs it. for instance with HVAC (filters, condensate pump, yearly check up). Have any driveway cracks repaired, and have it sealed every few years. Prep and paint any exterior wood trim if you have any, especially around doors. I find a high quality oil based high gloss works best for looks and longevity.

- Have the roof checked for any issues, especially around chimney's and other I/O areas. Easy to do yourself if you can get up there. Seal any cracked areas even if there aren't any apparent leaks (yet) with proper roof sealant. Check flashing for any damage and repair if needed.

- Security : DIY wireless alarm system with monitoring, I use nextalarm.com. Look into anti-kick plates for your entry doors. You can have the best deadbolt in the world, but it is only as good as the strength of the door and the frame that the bolt locks into. No need to pick or drill a lock if you can kick the door in, which is also 99% faster. Kick-in's and rear slider door smash-through's are the two most common forms of forced entry. Install motion flood lights around the perimeter of the house. A camera system would be icing on the cake.

-Nice to do : Keep up with the landscaping and general exterior cosmetics. Your neighbors will respect and like you for taking interest in keeping up the appearance of the neighborhood. You would rather be "that guy who moved in and really did a nice job on that house", over the alternative options if your front looks like a haunted weed farm.

Congrats and good luck!

If you don't have a snow shovel, get one before a storm comes. Depending on how much driveway & sidewalk you would have to shovel u may want to invest in a snow blower.

Same goes for rock salt. Buy it now.

Once the storm comes people go all crazy. Milk, bread, eggs, snow shovels and salt all fly off the shelf!

If you don't have a snow shovel, get one before a storm comes. Depending on how much driveway & sidewalk you would have to shovel u may want to invest in a snow blower.

Same goes for rock salt. Buy it now.

Once the storm comes people go all crazy. Milk, bread, eggs, snow shovels and salt all fly off the shelf!

Did you ever wonder why people go nuts over the shovels when every storm comes along?  The food and salt, I can see, but once you buy a shovel, you have a shovel for re-use.  Or do they throw them away a few days later?  :)

Did you ever wonder why people go nuts over the shovels when every storm comes along? The food and salt, I can see, but once you buy a shovel, you have a shovel for re-use. Or do they throw them away a few days later? :)

Mines got to be 10 years old by now. The edge on the head of the shovel is all beat up. Might see if it's replacable or may need to buy a new shovel.

Time to buy a 2nd shovel as my oldest daughter can start pitching in when we get hit hard or I'm at work. Youngest daughter has a kid's sized shovel. She loves to get out and help.....for about 15 minutes or so.