Purple Patrick

Looking for 308 battle rifle recommendations

Plastic trumps metal, really? I can flex the mag well on my Glock with my fingers wouldn't be too hard to crack the frame. I'll keep my S&W 59, I can outshoot any Glock owner with that pistol and I know it's durable, reliable and accurate out of the box..

I own a plastic gun, a trade-in .40 Glock 22 (Gen 2) and like it a lot, very comfortable and pretty accurate so I'm not 100% anti-plastic I'm 99% anti-plastic.

Sometimes simple is better, you can load your plastic SCAR up with plastic toys, I'll keep my all metal G3 and FAL with iron sights.

OP asked for options, he was given them and should try out one of each at the range (or, fondle one of each at a store) and see which he likes better.

I can purposely break my FAL in half with my bare hands if I want to too.  Same with any gun.  But will a Glock break if you drop it?  Throw it from a moving car?  A plane?  It's been done and the answer is a resounding nope.  Plastic is superior because it absorbs energy well while being strong and lightweight.  Plus it's cheaper to make and easier to form.

My "plastic" SCAR comes with metal iron sights.  The only thing that is plastic is the lower and the stock... wait, isn't the furniture of the FAL/G3 made from plastic too?  My SCAR is technically more metal than those guns are... 

OP asked a question that really depends on his willingness to pay the money and do the work.  If price isn't a concern, the SCAR is the best option for a 308 Battle Rifle, hands down.  It outshoots the others, is lighter, easier to disassemble, and modular to fit any need.

I can purposely break my FAL in half with my bare hands if I want to too.  Same with any gun.  But will a Glock break if you drop it?  Throw it from a moving car?  A plane?  It's been done and the answer is a resounding nope.  Plastic is superior because it absorbs energy well while being strong and lightweight.  Plus it's cheaper to make and easier to form.

My "plastic" SCAR comes with metal iron sights.  The only thing that is plastic is the lower and the stock... wait, isn't the furniture of the FAL/G3 made from plastic too?  My SCAR is technically more metal than those guns are... 

OP asked a question that really depends on his willingness to pay the money and do the work.  If price isn't a concern, the SCAR is the best option for a 308 Battle Rifle, hands down.  It outshoots the others, is lighter, easier to disassemble, and modular to fit any need.

I've seen a Glock dropped 20 feet with a round chambered and it didn't go off and was fine, plastic degrades without a UV stabilizer.

You can very much thank Heckler & Koch for the Glock, if it wasn't for HK you wouldn't have plastic pistols.

G3 and FAL have wood furniture, but many opt for the black synthetic furniture but have all steel receivers.

OP is the only one who can decide which is best for him, if he has enough disposable income get one of each (G3/FAL/SCAR). You really can't base a purchase on what is said here, he should handle them and preferably shoot them to decide.

The rear iron sight on my SCAR doesn't move with the lower like it does on your FAL. Carcano , its a rather straw man argument to imply any accessories one would attach to a SCAR are cheap and arbitrary.

"You can very much thank Heckler & Koch for the Glock, if it wasn't for HK you wouldn't have plastic pistols."

This is just plainly a silly statement. Its like saying if Benz didn't make the first car there would be no cars today.

"You can very much thank Heckler & Koch for the Glock, if it wasn't for HK you wouldn't have plastic pistols."

This is just plainly a silly statement. Its like saying if Benz didn't make the first car there would be no cars today.

No, Heckler & Koch designed and produced the first poly handgun YEARS before Glock. Dupont invented and patented the material used to manufacture it. Did you not know that? now you do.

Dude you are embarrassing yourself.  Not for nothing but plastic has been used in guns since forever, in grips and so on not to mention the Nylon 66 which had both stocks and receivers made of plastic. The MP40 had a bakelite lower, sortof. 

Everything is evolutionary, get over your fan boy mentality because you'll just make yourself look foolish. 

Im well aware, But your saying it would never happen if they didn't do it first. Im saying it would have been someone else to be first so they would indeed still exist. But hey, you can stay on the side of the fence steeped in lore. Be my guest. But your logic behind the rifle you champion is seriously flawed. When I run into guys like you who tell me their Imbel kit FAL is just as good as X, it usually means they were feint of wallet.....

Dude you are embarrassing yourself.  Not for nothing but plastic has been used in guns since forever, in grips and so on not to mention the Nylon 66 which had both stocks and receivers made of plastic. The MP40 had a bakelite lower, sortof. 

Everything is evolutionary, get over your fan boy mentality because you'll just make yourself look foolish. 

I would tell you where to shove it but this would end up in 1A and I'm not tempted to keep playing your game.

Im well aware, But your saying it would never happen if they didn't do it first. Im saying it would have been someone else to be first so they would indeed still exist. But hey, you can stay on the side of the fence steeped in lore. Be my guest. But your logic behind the rifle you champion is seriously flawed. When I run into guys like you who tell me their Imbel kit FAL is just as good as X, it usually means they were feint of wallet.....

Far from it, my family is extremely well off and well known in South Jersey. If I want something I buy it, money has never been a issue. I could go out and buy 500 SCAR rifles in cash right now, would I? no, I do not like the design (amongst other things) which I stated two pages back.

If you ever stay at a Sandals/Beaches property tell me ahead of time...

Carcano, then it would seem it is truly a "love" for the platform for you. And... I get it! With that being said, some of us look at it in entirely a non emotional way. I like to use golf clubs as an example. If I need to make a certain type of hit I want club X, another type of hit, club Y. I tend to favor rifles with broad strengths, not a single strength and a handful of weaknesses. Im not here to convince you a SCAR is a better rifle for you. Although I think you sell it far short for the capabilities it brings. Im discussing the merits with no emotional investments in any system. I had a DSA SA58C, an early one that was exceptionally well made. But the limitations for optics and the ergonomics saddled with a hinge mag system were all deal breakers for me. I find that is common for most people wanting a little more from their rifle than Iron sights and reliability.

Carcano, then it would seem it is truly a "love" for the platform for you. And... I get it! With that being said, some of us look at it in entirely a non emotional way. I like to use golf clubs as an example. If I need to make a certain type of hit I want club X, another type of hit, club Y. I tend to favor rifles with broad strengths, not a single strength and a handful of weaknesses. Im not here to convince you a SCAR is a better rifle for you. Although I think you sell it far short for the capabilities it brings. Im discussing the merits with no emotional investments in any system. I had a DSA SA58C, an early one that was exceptionally well made. But the limitations for optics and the ergonomics saddled with a hinge mag system were all deal breakers for me. I find that is common for most people wanting a little more from their rifle than Iron sights and reliability.

You made a good point and we have all voiced opinions, some like the SCAR, some like the FAL, some like the G3.

The OP really needs to handle each of those rifles and decide for himself which is best but he has three decent options on the plate.

If it was a bolt action rifle someone wanted I would recommend a nice Brown Precision rifle, I own one of these and have only shot it several times but it's a very accurate rifle with synthetic stock: http://brownprecision.com/precision-rifles/tactical-elite/

I have a SCAR-H and a FAL, the SCAR pretty much shits all over the FAL in every department... only reason anyone would buy a FAL these days is because they can't afford the SCAR.

NJ Legal SCAR-H Album

FN FAL

I just wanted to add that the Op asked for something cool / different - he didn't ask which is the better or more

efficient rifle.

That being said - I posted up a PTR-91 or a Fal because I think they are cool (old school, but still cool).

I think there are many people who can afford a SCAR and yet, because they like older military type weapons

would choose a FAL (especially a real FAL, not a clone) - not because it better, but because it different. 

jmo

• Like 1

I just wanted to add that the Op asked for something cool / different - he didn't ask which is the better or more

efficient rifle.

That being said - I posted up a PTR-91 or a Fal because I think they are cool (old school, but still cool).

I think there are many people who can afford a SCAR and yet, because they like older military type weapons

would choose a FAL (especially a real FAL, not a clone) - not because it better, but because it different. 

jmo

Very well said :)

Actually the OP asked about a 308AR :o . Citing the FAL was too pedestrian :D

But whats a little thread drift amongst friends :icon_twisted:

7.62x51 AR pattern rifle? those are nice, OK now the optics, rails, and tacticool side of me is starting to slowly emerge....I just gotta tell my FAL's and G3's the devil made me do it...

Honestly, I'm more annoyed at calling the SCAR 17 a piece of junk... where does someone get off doing that?  Makes any other argument that follows completely invalid.

LMT AR in 308 with bi-pod and optic, actually looks nice would like to shoot one buy hey OP here is another contender under $2K

lmt308roman.jpg

I've got one.  It's a pig.  I dropped the .308 barrel completely and it's now a dedicated 6.5 bench gun.  For general purpose stomping around, it's either my SCAR 17 or my lightweight .308 frankenbuild.

I've got one.  It's a pig.  I dropped the .308 barrel completely and it's now a dedicated 6.5 bench gun.  For general purpose stomping around, it's either my SCAR 17 or my lightweight .308 frankenbuild.

Agreed.  The SCAR is hard to beat.  I just wish the forearm were a few inches longer... luckily I have a Branham rail for it...

Didn't read a lot of the thread when it turned to SCAR vs FAL bash, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned

My opinion: Larue PredatOBR.

Wait times are down to ~30 days. The 556 PredatAR I got from them is awesome, cant wait to get a .308 big brother.

Edit: Crap didn't notice the $2k price limit. Is the option of waiting and saving longer an option?