dezil

ruger alaskan

Hello all I am new here from the woods of Sussex county. I have been a 44 mag guy for some time and recently found a ruger Alaskan in 45 lc and 454 casul....my question is 1) is the 45lc comparable to a 44 mag in recoil? How much more is the 454? 2) is it possible to shoot 45 acp with moon clips out of that pistol?.....anyone done it?

Hello all I am new here from the woods of Sussex county. I have been a 44 mag guy for some time and recently found a ruger Alaskan in 45 lc and 454 casul....my question is

1) is the 45lc comparable to a 44 mag in recoil? Personally I don't know.

How much more is the 454? Supposedly pretty snappy but manageable.

2) is it possible to shoot 45 acp with moon clips out of that pistol? You have to get the cylinder machined to accept clips.

.....anyone done it? Not me.

Great guns from all I hear. Let us know if you decide to go with one.

C

The long answer:

Recoil is directly related to momentum.    Momentum must be conserved.  The momentum of the bullet going down range must equal the momentum of the gun moving up range.  momentum is calculated using the formula mass * velocity = momentum.

All guns are not equal: larger frames have more mass.  Since momentum is mass * velocity, a gun with more mass will move backwards with less velocity.  So big guns kick less.  Semi-autos absorb some of the momentum in the slide spring while revolver's don't.  Because guns vary, felt recoil may be different than recoil.

If all features of the guns are the same, we can us the formula above, multiplying bullet mass in grains by the velocity in fps we get:

45ACP   187 grains * 938 fps = 175K ft gr / s

44Mag     217 grains * 1381 fps = 299K ft gr / s

45Colt    272 grains * 1294 fps = 351K ft gr / s

454 Casull     282 grains * 1685 fps = 475K ft gr / s

9mm    119 grains * 1140 8 1381 = fps 135K ft gr / s

The numbers in bold are the momentums of the various bullets and therefore the momentums backwards of the various guns. While foot grains per second doesn't mean much to us, the size of the numbers do. 

The short answer: 

A 45 Colt has 17% more recoil than a 44 mag.   A 454 Casull has 58% more recoil than a 44 mag.

I've never shot a 454 but I own a 45 colt.  My 15 year old daughter handles it fine.  Two of her skinny, waify friends also handled it fine but decided one shot was enough.

I own an ALASKAN great gun, shooting 45 meah not bad gun is heavy enough, 454 full power loads another story with it's short barrel it's pretty violent kicks like mule. Most friends that have shot it will never pull the trigger again. Shes a hand full but worth it. 

I have a Ruger Blackhawk 45 acp/45 Colt. I also have a Desert Eagle in 44 Mag

Haven't shot the Blackhawk with the 45 Colt much, but don't remember the recoil being much more than the acp in that gun, Definitely not as much as the semi-auto 44 mag.

45 Colt isn't typically loaded as hot as maintenance guy's figures. Commercial loads are usually 850-1,000 fps. Some 45 Colt +p rounds will get close to 44 magnum ranges.

44 magnum will be 50+% faster, in the 1,500 fps range.

454 Casull loads start around 1550 fps and go up from there.

First off I have to say wow some really awesome in for here and I thank all of you. I am a big .45 acp guy ( I own 4 of them ) and the idea that one gun could thoot three different rounds thrilled me. I love my 44......but its a big cumbersome colt anaconda with a 6 in barrel and not very good for backpacking.....and with some of the bears around here I want to make sure I have enough protection if I need it. That's why I liked the Alaskan....big power in a small package....and the idea that I could plink with 45 acp....and pack 45 lc or 454 for really opening up that industrial can of whoop ass if I need to. I am apprehensive about buying a gun chambered in a caliber I've never shot before and was looking for some assurance and I think I found it. Does anyone if the Alaskan will accept 45 acp with the moon clips or is that a myth?

Na deer slayer I wish.....I live out in the woods butted up against state land and the woman down the street calls the cops whenever I shoot. I am looking for a place to go....rtsp is beautiful but too far away.....

I only live ten min from RTSP. I'm the first town into Sussex County from Morris county. My house is exactly 1 mile from the county line.

I'm from Sussex County also. I've got one of these I have yet to shoot. I would assume it's probably as hard hitting as a 454 if not a little more. You have a backyard we can blow this thing off in? 0cbd720caafa65d36929819e4656df75.jpgcc281974b11b374cb8681cdfa440132f.jpg

I picked one of these a few weeks back in the 8&3/4" barrel

Shooting 45lc is a joke ( it feels like a 22lr) then when you get to a 454 it's a wake up call , then throw in a 300 gr 460 magnum and it's ridiculous ( I think it let out about a 2 ft blast)

I thought it was going to be like when going from a 38 to a 357 but it's more like going from a #8 shot to a 3" slug

I picked one of these a few weeks back in the 8&3/4" barrel

Shooting 45lc is a joke ( it feels like a 22lr) then when you get to a 454 it's a wake up call , then throw in a 300 gr 460 magnum and it's ridiculous ( I think it let out about a 2 ft blast)

I thought it was going to be like when going from a 38 to a 357 but it's more like going from a #8 shot to a 3" slug

That's a .500 magnum.