Sign in to follow this  
Lecky

Starting a new build

Good morning all, yesterday I picked up a Anderson lower to start my build, so now the research begins. I was thinking about purchasing a complete upper (not for competition) any recommendations would be appreciated. How's rock river, PSA, etc.... Should I get chrome lined, stainless? 14.5"or 16" and so on and so on. Thanks again everyone , for all the advice, its all the great member here that advised me to build and not buy and I'm glad that I didn't puss out and take the easy way out.

Depends on your budget...I have a Stag upper and a self assembled Bravo Company SPR upper...both have been great for their purposes...Most would agree here that if your budget allows go grab a complete upper from BCM..they have dozens of combinations...they also offer models with pinned comps..(although you can probably save a few and get the comp of your choice pinned locally)..Stag would be a few bucks cheaper and also will send NJ ready uppers..if you decide to build an upper you will find plenty of help and advice here...Good Luck and enjoy

You will need to think about what you want in your build.  There are many styles of AR.  Whether you want a carbine, varmint, etc.  Then you need to start on paper what features you would like for that kind of build.  Different builds are best served with different forearms, barrels, stocks, etc.  They we can help with your build. Look around, review the "lets see you AR posts and pictures".  Don't be in a rush to build without a clear picture of what you would like.

You will need to think about what you want in your build.  There are many styles of AR.  Whether you want a carbine, varmint, etc.  Then you need to start on paper what features you would like for that kind of build.  Different builds are best served with different forearms, barrels, stocks, etc.  They we can help with your build. Look around, review the "lets see you AR posts and pictures".  Don't be in a rush to build without a clear picture of what you would like.

great advice..

tell us what you want to do with the gun.. tell us what you liked and didnt like about other ARs that you shot.. budget as well.. and we can point you in the right direction..

When you say target do you mean just shooting paper or shooting tiny groups in paper. As far as a 1:9 twist, most barrels are now 1:7 and 1:8 and will eat 55gr projectiles all day and also allow you to shoot 69-77gr also. 

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-KMR-KeyMod-p/bcm-urg-mid-14bfh-kmr13.htm

here is a standard barrel, 14.5 inch and you can choose your break and have it installed. It also come with the BCG free

There are many more styles listed there, you can even get a stainless barrel if you are looking to shoot smaller groups.... The list goes on :)

OK so we have two areas you are interested in, target shooting and self defense. They are two different disciplines that don't really go together well, but we can adapt to possibly come to a happy middle of the road.  14.5" barrels with "light" contours do not lend to accurate target shooting, their purpose is in a CBQ or self defense environment, quick fast target acquisition.  Target shooting is best done with a 20" or longer barrel with a heavier profile for dead on accuracy.  Best blend of these two disciplines would put you in the 16 to 18 in barrel length, 1:8 twist and possibly a SS barrel.  To be honest will you I would look at 3 gun type uppers as the best solution to a multipurpose upper.  Chances of you ever using that upper in a self defense solution in NJ are two, none and none at all.  Go with the above suggestion you won't be disappointed.

my main go to gun is a 14in mid length gas system gun with a quality red dot and 3x magnifier.. the gun performs strongly inside 100 yards.. and can put shots on man sized targets out to 300 (max I have shot it)..  for me.. this is plenty accurate to enjoy paper punching at the range.. and run and gun style self defense shooting..

I am far from a great shot.. this is 75 yards with standard federal 55gr ammo while using the magnifier..

ar6.jpg

Congrats on deciding to build it. I purchased a 14.5 mid length upper from PSA last year. Have been very happy with it.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa/5-56-nato-223/14-7-pinned/psa-14-7-chf-mid-length-lightweight-unpinned-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

I went with some thing very basic b/c I wanted to learn about the gun, how it handles, shoots, etc before adding anything.

I purchased the lower parts combo from Midwest PX (vendor here) with the ALG Defense Trigger. I would recommend them. Very helpful, good prices and quick shipping.

http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=100&products_id=659

You'll be amazed how easy it is.

Great advice, thank you. What I do know so far is I want to build for target and self defense, 1:9 twist as all my ammo is 55 gr. I think 14.5 with a pinned muzzle brake to make it 16"

Unless you plan to get in out of vehicles a lot, I'd suggest a longer barrel. 16"-18" barrel are in my opinion ideal for the multi-purpose rifle.  Forget 1:9, there is no reason to worry about it, 1:7 and 1:8 are better choices.

Unless you plan to get in out of vehicles a lot, I'd suggest a longer barrel. 16"-18" barrel are in my opinion ideal for the multi-purpose rifle. Forget 1:9, there is no reason to worry about it, 1:7 and 1:8 are better choices.

Vlad would you be able to recommend 3-4 different complete uppers for me somewhere around the $500-$600 range.thank you

You may have to purchase a Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) and Charging Handle (CH) though they included them with mine.  ($100 -$150) 

You'll also need to get a comp/brake & have it installed ($75-$150) and a rear sight ($75ish)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/2408/category/4220/

Asking a group of gun guns "what upper should I get" and you'll get 20 different answers.  YOU need to narrow it down to what you want the rifle for.

I wanted a rifle for crowd control, close to midrange use....God forbid a riot type situation ever occurs. 

Some of the things I liked about this upper:

It's fairly light.  The barrel is made by FNH.  I could choose any comp/brake I wanted & wasn't limited to what was available by the manufacturer.  I could choose a BCG and CH....though they tossed them in for free and I'm currently using what came with it.  Also I wanted the stock hand guards / heat shields b/c I have no idea what rail system I want & I won't be wasting money by purchasing an upper that comes with a rail that I may not like.

I like a set up similar to this configuration b/c it is a blank canvas that you can customize the way you want to.

I'd go with this: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18865/s/psa-16-mid-length-chf-5-56-1-7-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle

Ready to go, includes charging handle and bolt, a decent barrel, no messing around with the 14.5" thing, midlength gas, etc.  For less then $400 I don't think you can do a lot better for all purpose rifle upper. All you need to shoot it a complete lower and some form of rear sight.

I'd go with this: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18865/s/psa-16-mid-length-chf-5-56-1-7-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle

Ready to go, includes charging handle and bolt, a decent barrel, no messing around with the 14.5" thing, midlength gas, etc.  For less then $400 I don't think you can do a lot better for all purpose rifle upper. All you need to shoot it a complete lower and some form of rear sight.

I have this upper It runs and looks great.

Buffer tubes come in what is know as mil spec or commercial. Difference is what grade aluminum they are made of and this affects their outside diameter, with commercial being slightly larger than mil spec. It is important when ordering a stock to know what kind of tube you have. I would pick your stock style first see what type of tube it takes and go from there.

Today I ordered a colt LPK with an ALG ACT Fire control group. Here we go its begining. now I have to find a stock and buffer tube. Are all buffer tubes the same diameter?

As far as diameters go, there's milspec and there's commercial. Typically, commercial sized extensions are made of 6061 aluminum and have cut threads. Milspec diameter extensions are made from either 7075 (stronger) or 6061 and have rolled (stronger) or cut threads. If cost is no object, you want a milspec diameter extension made from 7075 with rolled threads. The extensions in our house brand kit linked above are milspec diameter, 6061 aluminum, and have rolled threads. In my opinion, the threads being rolled is more important than the material type as it dramatically increases the surface area interaction between the extension and the receiver, giving it more strength.

Today I ordered a colt LPK with an ALG ACT Fire control group. Here we go its begining. now I have to find a stock and buffer tube. Are all buffer tubes the same diameter?

THANK YOU.  its nice to see people put real components in their lowers.   :)  

ive shot a lot of 16in carbine and 14.5 midlength.. i prefer the midlength all day... I know its a little of a hassle..

I'm with Vlad. My 300 blackout is 14.5 plus comp for 16.1 with a mid length gas. I'm building two rifles completely from Wilson combat parts in 5.56 and 6.8 using Wilson 14.7 match barrels and brakes with mid gas. I prefer the mid on the slightly shorter barrels as well. I'm not sure what the hassle you are referring to is?

I'm with Vlad. My 300 blackout is 14.5 plus comp for 16.1 with a mid length gas. I'm building two rifles completely from Wilson combat parts in 5.56 and 6.8 using Wilson 14.7 match barrels and brakes with mid gas. I prefer the mid on the slightly shorter barrels as well. I'm not sure what the hassle you are referring to is?

when I said hassle I was thinking in regards to living in PA where I don't need to pin a 16in gun... but especially in NJ.. you are going to pin and weld the brake anyway (so no extra hassle).. why not take the advantage of a slightly shorter barrel... especially when he is talking a self defense carbine... for me I want a SD gun to be as compact and light as possible...

when I said hassle I was thinking in regards to living in PA where I don't need to pin a 16in gun... but especially in NJ.. you are going to pin and weld the brake anyway (so no extra hassle).. why not take the advantage of a slightly shorter barrel... especially when he is talking a self defense carbine... for me I want a SD gun to be as compact and light as possible...

Ok thanks, I get it. Agree with what you are saying.