Sign in to follow this  
Lecky

Starting a new build

if you can stretch it a little this is an option 

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM%2DURG%2DMID%2D14%2DBFH

you can get it with the pinned comp already and then just need to grind off the bayonet lug.  find some cheap hand guards that someone upgraded to the MOE style or just buy the MOE style ones.  

there is also this one, http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LE6920CK

which gives you all of the parts but you'd need to add a compensator, get it pinned, and grind of the bayonet lug.  

something like this is pretty nice, but you need a bolt carrier group and charging  handle.   http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?158595-BCM-14-5-quot-Mid-Length-Upper-w-pinned-BC-1-5-and-Centurion-Arms-C4-Rail

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?161372-Colt-6920-LE-upper-w-DD-rail

there is a lot out there.  good time to buy

i realize i just gave three options over your budget, but i bet if you look around you can find something close

I wish it was that cheap and easy. Still need a welded comp. charging handle. Dust cover and forward assist. Your parts without those add up to $520. It doesn't really save you money over the colt or BCM. But you do get a free float rail I suppose

This BCM would be $600 with a mbus rear sight. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM%2DURG%2DM4%2D14SOCOM

BCM is giving FREE BOLT CARRIER GROUPS.  Just buy it.  Its 169 for free.  439 plus a comp (under 100) and buy USED moe handguards and rear sight.   You'll get under your $600

I personally couldn't pass on that deal and purchased a 14.5" BCM Upper for my first AR build. I'll probably be starting a new thread to ask a bunch of questions about my build shortly.

BCM is giving FREE BOLT CARRIER GROUPS.  Just buy it.  Its 169 for free.  439 plus a comp (under 100) and buy USED moe handguards and rear sight.   You'll get under your $600

checko, thanks for all your input, the bcm upper for $439 has the option for a permanently installed muzzle brake for $85,would you advise having them install it or have it done here in NJ, also what charging handle would you recommend? Thanks again

I would just get a mil spec ch if you want to keep costs down. Bcm ch's are definitely good to go. My CH of choice is the rainier arms raptor.

The muzzle device is up for debate. If you feel that the bcm comp satisfies all nj laws then you might as well. Others believe there is a gray area big enough to want to avoid it. Either way you will need compliance work done for the bayo lug.

The raptor is nice. But with a $600 budget I don't think $80 would go towards the charging handle for me

this... prioritize..

since you are getting the brake pinned and welded no matter what.. I would think about what kind of handguard you want... think this out.. if you need more time to bank more money.. get EXACTLY what you want.. I settled when I got my 14in upper.. and it was a great upper (spikes).. but when I finally decided I wanted a free float slim keymod handguard.. I spent some time cutting.. grinding.. shaving.. and fitting.. all of that could have been avoided with a little extra consideration..

You're gonna have to pin a comp to it anyway, so I would either choose a 14.5 or a 18" depending on if you want short or long(er) range shooting.  SOCOM profiles are generally heavier for full auto shooting.  Which you probably wont need. 

If its 14.5 id go lightweight, if 18 id go spr profile.   I don't know the cost difference between the 2 you're looking at.  If it is significantly less there is no issue with a 16

I'd stretch the extra 100 bucks and get it with their Mod 1 comp pinned and welded, 39 bucks for a BCM charging handle is a great price and 139 for a Keymod rail?   I have one on my 300 and it's fantastic.  

That's 700 bucks to you for what appears to be a super nice upper.  I almost wish I needed one at that price.  

You're gonna have to pin a comp to it anyway, so I would either choose a 14.5 or a 18" depending on if you want short or long(er) range shooting.  SOCOM profiles are generally heavier for full auto shooting.  Which you probably wont need. 

If its 14.5 id go lightweight, if 18 id go spr profile.   I don't know the cost difference between the 2 you're looking at.  If it is significantly less there is no issue with a 16

Hi checko, both the 14.5 and the 16 are the same price. Am I correct in saying that with the 14.5" upper for $439 if I was to choose the option to have the comp permenantly installed it would be jersey legal except for the bayo lug grind? I just want to be sure that the 2 comps they offer are jersey legal.

Hi checko, both the 14.5 and the 16 are the same price. Am I correct in saying that with the 14.5" upper for $439 if I was to choose the option to have the comp permenantly installed it would be jersey legal except for the bayo lug grind? I just want to be sure that the 2 comps they offer are jersey legal.

For the same price I would go 14.5. I can't definitively tell you it's legal. You need to look at the statue and see if the bcm sufficiently satisfies the law. Some say yes some say no. I chose to go another route. And yes you need the bayo lug done

I was researching Bcm comps as to whether they are nj legal and there's a lot of back and forth on this issue. Does anyone no for sure if they are legal and if not can I please get some recommendations on comps that are definitely jersey legal. I don't want to have them permanently install it if there's any question about the legality of it.

I was researching Bcm comps as to whether they are nj legal and there's a lot of back and forth on this issue. Does anyone no for sure if they are legal and if not can I please get some recommendations on comps that are definitely jersey legal. I don't want to have them permanently install it if there's any question about the legality of it.

No one can tell you what is legal. Only that "

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash

suppressor" is illegal

Unfortunately you are left to interpret it.

I would say anything closed on the end is good to go, but that's my opinion.

I have a spikes dynacomp, miculek brake and just bought a griffin m4sd ii tactical brake. PWS fsc556 and battlecomps are generally considered gtg as well

I just finished my first build, LokTite's still drying on the hand guard as I speak.

PSA blemished upper and lower $70 total (lower transfer and NIC cost as much as the 2 together) and I couldn't find a blem on either

RRA 2 stage NM trigger with JP springs $105

20" 1:8 Wylde bull barrel chromemoly no device threads

PSA Premium BCG MPI HPT

Nordic Components XL (15 1/2") free float hand guard

UTG A2 stock Kit

UTG sniper grip

Odin mini low profile gas block

Put on for now a cheapo 2.5-10x40 scope I had lying around, for now. I don't think I'm going to use any BUIS at all, but got the XL hand guard for the long radius in case I do.

The non critical parts like the grip, stock, basic lower (mil spec triggers in the junk drawer) and upper parts kits ect. I got from ebay (God forgive me)

Borrowed special tools like the armors and torque wrenches from buddies

Whole build cost between $850-$1000 I lost track of the exact amount along the line. You can buy a decent AR for that price range, but I don't think you can get one with those specs for less than $1500.

Like I said, it's my very first build. I was going for long range, not self defense. I'll be happy if it shoots as good as it looks. I'll be even happier if it doesn't explode the first time I pull the trigger

I just finished my first build, LokTite's still drying on the hand guard as I speak.

PSA blemished upper and lower $70 total (lower transfer and NIC cost as much as the 2 together) and I couldn't find a blem on either

RRA 2 stage NM trigger with JP springs $105

20" 1:8 Wylde bull barrel chromemoly no device threads

PSA Premium BCG MPI HPT

Nordic Components XL (15 1/2") free float hand guard

UTG A2 stock Kit

UTG sniper grip

Odin mini low profile gas block

Put on for now a cheapo 2.5-10x40 scope I had lying around, for now. I don't think I'm going to use any BUIS at all, but got the XL hand guard for the long radius in case I do.

The non critical parts like the grip, stock, basic lower (mil spec triggers in the junk drawer) and upper parts kits ect. I got from ebay (God forgive me)

Borrowed special tools like the armors and torque wrenches from buddies

Whole build cost between $850-$1000 I lost track of the exact amount along the line. You can buy a decent AR for that price range, but I don't think you can get one with those specs for less than $1500.

Like I said, it's my very first build. I was going for long range, not self defense. I'll be happy if it shoots as good as it looks. I'll be even happier if it doesn't explode the first time I pull the trigger

did you say that your lower parts kit was from ebay and call it a non critical part?

Actually I got the lower parts kit from JoeBobOutfitters      Put the trigger that came with it in a junk drawer and put in a RRA NM    everything else amounts to springs detents and 2 levers ......   the kit I think was 65 with an A2 grip I didn't use and the afore mentioned trigger..... Also like I said, first build I did, first kit I bought, Out side the trigger seems the rest of the stuff would be pretty hard to screw up the manufacturing of, even in china

Hi guys, I'm very close to ordering the bcm what do you think of having them permenantly install a battle comp 1.5 ? So the only thing I'm not going to get is the handguard, does anyone have any suggestions where I should look for a reasonably priced one. Thanks again everyone. Holy cow does this add up.