ogfarmer

Ruger 10/22 15rd mags BX-15

not sure if ya'll were aware,since the new Ruger Charger pistol is now available Ruger has released a new BX-15 15rd magazine. The BX-15™ magazines will work with any factory original Ruger® 10/22® rifle, SR-22® rifle, and 22 Charger™ pistol.

Not super cheap but http://shopruger.com/BX-15-22-Caliber-15-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90463/

When I was looking for these mags on the net the other day, I stumbled upon a modular bull pup style handgun that accepts the 10/22 mags. Think it was called a zip22? It mounts to the handguard on an AR platform. Is that thing legal here? I know there's a weight limit of .50 Oz for pistols that accepts a magazine outside the grip. The other question is can you mount a handgun on a rifle? I searched the forum for this topic but came up with zero results.

When I was looking for these mags on the net the other day, I stumbled upon a modular bull pup style handgun that accepts the 10/22 mags. Think it was called a zip22? It mounts to the handguard on an AR platform. Is that thing legal here? I know there's a weight limit of .50 Oz for pistols that accepts a magazine outside the grip. The other question is can you mount a handgun on a rifle? I searched the forum for this topic but came up with zero results.

Every review I read about that thing mentions how the owner feels lucky to get through a whole magazine without a misfeed...

Here we go:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/04/jeremy-s/gun-review-usfa-zip-22lr/

Unfortunately, the funky sci-fi looks and dangerous thrills from putting your hands in front of the business end of the ZiP gun didn’t make up for a generally poor showing at the range. Even after installing the Upgrade Kit Version 1.0.1, which was released due to some excessively tight tolerances in early guns, she just wouldn’t run reliably.

The ZiP ships with two sets of recoil springs: stiff for high-test loads and light for target/bulk loads (factory-installed default). You can “tune” your action to your ammunition’s power level. Due to the low mass of the reciprocating parts, the bolt speed is extremely high and the spring rates are particularly important. The design leaves no room for bolt overtravel (which normally adds some delay to a semi-auto action).

The ZiP™ was consistently plagued with failures to feed. The bolt is often moving forwards before the magazine can lift the next round up into place. Even when it does feed, the bolt would often come forward so quickly that the ejecting empty brass was caught before it could escape the gun. These failures created some unique jams with empty brass smashed up somewhere in the ejection port and a new round partially fed into the chamber. ...

... After the Upgrade Kit, some polishing, some graphite lube, extremely careful assembly, a handful of ammo brands to test and some encouraging words, I had the ZiP running better. It actually made it through a couple of BX-1 10-round magazines in a row without a jam. That was, however, not the norm. I spent more time during my range session clearing jams than shooting. On average, it would jam at least once per magazine, and this was a major improvement from pre-upgrade. ...

For me, one of the things I love about the 10/22 is that the standard magazine is flush.   That's partially why I choose it over a Marlin, etc. 60, 70, or a Savage, etc.