Sign in to follow this  
Golf battery

Off to DC for three days.

See if you can get tickets in advance for spy museum. My GF and I tried to go last day we were in DC back around cherry blossom time, line forspy museum was around the damn block. Can't say if it is worth it - we didnt bother trying after seeing that line.

We did hit up American History, Air & Space, Natural history, Botanical Gardens - all ones we both enjoyed. She wanted to go to Native American, so we did that instead of Spy. I personally didnt find it that interesting, just never really been my thing.

I thought I heard NRA museum is near DC. Didnt really research beforehand, and didn't get to that either. Fucking traffic around DC made me want a tank to drive over idiots...

Good luck, have fun. And avoid driving any times there might be traffic, like rushhour, or any other time, ever.

And make sure you have no spent casings in the car/trunk in DC...I always find .22 casings in my footwell from my boots...

And make sure you have no spent casings in the car/trunk in DC...I always find .22 casings in my footwell from my boots...

This is the important part... I have someone else go through my car before I leave for DC. Better safe than sorry because I always leave a piece of brass I picked up on my way out of the range and leave it in my center console or something silly.

As far as what to do? Spy Museum, National Museum of American History, National Air and Space Museum, and National Archives if you haven't been. I've also really enjoyed the National Museum of the American Indian... I still have a few Smithsonians that I haven't been to.

Keep meaning to get to the Marine Corps Museum, NRA Museum and Udvar-Hazy Center, but I haven't had the chance.

The NRA Museum is worth the trip, but it isn't in DC, but as stated, in Fairfax, VA.

If you are into aviation at all and decide to go to the NRA Museum, then plan on Udvar-Hazy. It is just south of Dulles Airport, not too far from The NRA.

Been about 10 years since I've been there, but they had the Space Shuttle Enterprise, an SR71 as well as many other historic aircraft. The museum entry is free, you pay to park, so if you took a bus there you wouldn't pay for the museum. Obviously if you have a few people in your family and go in one car, it's one fee to park, think it was something like $12 10 years ago.

Also, as stated, the Smithsonian is definitely worth it. Just realize it's huge and can take days if not weeks to see everything.

Of course you have all the monuments to see which is great for the kids, as well as the war memorials.

Have a good trip.

DC, with it's history could be a great place if it wasn't for all the criminals. Those on the street as well is in the Capitol and other gov't buildings.

21 Miles and a half hour west of Washington. Remember to go around the side of the building and at least peak in at the firing range, worth a look

Or take your guns and take a 20 minute course, then shoot away.

Avoid 95 around DC as much as possible. It's an abortion. Adding EZ Express, renumber exits, you name it. Was just down there. Pulled my hair out driving in circles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spy Museum is good.

Take the Metro to Chinatown for lunch - interesting.  If you haven't taken the metro before, it is the best in the world.   There's a hidden metro station  right in the middle of the mall near the carousel.  

The kids love to eat at the vendor vans behind the air and space museum - take the "back" doors out to the street.  I don't know why it's so much fun to order pizza and egg rolls from a van with a window but you'd think we were in Disney world.  Sit on the steps to eat and feed the birds by hand - if you're still enough.

And the NRA museum will take you an hour to see on the way home.  There's a shooting range in the back of the NRA museum building that's open to NRA members pretty cheap.  I discovered it when I got lost in the parking lot and will be taking a handgun down to keep in the hotel next time I go just so I can say I shot at the NRA headquarter's range.

We do DC about once a year with the kids.  Always stay in Alexandria and metro wherever we want to go.

The Vietnam War Memorial Wall is well worth seeing.

We just happened to be at the Vietnam memorial on Veteran's Day a few years ago.  It wasn't planned that way.  The place was overrun with vets in uniforms or at least in hats and jackets.   That was an amazing way to see the wall.  Names engraved in granite is impressive but ten thousand vets in quiet lines patiently waiting to see the wall, greeting each other, crying together, really made it stick.  Even my 5 year old (he's older now) was silent.

So far. Nra museum. Going to their indoor range. 50 yard. Marine corps museum. Vietnam memorial. Spy museum. Hopefully my kids will get something out of the first three.

The Vietnam Memorial is right by the World War II and Korean War Memorials as well as the Lincoln Monument and Reflecting Pool.

From there, you're not too far from the Washington and Jefferson Memorials.

I drive to DC regularly to visit family. I never use 95 anymore. I do I-78W to Allentown, 222S to Lancaster, 30W to York, 83S to I-695, 70W to 29S, and 29S through to Silver Spring/DC. It takes 1/2 hour longer than 95 on a good day, but is always consistant and only a $1 toll leaving Jersey on I-78.

I drive to DC regularly to visit family. I never use 95 anymore. I do I-78W to Allentown, 222S to Lancaster, 30W to York, 83S to I-695, 70W to 29S, and 29S through to Silver Spring/DC. It takes 1/2 hour longer than 95 on a good day, but is always consistant and only a $1 toll leaving Jersey on I-78.

Have to try that. Going down 95 cost me over 36 bux in tolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk