Sign in to follow this  
Spike 7.62

unmarked Walther PP mystery

Found this guy today but it's not mine (yet). Walther PP .32 auto, late WWII. "ac" marked, frame and slide do not match but are near. Absolutely no other marks. No Walther banner, no Mod. PP, no 6.35, no WaA, no Nitro proof, no import mark, nothing.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but could this be a war time factory assembled pistol that was pushed out the door skipping the formalities? Or is this a post-war assembly for use by occupying or indigenous law enforcement?

I've never seen such an unmarked Walther PP before, others have at least been Nitro proofed.

I'm a collector of WWII so I'm interested, but don't know enough to pull the trigger on this one... yet.

20141229_161120_zpscrn16yyd.jpg

20141229_161128_zps13x3pmtj.jpg

20141229_161143_zpsethwecnq.jpg

20141229_161157_zpsxgwjpuys.jpg

20141229_161202_zpsjv0svgvs.jpg

AC is the Mfg date code for Walther after 1944

The last Walther PP serial number was 397000P

Walther made un-marked slides late in the war, sort of like a Last Ditch pistol

too costly and time consuming to roll stamp them for the war effort.

the mis-matched s/n's could be either a GI put together, or a last minute QC

effort in production

That pistol was most likely put together with left over and sometimes earlier rejected parts like the c block and later AC45 p38s pistols and late serial numbered Sauer 38h pistols. The mag is an oddity and I'm not sure about that. It is not a standard mag but they did make special mags like that either before or after the war.

I have a similar 32 PP that's a little earlier. I researched it and have the same answers JT and BMW gave. Mine is in similar condition and I got it for a bargain price from a retired trooper who used it for an off duty gun. He shot it often and I've shot it with no ill effects. It does run 100% though. It's not as valuable as one with all the markings. I wouldn't pay more than a couple of hundred for it.