NRA basic pistol,

Yep.   Basic pistol assumes no knowledge of firearms, covers revolvers and semi-autos, and has some live fire.   Doesn't really cover any "technique", just intro to shooting.   I picked up a tip or two, but it's really geared towards very new (or not yet) gun owners.

Follow that by NRA Personal Protection in the Home (of which basic pistol is a pre-requisite).  PPIH has MUCH more live fire, rapid fire, shooting from behind cover, etc.   I enjoyed that class a lot.  There's also a bit of lawyer talk with an attorney, in case you have questions on the use of deadly force, but honestly I felt there was a lot of "I can't really tell you what to do because I'm not ACTUALLY your lawyer."

I'm thinking of doing Personal Protection Outside the Home next depending on when my club offers the course.

Follow that by NRA Personal Protection in the Home (of which basic pistol is a pre-requisite).  PPIH has MUCH more live fire, rapid fire, shooting from behind cover, etc.   I enjoyed that class a lot.  

Thread Hijack: MA78 - If you enjoyed that type of shooting, have you tried IDPA (more like what you describe) or USPSA (more run-n-gun)?? Shongum shoots USPSA on the first Saturday of each month. Somerset (SCFGPA) shoots IDPA on the third Sunday of each month. If you aren't already involved, try it - you'll like it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Carry on

I may swing by to observe those events when the weather gets warmer.

I saw a few guys practicing at the club last Friday and it looked like fun.  I shoot steel, but just stand stationary so moving around and quickly targeting different distances is the next skill I need to develop.

I may swing by to observe those events when the weather gets warmer.

Somerset is indoors, so not weather dependent. Next match is January 18th. Mr. Stu, from the board here, is the match director (but won't be in attendance at the Jan match).

Register here: http://www.somersetidpa.com/matches/

Still 18 slots open. Dive right in - the water's fine. Feel free to PM me with any questions on rules or equipment.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I recommend a private lesson with an instructor that can review the fundamentals with you one-on-one, diagnose your issues, and recommend specific corrections for improvement. I don't know where you're located, but in northern NJ both Gun for Hire and RTSP offer this.

Big Five,

I don't know if you've been able to find any training anywhere. It just happens that I've had a few students drop out of a NRA Basic Pistol class I'm running at Easton Fish & Game on Feb 21st. If you're interested send me a PM.