Emortal

Seeking clarification on transportation

Browsing reddit tonight, I came across a post detailing a recent self defense shooting in NJ. The original post is as follows:

Three days ago I was at my parents’ home celebrating a sort of late Christmas with my cousin who had just gotten back from vacation. At about 10:00pm we all heard a very loud bang from the basement downstairs, seconds later we heard another. I said I would go down and check it out. I was carrying my Glock-17. My parents are pro-gun and know I carry, as such they are fine with me doing it on their property. I turn the basement lights on (switch is at the top of the stairs.) and head down, all the while my hand is on my gun. I went down the stairs and turned right down a small hallway which led to a Bilco door. The Bilco door opens up into the backyard, although my parents keep it locked with a padlock and chain around the outside handles.

As I slowly step down the hallway someone pops out from around the corner in front of me. I do not recognize them, they were wearing black pants and a navy blue shirt. I scream to him “Put your hands up!” He reaches into his fucking pockets, I draw. I scream at him again, and a third time, he pulls some sort of knife. I take a step back and scream at the top of my fucking lungs for him to drop it and he takes a fucking step towards me instead. I shot him, time slowed to a fucking crawl, and he was still standing, I fire again, my ears are ringing and I can’t even hear myself screaming at him. Four fucking times I shot him until he fell down. I run towards him with my gun still drawn and kick the knife away. I scream upstairs to call the police. My mother and cousin are screaming and at the top of the stairs I hear my father scream that he is coming down. I remain standing back in a ready position with my gun pointing at the intruder. My father is now downstairs in the hall with me holding his shotgun. When we hear sirens I holster my firearms while my father remains guarding the intruder. I go upstairs to meet the police and notify them of my armed father. When the police arrived they immediately taped off the whole house and begin interviewing my mother and cousin. My father and I both give our stories as above.

After the paramedics took the assailant away the police informed us that the chain to the Bilco door had been cut but there were no bolt cutters or hacksaw at the scene, meaning there was likely a second intruder which ran at the sound of my shots. I stayed with my father and mother that night. The next day the police called my parents’ home and told us that they were continuing to look for a possible second assailant, and that the initial assailant was DOA at the local hospital as such they would not need us to testify against him for criminal hearings.

So what are your thoughts on all this, I’m still a little shaky after everything and genuinely just want to talk to someone about this whole fucking mess.

http://www.reddit.com/r/CCW/comments/2qzcpa/drew_and_fired_my_gun_three_days_ago_on_home/

He goes on to specify that this occured in NJ, and that he regularly carries his firearm on any private property that allows, and transports the firearm unloaded and locked away. My understanding of the law was that this would be illegal, and you can't transport a firearm to someone else's residence without a carry permit, as this type of thing does not fall under any of the transportation exemptions.

Is the shooter justified here? Are you allowed to transport a firearm to your parents residence?

While it is not his primary residence as listed on his FPID, he could claim that his parents house is his secondary home making it good to transport his firearm there.  As for justifying the shooting, I don't like to Monday morning quarterback on someone else's situation.

While it is not his primary residence as listed on his FPID, he could claim that his parents house is his secondary home making it good to transport his firearm there.  As for justifying the shooting, I don't like to Monday morning quarterback on someone else's situation.

This is what I thought...it seemed to me like it's risky to try and establish a parents house as alternate residency. Where is the line drawn? Why not argue that any relative or close friend's property is an alternate residency?

I was thought not to investigate or look for a intruder in your house because you are at danger of being killed he is hiding ready to shoot, call police, let the intruder come to you and than kill him.

If it safe I would even get out of my house let police search the house

This is what I thought...it seemed to me like it's risky to try and establish a parents house as alternate residency. Where is the line drawn? Why not argue that any relative or close friend's property is an alternate residency?

It depends on how far the issue wants to be pushed.  Me and my S/O are fighting and I have been crashing at X's place the past few nights could be a reasonable situation. The person who owns the house would have to back you up as well.  I'm not saying to do this just that NJ law is ambiguous so were can all freely interpret it our own way.  I believe if you have belongings there or a drawer/shelf of personal items that it constitutes residency (not a lawyer please correct me if I am wrong).

i'm hoping to hear from some of our "statute geeks". i use that term in a good way, 'cause they seem to know them inside and out. from my understanding, we're not allowed(i friggin hate using that term re this stuff) to have our firearms outside of exemptions. for pistols, my understanding of that, is the range, gunsmith, home, or our fixed place of business, along with direct route to/from those exempted locations. parents home isn't in that list of exemptions. even with their permission.

then there's the part where he went into the basement looking. there was no imminent danger till he went down there. i'm shocked that he wasn't charged with something, since he went looking for the intruder, rather than call police, and retreat(since before he went down, they all could've safely retreated.

that all said........sounds like the dude did pretty much everything right. by free America standards. also, i'm reading the comments under his post. he's got a lot of support. glad to see that.

also also.......why wasn't this in any news?

i'm hoping to hear from some of our "statute geeks". i use that term in a good way, 'cause they seem to know them inside and out. from my understanding, we're not allowed(i friggin hate using that term re this stuff) to have our firearms outside of exemptions. for pistols, my understanding of that, is the range, gunsmith, home, or our fixed place of business, along with direct route to/from those exempted locations. parents home isn't in that list of exemptions. even with their permission.

The exemption would be it is his second residence.

I don't buy it for a lot of reasons.

it is reddit can't take it to seriously but a possible mock situation to pick apart.

I had cops come to my house in Jersey and confiscate my buddy's handgun while there. He was not charged with anything and had the handgun returned at a later date. It was NOT in the NJ registry. Yes, I know this was illegal, but neither of us knew it at the time. Even afterward we had no idea having a handgun at my house was illegal.

As for checking out noises, if I called the cops every time I heard something go BANG! in my house since I moved to PA then they wouldn't show up anymore. You only have a few options in that situation. Heck, it happened so often I set up the entire property with 4 layers of security from the property line to the house and inside. Now there is no doubt that there is no one on my property.

Why retreat in your home? Legally, I mean, not from a practical standpoint. I thought NJ had Castle Doctrine of sorts.

if true.. technically probably illegal...

if true.. unlikely the state would press charges given the sum of the situation..

*he killed a guy that broke into his families home with a weapon, and would not stop* that case would be pretty bad press to pursue..

It stinks like a fabrication if occurred in NJ. He got his gun returned the day after the shooting? Come on, now. And no press account that I could find about the incident?

Makes me wonder if this happened at all.

I had cops come to my house in Jersey and confiscate my buddy's handgun while there. He was not charged with anything and had the handgun returned at a later date. It was in in the NJ registry. Yes, I know this was illegal, but neither of us knew it at the time. Even afterward we had no idea having a handgun at my house was illegal. As for checking out noises, if I called the cops every time I heard something go BANG! in my house since I moved to PA then they wouldn't show up anymore. You only have a few options in that situation. Heck, it happened so often I set up the entire property with 4 layers of security from the property line to the house and inside. Now there is no doubt that there is no one on my property. Why retreat in your home? Legally, I mean, not from a practical standpoint. I thought NJ had Castle Doctrine of sorts.

NJ does have a castle doctrine, no duty to retreat in a home, so no issues there. I was really just interested in him saying he transports his gun around and carrys on any private property that allows, and wondering if I was misunderstanding the law.

I also agree with everyone that thinks the story sounds fishy. A few things struck me as very odd, especially his non chalant attitude about retaining a lawyer. I also scanned a couple local news sites and couldn't find any mention of a shooting that matched up with these details.

Nowhere does it say the incident itself happened in NJ.  In Free America, the Cops can give you your gun back.  In NJ, not so quick to do that.

Whole thing does seem a little fishy to me.  Need more details and a link to a news story!

Nowhere does it say the incident itself happened in NJ.  In Free America, the Cops can give you your gun back.  In NJ, not so quick to do that.

Whole thing does seem a little fishy to me.  Need more details and a link to a news story!

Not in the original post but the author commented later multiple times saying it was in NJ.

Unless it somehow managed to not be picked up by the media, no news articles found when I searched.

It could be a load of BS OR it might have happened, who knows...

"They" don't want it advertised that there are in fact some real reasons to own firearms.

"They" don't want it advertised that there are in fact some real reasons to own firearms.

This would have made the news, I call BS and that site (especially it's posters) are far from credible. Until proof turns up it's just a story some guy wrote on his sofa.