siderman

An excellent read-

This is a pro vs anti article that I consider a supreme piece of journalism, so much I re-read it several times a yr. Its been around before but for those that havent read it you should. I guarentee you'll come away feeling rejuvinated about your 2A rights. Grab some coffee and read, its not a short quip and will take a few minutes and a good way to start the New Year. The author is Barry Snell out of Iowa....

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/opinion/article_1c144792-b36d-11e2-8ac6-001a4bcf887a.html

This is very good because it addresses the emotional bullying that goes on in the anti-gun camp.

A recent Facebook post by an acquaintance referenced an article that mentioned the recent death of the woman in Idaho by her 2 year old....the title was, "NOW can we have a conversation about the gun culture"?

My response to her was, "How do you have a conversation about a subject you know NOTHING about"? Would the conversation be, "Guns are bad, get rid of yours"? Sorry, that's not the definition of conversation.

They don't know anything except emotional images, slogans, and trumped-up figures from the Mommys, etc. and think they're fixing something. And as long as you refer to people like me as "Bubbas" and slime and nuts, I'm not having any fucking conversations.

Thanks for sharing.

The thing to remember when arguing with anyone who holds strong views is that all too often they are not listening to anything you say. You can recite facts as much as you like. Cite statistics. They will counter either with "yes but..." (while not actually acknowledging what they're pretending to say 'yes' to), or they'll simply slide the conversation sideways to an unrelated or irrelevant topic.

Unfortunately the right is just as guilty of this as the left. Try convincing a card-carrying Libertarian that we don't need any more places like Paterson or Camden. 

When Mancin's background check legislation was circulating a couple of years ago at least one pro2A group saw it as an opportunity to horse trade what would have been, from the NJ perspective, a minor additional inconvenience for some serious benefits like universal carry license reciprocity. But NRA scared everybody out of even discussing the subject, and here we remain.