John3754

Thoughts on Mossberg MMR Hunter?

Not a fan of how the rail attaches to the gun.  How much do they go for anyway? If you are paying around 750-800 already you might as well just go out and pick up a 6920 for a bit more or wait for a nice BCM sale to come around.  Friend bought a MMR Tactical (against my suggestions) and now his rail is twisting off center at the sub-200 round count.

Not a fan of how the rail attaches to the gun.  How much do they go for anyway? If you are paying around 750-800 already you might as well just go out and pick up a 6920 for a bit more or wait for a nice BCM sale to come around.  Friend bought a MMR Tactical (against my suggestions) and now his rail is twisting off center at the sub-200 round count.

Click the link

What rail?

Click the link

What rail?

My fault, I forgot to lead with the qualifier 'Friend bought an MMR Tactical'.  The point still stands though.    

Friend purchased the 'Tactical' model.  The fore-end on the Hunter is also another direct screw into the barrel nut type. 

Beyond that we can pick holes at how the MMR uses a non chrome lined 4140 barrel, no FA (that is personal preference though), a 1:9 barrel as opposed to the (generally) better 1:7 or 1:8 barrels to stabilize heavier rounds, abysmal CS from Mossberg (friendly, but not technically knowledgeable), and an MSRP of nearly $1000 it cuts way too many corners.  

Non CL barrels shoot better

FA is useless...ever use one?

1:9 is good for anything up to 69gr bullets ( I shoot 69gr SMK from a 1:9)

Don't know much about the Mossberg but I know you statements don't hold water.

For a barrel to just blast around at the range and teach basics on, I see no reason to not go CL.  OP, at what ranges are you shooting at?

Regarding the FA I seem to notice that I put personal preference next to it.  Why not argue the choice of barrel metal instead of nitpicking on something I clearly marked as preference? 

And as to your last point, I am talking about 77gr offerings, not 69gr.  

The real critical point to all this Old School is would you purchase an MMR at close to $750 

For a barrel to just blast around at the range and teach basics on, I see no reason to not go CL.  OP, at what ranges are you shooting at?

Regarding the FA I seem to notice that I put personal preference next to it.  Why not argue the choice of barrel metal instead of nitpicking on something I clearly marked as preference? 

And as to your last point, I am talking about 77gr offerings, not 69gr.  

The real critical point to all this Old School is would you purchase an MMR at close to $750 

True at that price point there are many options.