Sign in to follow this  
John3754

Budget AR suggestions?

like they said-Sport. I'll say the obvious, its the NJ compliant model and model# ends... 037 No forward assist or eject port cover but when your gun goes from the house to your car to the shooting bench who cares lol. 

PSA has sales out the a$$ on uppers and such. Piece it together your self.

If you pick the *cheapest* available parts at PSA (upper, lower, trigger, BCG, stock) you might end up in the $500's. Don't forget shipping, transfer fees (on the lower), flip up sights, and compliance work.

I think the Sport gets a lot of knocks because it isn't a DIY supreme rifle, but about $600 complete with a warranty (or whatever S&W calls it) and walk out the door ready to shoot I think it still has great value.

My shop usually price matches (+$25), and according to GunWatcher.com the best price for the sport is $565 at J&J Gun Supply.

So I'd be able to pick one up for $590 + tax and NICS today.     Buying it online and doing the transfer would "temporarily" save you the sales tax...

If you pick the *cheapest* available parts at PSA (upper, lower, trigger, BCG, stock) you might end up in the $500's. Don't forget shipping, transfer fees (on the lower), flip up sights, and compliance work.

I think the Sport gets a lot of knocks because it isn't a DIY supreme rifle, but about $600 complete with a warranty (or whatever S&W calls it) and walk out the door ready to shoot I think it still has great value.

+1  the Sport is the perfect KISS ar15- if thats what you're looking for. I threw a few things on mine over a few yrs but by no means is it needed just for plinking.

Another vote for the S&W Sport - I sure like mine!  

Check with Tanner's, just over  the border in Jamison PA  http://tannerssportcenter.com/  Also on Facebook

They were running a special in January - NJ compliant version for $550 or so,

I follow the "buy once, cry once" frame of mind. Whatever that you decide on, make sure it is what you want out of a rifle over getting the cheapest or best deal. Otherwise, you'll be unhappy down the road and will either look to upgrade or sell it to get what you really want. This doesn't mean you have to spend $2K for the most tacticool operator grade equipment, but it may mean that a few extra $100's spent now will save you more later on.

Another vote for the M&P Sport - I bought before Xmas, so it was a bit high (~770 out the door) but I've seen them cheaper since. 

And I disagree with the "buy once, cry once" with a platform as customizable as the AR. Buy a cheap (but still well regarded) entry level one, then upgrade only those components that you need for better comfort, etc. I got different furniture for mine, an aftermarket charging handle, and a BAD lever - all based on my and my wife's shooting style after a couple hundred rounds. I'm still in for less than a grand (including the ammo shot) and I have a gun that fits me and her perfectly.

Just finishes my build, $550 and done. Did my own bayo-removal and pinned my stock. Anderson lower from Monmouth arms and a PTAC upper with a 1/7 barrel. Aim nibx bcg. Deals are out there, u gotta watch and be patient.

Why no pics???