raff92

Shore Shot Holster use

So this morning I visited Shore Shot during the members only shooting hours for the first time (I'm a recently new member) and asked the RO if I could shoot from my holster, as a courtesy to them. Well to my shock I was told "No, only Law Enforcement Officers are allowed to shoot from a holster here." I accepted his answer and went on my way, just not using my holster on this visit to the range.

Now my question: From reading experiences from other members on the board they have been permitted to use a holster. So should I account this to an employee who does simply not want to do his job, or a change in policy?

Oh and a little background on me. I'm not a LEO nor have I ever been one. I have had formal training from the Sig Sauer Academy and others on holster use and safety as well as practical experiences when visiting other ranges with friends.

Thanks and safe shooting!

I don't recall anyone saying they have ever been able to draw from a holster at shore shot. CJ will let you with a special use badge and I am pretty sure it is ok at OB but I don't recall it at any public ranges.

This.   I have never seen anyone but LE able to shoot at SS from holster..  Was the same at BA when it was still open.  This isnt new.  I am curious to see what forum posts here that mentioned drawing from a holster at SS, as I have not noticed any (though, admittedly, havent looked for any either)

That is not true. Many people used to shoot from the holster at SS with prior permission. 2009 is when I think they stopped letting people do it who were not on the special list. There were a string of unfortunate events that led to strengthening their policies.

This.   I have never seen anyone but LE able to shoot at SS from holster..  Was the same at BA when it was still open.  This isnt new.  I am curious to see what forum posts here that mentioned drawing from a holster at SS, as I have not noticed any (though, admittedly, havent looked for any either)

That is not true. Many people used to shoot from the holster at SS with prior permission. 2009 is when I think they stopped letting people do it who were not on the special list. There were a string of unfortunate events that led to strengthening their policies.

That was before my time which is probably why I didn't know about it

Practice by drawing with an empty gun and dryfire. No need to go to a range to practice drawing from a holster.

This. You can practice all the drawing you ever need to practice at home with an empty gun. Of all the draws I've done, I think less then 0.1% were done with a hot gun, and I've done quite a few draws with a hot gun. You can practice the crap out of draws without worrying about what the range wants, just do it safely with a VERY VERY empty gun.

I would suggest getting a few "Snap Caps" so you can set up multiple scenarios. Failure drills, empty mags, etc.

You can get an IDPA type app for your phone to record your timing from draw to trigger pull.

Practice by drawing with an empty gun and dryfire. No need to go to a range to practice drawing from a holster.

Thanks for your ideas guys, I have snap caps and do practice dry firing on a regular basis; but this was not my question.

It appears unclear on the policy at Shore Shot, so I will reach out to someone in charge on Monday, find out the official policy and post for the general knowledge of the rest of the board.

If anyone knows anything more (Related to the policy on holster use) before then please feel free to chime in.

Thanks!

This. You can practice all the drawing you ever need to practice at home with an empty gun. Of all the draws I've done, I think less then 0.1% were done with a hot gun, and I've done quite a few draws with a hot gun. You can practice the crap out of draws without worrying about what the range wants, just do it safely with a VERY VERY empty gun.

I would suggest getting a few "Snap Caps" so you can set up multiple scenarios. Failure drills, empty mags, etc.

You can get an IDPA type app for your phone to record your timing from draw to trigger pull.

Ask them what their SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) are...

The Range Safety Officer calls the shots while he's on duty. If he wants no holster draw, there's no holster draw. You can ask if they have a Cheif RSO to speak to about the SOP's. If the SOP's say holster draw is OK, have him inform the RSO's.

Thanks for your ideas guys, I have snap caps and do practice dry firing on a regular basis; but this was not my question.

It appears unclear on the policy at Shore Shot, so I will reach out to someone in charge on Monday, find out the official policy and post for the general knowledge of the rest of the board.

If anyone knows anything more (Related to the policy on holster use) before then please feel free to chime in.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Restricted to LE , that's the policy

So this morning I visited Shore Shot during the members only shooting hours for the first time (I'm a recently new member) and asked the RO if I could shoot from my holster, as a courtesy to them. Well to my shock I was told "No, only Law Enforcement Officers are allowed to shoot from a holster here." I accepted his answer and went on my way, just not using my holster on this visit to the range.

Now my question: From reading experiences from other members on the board they have been permitted to use a holster. So should I account this to an employee who does simply not want to do his job, or a change in policy?

Oh and a little background on me. I'm not a LEO nor have I ever been one. I have had formal training from the Sig Sauer Academy and others on holster use and safety as well as practical experiences when visiting other ranges with friends.

Thanks and safe shooting!

First, welcome to the forum!

The absolute best advice I can give is to join a private club like CJ or Old Bridge.  CJ has thousands of members and therefore requires a special ID card to be obtained (easy to do at a meeting I believe, and posters here will fill you in on the live-fire requirements), and Old Bridge has a probationary membership process that encourages participation in several of the club's leagues (including both USPSA and IDPA) were holster draw is REQUIRED (which is why Pizza Bob suggested it).  

Basically it all boils-down to a safety issue and money:  Commercial public ranges that rent guns to wanna-be shooters can't trust those not wearin' a "High and Tight" haircut.  Too much "sweeping" of themselves (Wanna-be's) and everybody else on the firing line.  The money aspect rears its' ugly head in terms of lost revenue and higher insurance premiums if the range doesn't offer "classes" so you can be "approved" for holster draw.  Some ranges don't wanna bother with the holster draw classes.  Sure Shot is such a range.  Some ranges, the nicer newer ones in NJ, have ventured into the 21st Century (Gun For Hire and RTSP) and therefore offer it!  LEO's are always exempt (I'm NOT a Leo).

So join a private club and make friends and learn some more (thru osmosis).  It's wonderfully amazing to watch guys like Vlad and Pizza Bob (and others) prep their equipment and shoot several varied stages in a Match.  From reloading tips, to SAFE TABLE techniques and practice draws to how best to engage a scenario with the equipment you already own, you can't beat the advice competitive shooters will chat about.  It's an eye-opening experience and a fantastic resource!

Dave

PPC Match Director and League Chairman,

Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club 

Restricted to LE , that's the policy

I noticed this policy at a couple ranges.  Never understood the thinking behind it.  I think if you can demonstrate your ability to safely draw and place rounds on paper within whatever "testing" framework the range establishes you should be allowed to draw from a holster.  I find it better to have a holstered pistol at the range.  That way its always with me, not on a shelf taking up space.  Maybe the fear is that many LEOs will fail and get pissed off lol. 

Dry fire practice is good, but its not a replacement for live fire, even when practicing drawing.   

I noticed this policy at a couple ranges. Never understood the thinking behind it. I think if you can demonstrate your ability to safely draw and place rounds on paper within whatever "testing" framework the range establishes you should be allowed to draw from a holster. I find it better to have a holstered pistol at the range. That way its always with me, not on a shelf taking up space. Maybe the fear is that many LEOs will fail and get pissed off lol.

Dry fire practice is good, but its not a replacement for live fire, even when practicing drawing.

My take is when you draw at an indoor range if you have a mishap you are just as likely to hurt yourself as someone else. The private ranges (at least CJ ) you are in the pits with berms or concrete on either side of you less chance of an ND hurting someone other than yourself. Just my opinion nothin to back it up

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to me that a negligent discharge inside would be more likely to hurt someone than outside on softer ground. Although most LEOs that I know go to the range once a year, to qualify. Now, nothing against police, I hold them in the highest regard, but an LEO only policy does not make sense to me.

I would be willing to go through any steps to prove my competency to a range, but I feel that a flat out policy against it makes me less likely to renew my membership.

My take is when you draw at an indoor range if you have a mishap you are just as likely to hurt yourself as someone else. The private ranges (at least CJ ) you are in the pits with berms or concrete on either side of you less chance of an ND hurting someone other than yourself. Just my opinion nothin to back it up

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to me that a negligent discharge inside would be more likely to hurt someone than outside on softer ground. Although most LEOs that I know go to the range once a year, to qualify. Now, nothing against police, I hold them in the highest regard, but an LEO only policy does not make sense to me.

I would be willing to go through any steps to prove my competency to a range, but I feel that a flat out policy against it makes me less likely to renew my membership.

I fully agree, but the ranges I have seen that do this "competency test" charge you for it.  I would love for it to me just a test.  If you fail, then I can understand the need for the fee/class.

I think the lack of training done by the average LEO makes it more likely for an ND than a trained citizen.  As you said, nothing against LEO's but the last couple of times at the range I noticed 2 LEOs shooting an FBI Q Target that looked like it was hit with bird shot and not a 9mm pistol.  But they can draw and carry... makes sense to me! 

Err if you say so. I've never learned a damn thing from live fire draws, I've only learned about drawing during dry fire. 

I prefer timed drills that require drawing.  I feel that my accuracy and speed improve more with live fire.  Its kinda hard to do the F.A.S.T. drill with dummy ammo or an empty gun. Yes, you can practice drawing with an empty gun, but even with a SIRT pistol I find life fire a better training tool for practicing first round hits from the holster.

Well, whatever works for you, but I'll point out that most of the shooters at the top of the competitive world swear by dryfire being the primary learning tool.  Sure, you use live fire to confirm your results and adjust dryfire as needed, but you can practice 1000 draws for free vs 1000 rd of ammo. 

It also trains the other VERY important skill, calling your shots based on your sight picture, not on looking at holes in the targets.  Once that trigger broke, it doesn't matter what else you are doing, the bullet, real or imagined, has gotten all the input it is ever going to get from you. Sure, recoil management can't be practiced in dryfire, but that has nothing to do with draws and first rounds fired.