302w

Cracked hands.

What is a good product to moisturize my hands? Working outside is wrecking my hands and I burned them with lye which isn't helping. Generic lotions that I steal from women don't help. I have read that corn huskers lotion is good for working hands.

I used to install Garage Doors. That was hell on the hands in winter.

What I found to work best is.

Get A pair of white cotton gloves, Walmart has them.

Before going to bed rub vasoline on your hands and put the gloves on.

Take them off in the morning.

It wont take long and your hands will heal up.

Sounds goofy but it does work.

Corn husker oil, or lotion. Nothing better. My hands are wet almost constantly in my line of work, I also wash them frequently since I'm touching other people's Piss & S#!t. I almost always have gloves on when doing so, but I'm sure some of my tools are crawling with bacteria and hepatitis. I'm constantly using hand sanatizer or anti bacterial hand wipes that stuff does a number on your skin.

Corn husker oil, or lotion. Nothing better. My hands are wet almost constantly in my line of work, I also wash them frequently since I'm touching other people's Piss & S#!t. I almost always have gloves on when doing so, but I'm sure some of my tools are crawling with bacteria and hepatitis. I'm constantly using hand sanatizer or anti bacterial hand wipes that stuff does a number on your skin.

It also makes you absorb all organic chemicals you come in contact with, including BPA/DPO (from receipts or plasticizers) by a factor of 100x.

"Bag Balm".... I've used it since working on a farm in Canada one summer in my teens. It's actually a ointment used to sooth dairy cows teats from chafing but I've used it on my hands {In the restaurant business you wash your hand in hot water so many times a day} ever since and it's the best, also great on those nasty cracked heels.

Available at most farm stores,Wegmans and some Walgreens.

I work outside all day and with the type of construction work I do, I rarely use gloves so my hands get terribly dry and alligator-skin like in the winter.

Bag Balm all the way.

Although my gf is obsessed with Okeefe's and somehow that has made it's way in front of my Bag Balm.

Both are excellent though.

It also makes you absorb all organic chemicals you come in contact with, including BPA/DPO (from receipts or plasticizers) by a factor of 100x.

I would be more concerned with the amount of PVC glue & Primer I breathe on a daily basis. On top of the amount of lead I'm working with. Chemicals Shemickles... I'm already a dead man walking, whatever pay me lots of money and I forget all about all the crap that's killing me on a daily basis.

If the temp goes below 50 my hands crack and bleed.

I use Eucerin Original before bed and in the morning hands are healed.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/eucerin-original-healing-soothing-repair-creme/ID=prod8061-product

Also, whenever possible try to wear gloves.  Mechanix Fast Fit are solid and there is no velcro to come undone when shooting.

What is a good product to moisturize my hands? Working outside is wrecking my hands and I burned them with lye which isn't helping. Generic lotions that I steal from women don't help. I have read that corn huskers lotion is good for working hands.

Corn Huskers. A+

Well I'll put in my $0.02. 

You can list all the things you like, but there are only so many things they can sell you without being a FDA approved drug. Everything listed here employs one of a few functional ingredients that aren't there to make it smell pretty or look pretty. That's  petrolatum (aka vaseline or petroleum jelly),  glycerin, and a bunch of animal or plant derived waxes or oils. Most of the work is being done by those first two. Petroleum jelly IMO kind of sucks at the moisturizing job. What it does do well is act as a barrier. It will keep moisturized skin from drying out if used as a barrier, and it will give chapped skin time to heel by preventing more chapping. Personally I don't like the stuff and if I need something to act as a protective barrier I much prefer something that combines bees wax and lanolin (shooting related confession, I actually have used royal die and sizing lube in paste form for this, love the smell).  If you have callouses that are cracking, or have gotten so dried out you are getting cracks, I find that it doesn't work so hot since you need some TLC to get back to a point where the protection does you any good. I find glycerin to work better at soothing and at helping dried out skin to heal, and for helping to soften callouses somewhat. all of the above should in general be applied to nice moist skin (aka, just after the shower) to try and help trap the moisture in there long enough for the skint o do something with it. Using oils helps the skin do it's thing as well, and in general, tree oils work better than other things IMO (they also tend to be more viscous, which I suspect plays a part in that). Some products will add menthol to the mix. Menthol helps things penetrate into the skin. I found it to be really effective in getting the oil to be effective in doing its thing, but it is pretty non discriminatory about what it helps pass through the skin. Keep that in mind if you get  a lot of nasty stuff on your hands. 

Examples

Corn huskers - glycerin and SD alcohol 40 do the heavy lifting. glycerin is the humectant, and the alcohol is an emollient. 

Bag balm - lanolin and petroleum jelly plus a component that acts as an anti-microbial. 

Eucarin Original - lanolin (emollient) , petroleum jelly (barrier), mineral oil (barrier), a mineral wax (barrier) and some stuff to help absorption into the skin along with water of course. 

Hoofmaker - glycerin, lanolin, a few natural plant oils, and collagen (actually a useful ingredient in healing wounds, which cracking counts as). 

Okeefes working hands - glycerin (humectant), Dimethicone (FDA approved silicon oil, acts as an emollient), Paraffin (wax barrier), Allantoin (in this use, primarily likely used ot help you slough off dead callous), boric acid (likely used as an anti bacterial), and mineral oil (barrier).

It ain't rocket science. Most of the chemical wizardry involved in these htings is to keep them form separating or turning into a rock, and to look and smell reasonable. 

Okeefes is good but leaves my hands chalky feeling.

Bag balm is an old standard but I dont care for the smell or greasiness it leaves.

The Yu-be moisturing hand cream is good but pricey and has a wierd smell to it.

The one I like the best is Jack Black's Industrial Strength Hand Healer. Its effective and smells good.

I tried Corn Huskers and bagbalm. The corn huskers works well, but I need to reapply a lot. Dries nice. Bagbalm feels greasy but feels like it works well. I actually think it would help get a grip while shooting.

I tried Corn Huskers and bagbalm. The corn huskers works well, but I need to reapply a lot. Dries nice. Bagbalm feels greasy but feels like it works well. I actually think it would help get a grip while shooting.

With the corn husker, as your hands begin to heal you will use less and less. Got to give it a few day's to allow your skin to heal.

I usually get ridiculous skin cracks, especially on the nail bed corners near my fingertips. Sometimes they won't heal unless I put a stitch in them. It's a pain in the ass but the only way to keep my hands from really getting bad is to put bag balm on after showering at night (or last hand wash of night) and then putting on some cotton gloves. The greasiness sucks but it does lock in the moisture. I also try to wear gloves whenever I go out into cold weather and always put on moisturizer after washing my hands.