ogfarmer

Remember to renew your hunting license if you use WMA's for the range

I took the hunter education course about 15 years ago and the instructor told us that you could use the WMA with and expired license. 

What gives?

I doubt anyone would give you any grief for using the WMA with an expired license, but the money to keep the ranges in good condition comes directly from license sales. Do your part and pay your $28 for an otherwise FREE range.

The rules state valid hunting license, I personally have seen tickets issued for no license or expired license. It not often that you see a CO at Clinton checking. But as Jon stated the ranges are there due to sales of hunting licenses.

I doubt anyone would give you any grief for using the WMA with an expired license, but the money to keep the ranges in good condition comes directly from license sales. Do your part and pay your $28 for an otherwise FREE range.

I believe your being a little optimistic about what the conservation officers would do. They will write a ticket to anyone, very rare for them to give a warning. I've personally received a summons on two different occasions from fish and wildlife officers. They don't play games, all business. The likelihood of seeing one at a range is slim, but they do show up on ocasion. Not worth taking the chance to me.

If you read the top of page 75 in the digest it says: "At least one member of the shooting party MUST have a CURRENT, VALID new jersey hunting license in possession."

Although the digest is not the full law, it is a good guideline of the game code. & this passage above is very clearly written. Your call, but I'm going with a valid current license. Two game violations within 5 years equates to a 5 year loss of hunting and fishing privileges. Ask me how I know this....

Wow thanks guys I had no idea. Guess I won't be going there anymore.

Thanks OG for the heads up. :good:

You can go with someone that has a license. Or you can get yourself one, the test is free and takes half of one weekend morning out of your life. The license is annual at $28. That's pretty cheap to use the archery, rifle, and clay ranges I would say. Plus if you ever decide to take up hunting your good to go.

You can go with someone that has a license. Or you can get yourself one, the test is free and takes half of one weekend morning out of your life. The license is annual at $28. That's pretty cheap to use the archery, rifle, and clay ranges I would say. Plus if you ever decide to take up hunting your good to go.

Thanks man, I took it about 15 years ago just never got into hunting. I still have my first license in my SG case.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever been asked for their hunting license at a WMA shooting range?  I've been to several many, many times, and have actually never seen a conservation officer there.  I've seen state troopers and cops drive through, but never a F&W officer.  

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever been asked for their hunting license at a WMA shooting range? I've been to several many, many times, and have actually never seen a conservation officer there. I've seen state troopers and cops drive through, but never a F&W officer.

One time in the past 26 years that I've been a licensed hunter have I seen a CO at the range checking everyone out. That was at Flatbrook WMA about a decade ago. It's rare but it does happen from time to time. It actually happened fairly recently at one of our Shotgun Shootouts at Clinton WMA this past year apparently. But I was not there at that meet up.

as I mentioned above I have seen people ticketed at Clinton WMA on more then one occasion when up there on my own. Only once during a NJGF clay shoot and that was because some guy had a bayo on his tacticool hd shotgun and there was hunters test going on and reporters there. F&G came over and scolded him and asked to see someones license. Also another time after a NJGf shoot a huge group from PA came and were using range. F&W came down and wrote em up.

I just renewed online but wish I had waited until next time I drove by a shop (which is fairly often up around here).

The link was not easy for me to find. Took me about as long as doing it in person. The kicker is $2.23 for shipping and handling, which I didn't notice until pressing the "submit" button. I would not do it online again.

That being said, shooting at WMAs, if one is close by, is a great deal given the limitations. I went up to Walpack a few weeks back -- had two guests and we were only going to shoot for an hour or so. Not worth paying $50 for guest passes at CR, and for me approximately the same distance. There are at least two places on the way for ammo/clays/targets.

The kicker is $2.23 for shipping and handling, which I didn't notice until pressing the "submit" button. I would not do it online again.

I would pay $22.33 to not have to do it in a store.  Online was fast and easy.  Any time I've ever done it in a store, no matter how good a hunting store it was, something screwed up.  The machine failed, the person didn't hit the correct magic buttons, some permit I wanted wasn't available that very minute, etc.  Online was so much better.  I'll never do it in person again!

I would pay $22.33 to not have to do it in a store.  Online was fast and easy.  Any time I've ever done it in a store, no matter how good a hunting store it was, something screwed up.  The machine failed, the person didn't hit the correct magic buttons, some permit I wanted wasn't available that very minute, etc.  Online was so much better.  I'll never do it in person again!

Send me the $22.33 and I'll do it for you, and not even charge shipping & handling :)

I understand what you're saying, but my experiences in shops have been 100% positive. When I got my first NJ license in 1992 they used my NY license so I didn't have to take the course. Renewals take like 5 minutes, maybe 10, but I'm looking around the shop anyway. Let it lapse for about 10 years but they were able to use my old license (which I miraculously was able to find). 

It's like P2Ps. Some guys it takes 6 months; some under 30 days. Do what's right for you.

Hello

So I passed the online hunters Ed course tonight and would like to do my field test this Saturday...what time do I need to show up? The class site says 8am, but I assume that it for the whole field walk and test. If I show up at 8am will they let me do the just the test (shotgun and bow) or do I need to whole day?

Thanks

Gabe

Pretty easy process , renewed my hunters license Jan 2 all set . And yes I use to go often enough in the past that I have seen them check and have been checked myself. Do your part and pay the fee. Cheapest 22 and clay range around.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever been asked for their hunting license at a WMA shooting range?  I've been to several many, many times, and have actually never seen a conservation officer there.  I've seen state troopers and cops drive through, but never a F&W officer.  

I have personally seen the CO in my area checking for licenses at the WMA range.

Anyone going to Clinton WMA on Saturday for Hunter's Safety?  I finished the workbook - I guess I gotta do the test and field test there.

since you didnt take the online course, you will have to do the field class, you will be there for around 3-4 hrs instead of 40 min

since you didnt take the online course, you will have to do the filed class, you will be there for around 3-4 hrs instead of 40 min

The online course is the pay course, right?  I went through all of the videos and workbook...  I still need to sit through the class?