ogfarmer

Remember to renew your hunting license if you use WMA's for the range

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever been asked for their hunting license at a WMA shooting range?  I've been to several many, many times, and have actually never seen a conservation officer there.  I've seen state troopers and cops drive through, but never a F&W officer.  

Not once at the ranges. But the first time I visted Wittingham 23 years ago during bird season I was almost snagged for having an improper case for my shotgun, i.e. the cardboard box it came in when I bought it the day before. I didn't know from gun cases or NJ law. My partner talked the guy out of ... executing me? I don't know what the penalty would have been. 

Thanks man, I took it about 15 years ago just never got into hunting. I still have my first license in my SG case.

That should be enough. I never took the course (so watch out!). I was grandfathered in through a NY license. 1992 or around then. 

The WMAs are a good deal. When daughter and future S-i-L wanted to do a little shooting in December I drove to Flatbrook and paid nothing vs. taking them to Cherry Ridge and plunking down $50 for two guest passes. To me my hunting license fee is the only $$ I pay to the state that I feel is worthwhile. 

If you take the online course, you still have to take the written exam.

While the field test does add 3-4 hours, it's not a bad thing to walk through if you're new to hunting (and plan to hunt).

Written test at the field day? Then what was the test at the end of each chapter on the online course?

Right now I'm planning to go a 730 to see if I can jump the lines and test early.

Can someone confirm the bow test Range? Is it 15 yards?

Written test at the field day? Then what was the test at the end of each chapter on the online course?

Right now I'm planning to go a 730 to see if I can jump the lines and test early.

Can someone confirm the bow test Range? Is it 15 yards?

Yeah, a lot of the people who took hunter course online were surprised they had to take the exam too.  Get there early because parking can be a pain, especially if you have to park in the mud.  You generally do the field/shooting test first, then come back and take the written exam.  I was out by 10:30.

BTW, there are sample practice tests on the website that are probably more valuable to ensure you know the correct answers for the test.

they can be found at: http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/hntedexm.htm

run through those tests and you will have a very good idea if whether or not you are ready for the test as they are just slight different versions of the actual test (wording and order changes).

BTW, there are sample practice tests on the website that are probably more valuable to ensure you know the correct answers for the test.

they can be found at: http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/hntedexm.htm

run through those tests and you will have a very good idea if whether or not you are ready for the test as they are just slight different versions of the actual test (wording and order changes).

This sounds like a good idea, but I will also say that the test is extremely easy, as in almost impossible to fail.

The test isn't that difficult, don't sweat it. My 10 year old nephew aced it when I took him. I took it at 10 myself and passed (although the test back then was much different). The field walk through actually has some good information, I suggest doing it. Even if you don't plan to hunt, good information if your ever in a survival situation. I guarantee you will walk away learning something you didn't know.

Shotgun test is 3 clay birds, you can shoot the sky all three times and still pass. It's all about safe handling of the gun.

Archery when I took it was 15 yards 10" pie plate 3 out of 5 arrows or bolts must be in the 10" circle to pass. I suggest a crossbow, if your just learning how to shoot a bow. It's like shooting a rifle with a scope, no way you're missing at that distance with a crossbow.

The test isn't that difficult, don't sweat it. My 10 year old nephew aced it when I took him. I took it at 10 myself and passed (although the test back then was much different). The field walk through actually has some good information I suggest doing it. Even if you don't plan to hunt, good information if your ever in a survival situation.

Shotgun test is 3 clay birds, you can shoot the sky all three times and still pass. It's all about safe handling of the gun.

Archery when I took it was 15 yards 10" pie plate 3 out of 5 arrows or bolts must be in the 10" circle to pass. I suggest a crossbow, if your just learning how to shoot a bow. It's like shooting a rifle with a scope, no way you're missing at that distance with a crossbow.

I agree with everything and especially about the field walk, it was actually quite enjoyable and it provided a wealth of knowledge and experiences from the instructor. 

Our instructor told us a story about why he has been doing this for the past 25 years, he was out with his son, his nephew and his brother in law and his brother in law fell out of his tree stand and was paralyzed.

Apparently using a tree stand is by far the most dangerous thing you can do, but there are precautions you can take, unfortunately not every one does.

I always ware a harness. Did you know the anti hunters celebrate when a guy falls and is killed from a tree stand. Pretty sick individuals. A guy died last year in Budd Lake, the antis threw a party. No joke.

54ec66de53b8d24612fba3558bfcba63.jpg got my HSS harness on!

a138e945dbe51c3656bc60eaedfa2090.jpgdon't want to fall from that height!

The test isn't that difficult, don't sweat it. My 10 year old nephew aced it when I took him. I took it at 10 myself and passed (although the test back then was much different). The field walk through actually has some good information, I suggest doing it. Even if you don't plan to hunt, good information if your ever in a survival situation. I guarantee you will walk away learning something you didn't know. Shotgun test is 3 clay birds, you can shoot the sky all three times and still pass. It's all about safe handling of the gun. Archery when I took it was 15 yards 10" pie plate 3 out of 5 arrows or bolts must be in the 10" circle to pass. I suggest a crossbow, if your just learning how to shoot a bow. It's like shooting a rifle with a scope, no way you're missing at that distance with a crossbow.

Yeah - I know I can hit the clays.  I was most worried about the Archery part.  I do have a crossbow now... But if it's a pie plate at 15 yards I can hit... I just need my bolts to get here in time.  Scheduled to arrive today via UPS.  *fingers crossed*

Worst case scenario hit up strictly archery on 57, they have bolts. What x-bow did you go with?

Barnett Gamecrusher (Dick's special from Black Friday).  Combination of the Brotherhood (Limbs) and Jackal (Stock).  Shoots well - I can hit pretty accurately out to 40 yards.  My issue was that it's so strong it was penetrating too much into the targets at 15 and 20 yards - it screwed up a couple of my bolt fletchings.  I ordered new ones anyway..

Half Moon.  No worries - I ordered a set of Barnett Headhunter 20" Bolts from Dick's (ship to home) from their store on Sunday - UPS is out for delivery right now (I'm tracking it).  I also got some Black Eagle Executioner bolts that look like they'll work well too - scheduled for delivery for today from USPS too... lol.  I might just keep the Black Eagles and use those and return the Barnett, depending on the performance and how I like 'em.

Half Moon. No worries - I ordered a set of Barnett Headhunter 20" Bolts from Dick's (ship to home) from their store on Sunday - UPS is out for delivery right now (I'm tracking it). I also got some Black Eagle Executioner bolts that look like they'll work well too - scheduled for delivery for today from USPS too... lol. I might just keep the Black Eagles and use those and return the Barnett, depending on the performance and how I like 'em.

Cool, practice with them a little before you take your test.

Yeah I'm debating whether to use the Headhunters which I know work well or the new Black Eagle Executioners...

Go with whatever groups the best, just like rifle ammo. Don't shoot at the same spot on your target either! It's really easy to Robin hood with a crossbow. Bolts aren't cheap!

I spoke with an instructor and basically he said that the questions online serve for questions on the exam. The field walk through the guy basically goes over the... hey remember this for the test..

I took the exam in probably under 25 mins, didnt study and only got one wrong after doing the online voucher.