ogfarmer

Remember to renew your hunting license if you use WMA's for the range

Quick question, but where do you go to take a hunter safety course?  I want to get my license, mainly to use WMAs (and also in case I decide to hunt), but I don't really know where or when you can take it.

Quick question, but where do you go to take a hunter safety course?  I want to get my license, mainly to use WMAs (and also in case I decide to hunt), but I don't really know where or when you can take it.

http://njfishandwildlife.com/hunted.htm

show up 20 min before 8 and get in line to check in and get your ticket to take down to the practical. then they will send people who took online course thru to the test. I was in and out in 40 min.

OG did you have to take a test there? How were you able to get in and out in under an hour? I went this morning and spoke with the course instructor and he told me even with the online test, it's still a 3-4 hour commitment.

Unfortunately for me I have a family event at noon so I couldn't stay....

Good luck to the guys I saw there...

Quick question, but where do you go to take a hunter safety course? I want to get my license, mainly to use WMAs (and also in case I decide to hunt), but I don't really know where or when you can take it.

There are multiple WMA'S across the state with testing facilities. Many gun ranges/clubs also offer test dates. Here is the current schedule dates/locations.

https://www.nj.wildlifelicense.com/ALS/course/course_report.php

OG did you have to take a test there? How were you able to get in and out in under an hour? I went this morning and spoke with the course instructor and he told me even with the online test, it's still a 3-4 hour commitment.

Unfortunately for me I have a family event at noon so I couldn't stay....

Good luck to the guys I saw there...

I took my nephew to Clinton he was finished with everything in an hour and a half. Depends on how fast you take your written test. And how long the wait at the clay range is. The walk through took about half hour. Half hour for the written test, & half hour/20 min to break birds. We were out of there by 10am. If he did archery it would have been longer.

I wouldn't complain too much, when I took my test in 1987 it was a 3 day ordeal. My mom had to bring me to Vernon in the middle of nowhere. Thursday evening for the lecture, back Friday evening for the written test, then Saturday morning to a random field (in the middle of nowhere lol) for the clay bird shoot. It was a 45 minute ride each way 6 times, each session was 3 hours. And that was just for shotgun. Had to do the same thing all over again when I turned 13 for archery. And once more at 18 for rifle/muzzeloader.

Thankfully now your can be finished in one day within 3-4 hours max for everything. That's a huge improvement. Besides it's only one half a day out of your life forever. You never have to go back.

Plus your NJ hunters certificate, is accepted in every other state to obtain their license. If you decide you want to hunt pidgin in NYS one day, or Grizzly in Alaska, Hawaii for a pig hunt, you're set!

I got there at 7:45 - right before the rush of people.  Sign in started - finally got moving at about 8:30.

If you didn't finish the online course, you stayed in the classroom for the class then field walkthrough.  Those of us who did the online course, they split off  - archery only first went outside to do the field test.  Firearm only and those doing Firearm/Archery went indoors to the test room where the instructor did a small presentation, then let the firearms only people out to the shotgun range.  The muzzleloaders started their test while the archery guys and girls sat through another presentation... then we went out to do the archery practical, then the shotgun, then back for the written test.

I finished at about 11:15...  3 1/2 hours...

I got there at 7:45 - right before the rush of people. Sign in started - finally got moving at about 8:30.

If you didn't finish the online course, you stayed in the classroom for the class then field walkthrough. Those of us who did the online course, they split off - archery only first went outside to do the field test. Firearm only and those doing Firearm/Archery went indoors to the test room where the instructor did a small presentation, then let the firearms only people out to the shotgun range. The muzzleloaders started their test while the archery guys and girls sat through another presentation... then we went out to do the archery practical, then the shotgun, then back for the written test.

I finished at about 11:15... 3 1/2 hours...

I assume you passed everything?

Was out at Makepeace Lake WMA today.  Was there about 10 minutes when 2 Conservation officers arrived.   They were very friendly (of course it helps that I had everything in order) and left after chatting a bit.  Make sure all your ducks are in a row if you're going to take advantage of these ranges.

So if you buy a hunting licence now, is it only good until July 1st?  Or is it good until the end of the year?  I was told they're good on the fiscal calendar, not actual calendar...

Whoever told you that is wrong.  They expire Dec. 31st.

Rifle permits are July to June where the rest of your license is January to December. Strange rules and schedules.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good point. But to use the WMA all you need is a hunting license. I don't have a rifle permit, but have no issue using the range. Including the rifles I was out there with this afternoon.

So if you buy a hunting licence now, is it only good until July 1st? Or is it good until the end of the year? I was told they're good on the fiscal calendar, not actual calendar...

The shotgun or archery license expire on December 31st. Good from Jan 1st to December 31st.

Rifle permits expire in June.

I usually get the all around sportsmen because I fish too. Saves a few bucks that way.