fatty

H&K VP9 vs P229 vs P226 in 9mm

Of the 3 choices - VP9, P229, P226 which would you pick?

I'm pretty set on getting one of the 3 in 9mm but can't make up my mind... wish I could afford all 3

The VP9 has some really great reviews online.  Polygonal rifling... one of the finest striker fired triggers?  great ergonomics... takes P30 mags... never held or fired one

The P229 and P226 have always had great reviews and feels great to shoot but costs about $150-200 more.

Has anyone ever had any issues with used Sigs?

A p229 is on my short list too. A friend has one and after shooting it that was enough to sell me on it. He has not had any issues with the gun at all. the 229 has performed flawlessly even though he shoots the gun allot and does not clean it that often.  

What other guns do you have? I guess it boils down to the extent that you want similar or different guns. Polymer striker versus a metal DA/SA?

I don't have any experience with used Sigs, but I do notice that it's relatively easy to source parts. In fact, you'll see on eBay a complete used parts kit for a p229, ex frame and mag, for under $200. 

I have both a P229 and VP9. I got the P229 first and chose it over the a P226 because the longer barrel on the P226 seemed somewhat cumbersome and unwieldly (yeah, I know it's only an extra 1/2 inch), and I didn't seem to shoot it any more accurately than the P229. Having said that, I'm now probably going to pick up a used P226 at some point because I just finished reading American Sniper and I'm now feel like a SEAL wannabe :icon_redface:

If I had to choose between a P229 and VP9 (and didn't have any other guns), I'd choose the P229, and that's because I like the "safety" of a DA initial pull in stress situations. I once heard a noise in my home downstairs and was almost certain there was someone down there. I made sure all family members were accounted for and went to investigate with my P229. All the trigger discipline I had been practicing didn't mean squat and my index finger kept getting drawn to the trigger like a magnet. Of course, this was a training issue for me, and not necessarily a gun issue. Also, it won't be relevant if you have other guns that fill that role.

Another thing I like about my P229 is the sight picture. I have factory night sights and get the best results with somewhere between a sight picture #2 and #3. My VP9 is a true sight picture #3, and this kind of annoys me since it obscures the target. This would of course be more of an issue with smaller targets at longer distances. Also, I understand Sigs were meant to come from the factory set for #3, so it just might be my gun.

There's also felt recoil, with the metal SIGs soaking up more of it compared to the polymer VP9. Personally, I never really noticed the difference until a beginner I brought to the range pointed it out.

Just some thoughts to consider. I guess it boils down to what you already have, what you're looking for, and if it's meant to fill a particular role.

I can only speak to the Sigs as that all I own in Semi Auto handguns.

I have P226 in 22, 9mm and 40 S&W. P229 no rail 40 S&W, and A SP2022 in 9

I honestly can say I appreciate the 229 more. Not that I have any issues with the others.

One thing with the earlier P229 is that it was built as A 40. While the later 229s are avail i all calibers.

The 229 and the 226 in 40 were both bought used and never had any problems

What other guns do you have? I guess it boils down to the extent that you want similar or different guns. Polymer striker versus a metal DA/SA?

I don't have any experience with used Sigs, but I do notice that it's relatively easy to source parts. In fact, you'll see on eBay a complete used parts kit for a p229, ex frame and mag, for under $200. 

I have both a P229 and VP9. I got the P229 first and chose it over the a P226 because the longer barrel on the P226 seemed somewhat cumbersome and unwieldly (yeah, I know it's only an extra 1/2 inch), and I didn't seem to shoot it any more accurately than the P229. Having said that, I'm now probably going to pick up a used P226 at some point because I just finished reading American Sniper and I'm now feel like a SEAL wannabe :icon_redface:

If I had to choose between a P229 and VP9 (and didn't have any other guns), I'd choose the P229, and that's because I like the "safety" of a DA initial pull in stress situations. I once heard a noise in my home downstairs and was almost certain there was someone down there. I made sure all family members were accounted for and went to investigate with my P229. All the trigger discipline I had been practicing didn't mean squat and my index finger kept getting drawn to the trigger like a magnet. Of course, this was a training issue for me, and not necessarily a gun issue. Also, it won't be relevant if you have other guns that fill that role.

Another thing I like about my P229 is the sight picture. I have factory night sights and get the best results with somewhere between a sight picture #2 and #3. My VP9 is a true sight picture #3, and this kind of annoys me since it obscures the target. This would of course be more of an issue with smaller targets at longer distances. Also, I understand Sigs were meant to come from the factory set for #3, so it just might be my gun.

There's also felt recoil, with the metal SIGs soaking up more of it compared to the polymer VP9. Personally, I never really noticed the difference until a beginner I brought to the range pointed it out.

Just some thoughts to consider. I guess it boils down to what you already have, what you're looking for, and if it's meant to fill a particular role.

As of now I only have 1 handgun (my avatar image and now in the classifieds) - an SA RO 1911 that I can't comfortably shoot anymore due to a wrist/hand injury so I'm transitioning back to 9mm.

I've had a beretta 92fs, ruger sp101 .357, glock 23 gen4, and SA 1911 so I'm pretty familiar with SA/DA, striker fired, etc...

I'm leaning more toward the p229/p226

Thanks for the input guys

Of the three I have both the 229 and the VP9 - if I had to choose only one it would be the 229 for the reasons mentioned above.  Another major benefit IMO is the ability to easily change calibers.  One frame and you can shoot .22lr, 9mm, .40s&w and .357sig. 

I just fondled all of the above at a shop and made the decision to go with the P229.  Man I love those E2 grips and the thing just fits my hand like no other.

The SRT trigger I feel is a must as well.

The P2P countdown and search begins...

Yup it was the P229R but the SRT kit was installed on a p226 I was checking out.

Surprisingly the VP9 wasn't very appealing once I had it in my hands. Maybe it was due to the grip panels... But it felt like a toy haha.

My P226 was my very first firearm - purchased it within an hour of getting my FID.  I always knew I wanted a P226, the store had one, and I purchased it.  I do kinda wish I'd waited for one with night sights, the .40/.357, and/or an Elite model, but I still do love my P226 in 9mm.  I've also got the Sig Pro 2022 9mm, which is another nice Sig, just not quite as nice as the P228/P229.  I have not handled a VP9, so I can't comment...  But I can say I've been very happy with the performance and reliability of my Sigs.

I fully intend to eventually get a P220, P228, P229, P239, and/or M11 in the future, so I guess that tells you where my vote lies... 

If you are going to want the SRT kit you might want to keep your eye out for one. They are usually tough to find.

I dont think you will find A 229 with SRT from the factory.

For this reason, I'm now looking into the P229 SAS Gen2 which doesn't have rails (makes no difference to me - wasn't planning on adding a light)

The SAS version comes with SRT and night sights =)

Any reason you didn't include the HK P30 in your list? An HK striker gun and two DA/SA Sigs. The P30 can go either way. LEM has a consistent trigger pull, like striker fired guns. Or DA/SA. Personally I am not a fan of HK DA/SA triggers.  That HK $200 rebate really helped. Made an $850 gun into a $650 gun. 

I really do enjoy my P30 V1 in 9mm (light LEM).  Sometimes I consider picking up the VP9 as well, but my Glock 34 currently servers that role. If they had offered the rebate for the VP9, I would have one right now.

I am very partial to the Sig Sauer traditional DA SA pistols. I have the 226 9 mm & a 229 40 cal. The 226 is so old that the slide is marked "Made in W. Germany". It is an excellent gun, very accurate & never any malfunctions. I have a lot of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain JHP, and also a few boxes of Winchester Silvertip, probably 115 grain. The 229 40 is also very accurate, using Winchester Ranger & Federal ammo, both 135 grain JHPs. 

I have looked at the H&K VP 9 a few times, but I did not buy it, at least not yet. Maybe I will buy it sometime this year. I was undecided if I wanted to get another polymer frame, striker fired pistol, as I have the Glock 19 & 23. I may instead decide to get the H&K USP series in either 9 mm or 40 cal, since that is a polymer frame, but a traditional double & single action. Only possible problem with the full size USP is that they are VERY large pistols. 

Any reason you didn't include the HK P30 in your list? An HK striker gun and two DA/SA Sigs. The P30 can go either way. LEM has a consistent trigger pull, like striker fired guns. Or DA/SA. Personally I am not a fan of HK DA/SA triggers.  That HK $200 rebate really helped. Made an $850 gun into a $650 gun. 

I really do enjoy my P30 V1 in 9mm (light LEM).  Sometimes I consider picking up the VP9 as well, but my Glock 34 currently servers that role. If they had offered the rebate for the VP9, I would have one right now.

I'm not sure to tell you the truth.  I was looking at so many different models that I kinda just slimmed it down to the 3 above that caught the most interest at the time.

The VP9 was my first choice, but after fondling one at a shop it just didn't feel right in my hands and the trigger felt mediocre compared to all the raving reviews I read online.  I probably should've held a few more H&K's but I just couldn't leave the Sig cabinet alone at the time.

Man if that $200 rebate was still around I probably would've bought an H&K already.  That's a huge savings. 

I'm not sure to tell you the truth.  I was looking at so many different models that I kinda just slimmed it down to the 3 above that caught the most interest at the time.

The VP9 was my first choice, but after fondling one at a shop it just didn't feel right in my hands and the trigger felt mediocre compared to all the raving reviews I read online.  I probably should've held a few more H&K's but I just couldn't leave the Sig cabinet alone at the time.

Man if that $200 rebate was still around I probably would've bought an H&K already.  That's a huge savings. 

Yup. I used the rebate to buy a P30 V1 (light LEM). I really like it and am getting better with it. 

I live up in Sig Country (1 mile from corporate headquarters, 5 miles from Sig Academy). Everyone up here loves them. I think it's a New Hampshire pride thing. If you ever make it up here, you really need to check out the Sig Academy store. Two whole walls of guns. Very impressive.   I particularly like the rifles. The pistols don't do much for me.