Blake

What was your least favorite gun purchase?

I find it interesting that the very firearm the Army has deemed as fit for a combat sidearm all these years is a prime candidate for the "guns I regret buying" file.

I find it interesting that the very firearm the Army has deemed as fit for a combat sidearm all these years is a prime candidate for the "guns I regret buying" file.

I thought the M9 and 92 were identical or nearly identical? different strokes for different folks I guess.

I thought the M9 and 92 were identical or nearly identical? different strokes for different folks I guess.

The only difference is 2 dot sights, and a straight dust cover (my preference) on the M9.  The M9 25th Anny was my first purchase ever, and while I admit it doesn't get a lot of range time anymore, I found it accurate and serviceable.  

The only difference is 2 dot sights, and a straight dust cover (my preference) on the M9.  The M9 25th Anny was my first purchase ever, and while I admit it doesn't get a lot of range time anymore, I found it accurate and serviceable.  

Thanks for pointing that out, wondered that for a while.

I'm surprised by how many responses mentioned the Beretta 92...  I have the 92A1 variation and it's one of my favorites.  Super accurate and after doing the D spring mod and after breaking it in thoroughly, it's a great shooter.  I'm very accurate with it and it's a joy to shoot.  I have at least 2,000 rounds of factory and reloaded ammo through mine and have not had a single failure. I wonder if those that were not happy with it have small hands and were not able to grip it well?  It does have a beefy grip, so I think that people with bigger hands would be able to shoot it better... I have big hands and the grip is great for me.

I can name quite a few that I purchased through A-n-A that I regret. Luckily, I got to fondle them for awhile prior to taking possession. If I didn't care for them for whatever reason, I would sell them off. Now, I am picky on what I purchase, even to resell.

I'm surprised by how many responses mentioned the Beretta 92...  I have the 92A1 variation and it's one of my favorites.  Super accurate and after doing the D spring mod and after breaking it in thoroughly, it's a great shooter.  I'm very accurate with it and it's a joy to shoot.  I have at least 2,000 rounds of factory and reloaded ammo through mine and have not had a single failure. I wonder if those that were not happy with it have small hands and were not able to grip it well?  It does have a beefy grip, so I think that people with bigger hands would be able to shoot it better... I have big hands and the grip is great for me.

I concur 100%.  I have that same gun with the d-spring replacement (and i replaced the trigger to the steel trigger) and it fits my hands well.  In fact, i even have the hogue grips on it, making it an even beefier grip. 

I have a 92fs and I am unsure if I will keep it or sell it. Love the looks of the thing but for some reason the magazine does not lock back sometimes on the last round, maybe 1 in 5 it wont lock back. I think its my grip hitting the slide release.

It is.

I had the same problem.  It's a grip issue.

Mp40c. Stock trigger on the MP series in my opinion is terrible. Had to drop a crap load of money into it, Apex trigger, just to make made it shootable.

Now it shoots great!

Also, bought the XDS 4.0 when they first came out, love the way the gun feels, but again the trigger sucks!

Thinking of selling one or both of them!

Mp40c. Stock trigger on the MP series in my opinion is terrible. Had to drop a crap load of money into it, Apex trigger, just to make made it shootable.

Now it shoots great!

Also, bought the XDS 4.0 when they first came out, love the way the gun feels, but again the trigger sucks!

Thinking of selling one or both of them!

It seems the mp triggers are hit or miss. My mp9c trigger is pretty good after 500 or so rds of breaking in.

JR Carbine 9mm:  This gun felt like it was assembled from spare parts someone found in their garage.  Half of the time the magazine would drop out while shooting.  Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Beretta Nano:  I love all things Beretta and really wanted to like this gun.  Between the fit in my hand and the trigger I hated this gun.

I hated my CZ......said nobody. EVER!!! :)

Actually, I heard it exactly once :-) The guy had P-06 (I think that's the model in .40 with a compact frame with a rail) and "it absolutely didn't feel right" for him.

Yes, I was surprised either :-)

Gamo air rifle. I thought I would be able to get some back yard practice in but it was not to be. First it was way to loud thought it would be like my old crossman 760. Nope thing is as loud as a 22 with the crack from the pellet breaking the sound barrier. The other problem is that the trigger sucks even as light as the adjustment goes it still feels like it is a 12 lb trigger.

Browning BDM - nice that grip was small, but double mode, while interesting, ended up causing the trigger to be marginal.  

Very reliable but not accurate sold it to a buddy for $200 just so he would have a 9mm for home protection.

He has since bought a nice Sig p226.  I moved on to an HK P30L LEM V1 - love it.

Beretta 92FS... didn't have removable/upgradeable sights and the grip was too thick.  And, I didn't realize that I didn't want a handgun that big and that I didn't want a DA/SA version, or one with a safety.  I didn't hate it though.  I thought it looked awesome, it was quality and well-made...

I'm with you 100% on this.  Everyone told me you have to get a 92FS, so I did - big mistake.  Don't get me wrong it's a good gun and fairly accurate.  The issues I have are mostly what Underdog said above, you can't change the front sight and the grip is made for someone that must be 6'6" and have hands to match.  I can't reach the mag release without rotating my grip, and then obviously it takes time to reacquire the right grip.  Then there is that double action trigger pull which makes my 686 revolver look soft by comparison.  I did the D-spring modification, but it still is not great.  Then there is the whole decocker thing, I much prefer a safety.  But it is all my fault as I really did not do my research and know much more about guns today than when I bought it.  But she is highly reliable and can take a licking and keeps on ticking.

Domestic dispute...I was the first unit in and took two rounds from a 30-06 into my fender, fired 3 rounds back and the recoil spring broke...leaving me crouched behind my cruiser with an 870 and 5 rounds waiting for backup.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

Domestic dispute...I was the first unit in and took two rounds from a 30-06 into my fender, fired 3 rounds back and the recoil spring broke...leaving me crouched behind my cruiser with an 870 and 5 rounds waiting for backup. This signature is AWESOME!!!

Wow.  Do you know how many rounds were through the gun when that happened?

Sig 229R with DAK trigger. Terrible trigger. Beautiful gun. Sold it a while ago.

I don't hate the DAK trigger, but it's not as good I expected. So I'm converting my 229 to DA/SA. Like you, I think it's a really nice pistol.