JohnnyB

Looking for a.22 pistol that will eat anything!

Including the cheap Remington Thunderbolt crap bulk ammo. I have so much of that ammo it's nuts and I need a pistol that can 

reliably feed and fire it so I can get rid of it all! I have a Sig P220 and P229 that I can get conversion kits for

but they are way too bulky. I also have a High Standard "The Victor" that will eat almost anything but is only 10 rounds.

15 round capacity would be sweet! I love CCI mini mag .22LR ammo but I can't get it for 20 bucks a brick anymore.

Any advice appreciated!

You will be hard pressed to find a 22 with 15 rd capacity. I don't think anyone makes a 22 lr handgun with a 15 rd capacity. I had some 12 rd ram line magazines for my Ruger. Don't have one now but my Ruger 22 ate everything. Don't know how the current ones are.

You will be hard pressed to find a 22 with 15 rd capacity. I don't think anyone makes a 22 lr handgun with a 15 rd capacity. I had some 12 rd ram line magazines for my Ruger. Don't have one now but my Ruger 22 ate everything. Don't know how the current ones are.

Thanks GRIZ,

The 15 round capacity is not as important to me as its ability to reliably eat most ammo.

ruger sr22 eats pretty much anything from what i have heard from owners here

I did have one issue with my sr22 using winchester wildcat .22.  It left a relatively large lead deposit 3/4 of the way down the barrel.  I had to scrub that bastard off there pretty hard.  I personally blame that on the ammo, god it was awful.  

I have a Ruger MKIII and it eats anything......thunderbolts, golden bullets, regular stuff, winchester, mini mags, stingers, yellowjackets.......anything.

Capacity is 10 rd though.

Thanks, This is much like my Hi Standard target pistol! A great gun but I am looking for something a bit more compact. I also have a Jennings J 22 but it is picky about what it will fire!

To be expected for a POS pistol!

I did have one issue with my sr22 using winchester wildcat .22.  It left a relatively large lead deposit 3/4 of the way down the barrel.  I had to scrub that bastard off there pretty hard.  I personally blame that on the ammo, god it was awful.  

checko, Thanks, but did you ever run the Remington Thunderbolt crap through it???  I have some wildcat in my inventory and can avoid it based on your revelations.

In my experience, the purpose built 22 pistols are more reliable than the scaled down versions of full size guns. The Ruger Mark or (my favorite) Browning Buckmark are great choices, albeit with 10 round capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lunker,  Unfortunately, the Browning Buckmark although a beauty, is single action only! So far the Ruger SR22 seems to be a more worthy choice as I like a double action

as opposed to single. Something to be said about seeing the hammer and its position!

checko, Thanks, but did you ever run the Remington Thunderbolt crap through it???  I have some wildcat in my inventory and can avoid it based on your revelations.

I did not use that specifically.  I've used other "budget" ammo and a bunch of cci no problem.  I honestly had to give that wildcat away (to OG I think lol) because no one would buy it.  

I did not use that specifically.  I've used other "budget" ammo and a bunch of cci no problem.  I honestly had to give that wildcat away (to OG I think lol) because no one would buy it.  

I thought you could not do worse than Remington Thunderbolt!

OG, What are your thoughts???

he did give me the wildcats, which I still have.   I didnt run thunderbolts thru his gun the day I tried it. I used golden bullets, federal standard vel and some cci standard. I dont own a sr22 but researched buying one but never got a semi 22 HG

I would try out the SR22 before buying it.  Mine seems to fire everything, I just do not like shooting it too much.  I would not have purchased it if I could have shot it before hand.  You might want to look into a S&W M&P 22.  I think it is 12 rounds and the one I am familiar with seems to handle just about anything.   I don't know anything about the slightly smaller M&P 22 compact, but it is made in USA and might be nice.   However, you really cannot go wrong with a revolver if you want it to shoot everything.  I'd stick with a  DA/SA if you go that route. 

ruger sr22 eats pretty much anything from what i have heard from owners here

+1 on the Ruger, I have an SR22 and it definitely eats anything.  It is also one of our favorite funs, my wife and kids love it.

I also have several boxes of the thunder'crap's.   If you just want to plink for the fun of pulling the trigger, hearing the "pop" and hitting "large" targets, I can recommend either the S&W M&P 22 or the Colt 1911-22.  Both of these semi-autos are made by Walther and share similar internal designs.  Magazines hold 10 or 12 rounds and I have had no FTFs or FTEs with either gun using the thunder'crap's.  Both semi-autos are easy to field strip & clean, which you will need to do because the thunder'crap's leave lots of residue.  The M&P has ambi controls, which appeals to me because I'm a lefty.  The Colt 1911-22 is all metal and has the same size and feel as a standard 1911.  Both can be purchased for under $400.  The fun factor is high as well as the value proposition.

I would try out the SR22 before buying it.  Mine seems to fire everything, I just do not like shooting it too much.  I would not have purchased it if I could have shot it before hand.  You might want to look into a S&W M&P 22.  I think it is 12 rounds and the one I am familiar with seems to handle just about anything.   I don't know anything about the slightly smaller M&P 22 compact, but it is made in USA and might be nice.   However, you really cannot go wrong with a revolver if you want it to shoot everything.  I'd stick with a  DA/SA if you go that route. 

mine  m&p  doesn't like federal ammo.  And as far as thunderbolts are concerned, I would use a bore snake after every fifty rounds. 

I have the Walther P22, haven't had any ammo it won't cycle yet. Remington and federal bulk pack that gun eats right up. I can shoot this thing all day and not get bored with it. Fits my hand well. I thought I would hate the mag release on the trigger guard, but actually I love it wish all my semi auto hand guns had that style mag release. I believe I paid $450 because it's carbon fiber, the plain black model is around $400 I'm pretty sure.

03554ba114eb3410066c4bf1af4d9600.jpg

I also have the Sig 1911-22, gotta say haven't had any problems with this gun either. I use bulk ammo with this one as well. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to shoot than my Colt .45acp 1911. & the price was right, got it brand new for $400, have seen them sell for even less than that.

b434a733167adb2f4654bc62f934b20e.jpg

To the OP:

If you ever get out to RTSP, I will gladly meet you there to shoot either or both if you want. I'm usually there at least once a week. Not sure where your located.

I really believe the most versatile and most upgradeable 22 on the market as a family target/plinkster is the reliable, time-proven designed Ruger 22/45 Lite with about a 4" barrel.  

I haven't really found any 22 totally reliable.  Revolvers are probably the best.  My SR22 has never had a hickup, BUT because I haven't been able to get 22 ammo, it really hasn't been used as much as the others, either.  The trigger to me feels akin to my target stapler. However, since my hands aren't too big, the ergonomics are very nice and the sights for what they are worth, they are nice, too.  Breakdown and cleanup is OK.  Certainly better than the Marks, which aren't any big deal once you do it a couple of times. 

My favorite 22s are the M&P 22, the Colt Woodsman, and believe it or not, an old High Standard revolver.   Many people think the Ruger Mark is an ugly gun.  I actually don't like the looks of the Buckmark, but think it is a better gun out of the box.  With time and money, the Ruger Mark is probably the best 22 out there (as a semi-auto).   Mine ate everything until one day it started hickupping.  I bought a Voltquartzen ejector and with a Youtube video, I have been in business ever since.  My preference is for the 5.5" bull barrel stainless Mark II.  I don't mind the mag release at the bottom of the grip.  However, it is a rather heavy gun for some and that is where the 22/45 Lite comes in. 

I have a Ruger MKIII and it eats anything......thunderbolts, golden bullets, regular stuff, winchester, mini mags, stingers, yellowjackets.......anything.

Capacity is 10 rd though.

+1 on that... I have the MKIII Hunter and it eats anything I put through it without any issues.

I got the S&W M&P 22 Compact a week before release this August - it has been superb.  In addition to being perhaps the perfect compliment and trainer/utility/fun gun juxtaposed with my M&P Shield, it has been amazingly reliable, accurate, durable, and fun.

I would HIGHLY recommend the M&P 22 Compact , which is made in house by S&W and features nearly identical styling and features as the M&P lineup