boo

Ares Breath Muzzle Brake

I'm thinking of getting this for a 10.5" barrel. Idea is to have reduced muzzle velocity and lower penetration for HD use since I can't have an SBR. And I don't like NJ legal AR pistols.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/Muzzle_Ares_Breath

Assuming it passes muster with the ATF, okay idea or dumb?

That thing is simply the baffles for a suppressor without the shroud. Sig tried that and got their PeePee smacked pretty hard. Curious what will happen with Area as they are already knee the microscope.

Personally, I think it is a dumb idea. It will not slow the rounds enough to change their terminal effects in modern construction materials at room distance. You are spending extra money and effort for no change from a 14.5" barrel with a standard pinned brake/comp.

As far as rifle v pistol in a house, all studies I have - FBI, ATF, .mil - show pistol rounds penetrate more walls and retain more mass than .223 rounds:

DF6BE02A-59D1-4812-98BF-63645BCC107B_zps

* note: the .40 and 9mm shots were taken with 7" barrel subgun. The barrels taking the .223 shots are described in the chart.

Additionally, with proper training clearing anything from a closet to a long hallway is easily accomplished with a standard size AR - including operating it one handed.

That actually looks pretty good.

...... even though he had his finger on the trigger, selector off safe and set to FA, and was not on target, in the beginning of the video.

Its an amazing brake, I love it, zero muzzle rise the stability is excellent. Finger looks fine imo, still straight forward prob resting along the corner of the lower but glove hides it, but I digress.

Slight thread drift:

1) Why is he off safe without being on target? There is no excuse.

2) That finger position is un-sat. If that was a class in was instructor or an AI of I would correct you once, a second infraction and would be out of a class.

lol ok boss

Say what you want. No skin off my nose - but that is an accident waiting to happen. One startle or sympathetic reflex response and he's got a few rounds in the deck, or whatever his muzzle is pointing at.

I'll tell you this though, I teach a few classes a year and I know a lot of knowledgeable and reputable instructors - not a single one of them would allow that in their class or consider it safe. It would be an immediate No-Go in a shoothouse or CQB course. If one of my teammates ran their gun that way it would lead to a quick wall-to-wall counseling session as soon as was feasible, followed by ejection from the team forthwith.

I can only base this on the operations of my one and only rifle, but if you watch the video sequence he charges the rifle before bringing it up for firing. On mine I cannot activate the safety unless the charging handle has been actuated. I have been told that is a common characteristic.

You are an RSO at RTSP? Ask Frank from Spartan Group what he thinks about that.

I dont have to ask anyone about anything...I know the difference between a commercial filmed in numerous takes, angles, edited, and put together vs real world...lol your turn.

I dont have to ask anyone about anything...I know the difference between a commercial filmed in numerous takes, angles, edited, and put together vs real world.

Granted - although that is also a very different sentiment than your original position of "Finger looks fine IMO".

In any event, there is still no excuse for finger on trigger without sights on target. Additionally, if you are holding the weapon it should have been checked for status and the safety engaged afterwards. Doesn't matter if it is a video, training, commercial, or real world operation of the weapon.

Anything less points directly to their professionalism and frankly turns me off of their products.

I went to their store (I'm in CA) and was tempted to pick one up for sh !ts and giggles, but it seemed like a lot of money to spend for just messing around and the flexibility is really limited since I can't have threaded barrels. Thought their polymer 80% 1911 kits were neat, but then again, I'm in NJ. So I just cursed and bought a t-shirt :(

Granted - although that is also a very different sentiment than your original position of "Finger looks fine IMO".

In any event, there is still no excuse for finger on trigger without sights on target. Additionally, if you are holding the weapon it should have been checked for status and the safety engaged afterwards. Doesn't matter if it is a video, training, commercial, or real world operation of the weapon.

Anything less points directly to their professionalism and frankly turns me off of their products.

Right, I stand by my original statement...I dont see his finger curled around the trigger, I see a finger pointing straight along the edge of the lower towards the mag release with a slightly larger glove with a crease by knuckle that will be taken up once the finger is bent. But in the end, its a single dimension screen shot which neither of us can actually see whats going on underneath.  

Right, I stand by my original statement...I dont see his finger curled around the trigger, I see a finger pointing straight along the edge of the lower towards the mag release with a slightly larger glove with a crease by knuckle that will be taken up once the finger is bent. But in the end, its a single dimension screen shot which neither of us can actually see whats going on underneath.  

even if finger is "off trigger" the safety should be off till shooting.. I am not some elite tactical operator.. but even I am on safe till shoot.. the AR safety is so easy to manipulate it should always be done this way.. and that gun is too low to be ready to be shot..

Out of curiosity, how does it perform for you?

Its awesome...I have a short vid clip of me taking a couple of shots test firing it for function...nice and steady even during controlled pairs. You'll see me lowering my aim during the shots, only cause i had no sights yet wanted to make sure i was hitting low nuff gainst the back stop lol...but you can see no rise during the shots, controlled pair at the end) Disclaimer: Finger off trigger and safety on before shooting LOL

I'm thinking of getting this for a 10.5" barrel. Idea is to have reduced muzzle velocity and lower penetration for HD use since I can't have an SBR. And I don't like NJ legal AR pistols.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/Muzzle_Ares_Breath

Assuming it passes muster with the ATF, okay idea or dumb?

Not sure what sort of walls you have, but anything that has a good chance of physically stopping an assailant will kill a family member after going through modern home construction walls. If you are worried about it going through the bad guy, most .223/5.56 rounds would have a better chance of remaining lethal after passing through at lower muzzle velocities than at higher muzzle velocities. At higher velocities these bullets tend to retain less momentum due to fragmentation/expansion/upset.

I'd like to post a picture of my trigger for expert critique but I think the days of good laughs are in the past.