Sign in to follow this  
ChrismNJ

Desert Eagle

I have a DE in 44 magnum.  It is one of my most fun guns.  It took about 500 rounds for things to smooth out, but it runs very well now.  Between the gas operation and the weight of the gun, it has much less recoil than other large caliber handguns.

It is a PITA to clean.  I also have to remember to keep my meaty palms from hitting the bottom of the magazine (which seems to be one of the most common causes of FTE).

It's very fun to shoot in an indoor range.  It produces fireballs and a sound that is very distinctive.  I can shoot it as well as any handgun i own, though.  Very fun.

i have 44 mag as well, what ammo do you use? my is very picky.

best matches

1. hornady

2. ppu

3. american eagle 

I use either Magtech or Freedommunitions, both of which I have few problems.  I found that the reloads I make for my rifle and revolver were too low power to reliably cycle the action.

Whenever I'm having a few problems, I usually realize my meaty palm is pushing on the bottom of the magazine.

I have the 44 mag.

Ammo i only use reloaded ammo.. i have been using 3 loads all with AA #9  240 gr hornady xtp  300 gr hornady xtp and berry's 240 gr flatpoint plated.. Have not experienced any leading with the plated bullets..

about 150 rounds. Do you think i need more rounds? brake in?

I'm no expert, but my gun still suffered more frequent issues until maybe 300+ rounds.    Once I got a bunch of boxes through it, things started getting better.  It runs nearly flawlessly now.  (I wouldn't trust it in a real gunfight yet, though).

I have a .50 and it's just awesome to shoot. felt recoil is somewhat modest given the round due to the weight of the gun. Muzzle rise is less than rearward push.

They are fun to shoot. The recoil is stout, but not as bad as as a 500 s&w. As with any gun, the first 300-400 rounds are breaking in the gun and expect a few hiccups.

I've used the Hornady 300gr and they worked without a problem. Now I started reloading with 300gr and 33.5gr of W296. Recoil is a little more and give you a nice fireball from the muzzle.

don't have a desert eagle, but have another model from the same company. baby eagle full size, metal frame. 9mm. bought new from RTSP. this is a bulls eye shooter. feels like im using a 22. gun is very heavy, but zero recoil and perfect shots. Dealer had to block the mags. im very happy with my purchase.

be careful regarding the available mags. apparently they can hold more than 15 rounds.  Bought a new mag from gunbroker. Advertised as 15 round mag by magnum research. But, it can be forced beyond 15 rounds, so i returned it. I read that EAA witness tangfolio mags are supposed to be a perfect fit. So, i bought an eaa witness 15 round mag clone and it fits perfectly with zero range usage issues. 

don't have a desert eagle, but have another model from the same company. baby eagle full size, metal frame. 9mm. bought new from RTSP. this is a bulls eye shooter. feels like im using a 22. gun is very heavy, but zero recoil and perfect shots. Dealer had to block the mags. im very happy with my purchase.

be careful regarding the available mags. apparently they can hold more than 15 rounds.  Bought a new mag from gunbroker. Advertised as 15 round mag by magnum research. But, it can be forced beyond 15 rounds, so i returned it. I read that EAA witness tangfolio mags are supposed to be a perfect fit. So, i bought an eaa witness 15 round mag clone and it fits perfectly with zero range usage issues. 

have Baby eagle aka Jericho 941 on order,