kingsey

Blue or stainless for a range 1911

I think I've settled in a colt xse full size for my first 1911.

Which holds up better over time?

I've noticed some scratches on the blue in pictures where the slide meets the frame? Does this happen often?

I realize it's mostly personal preference but if anyone have some pictures of there 1911s post them up it will help me decide. 

I have a STI Spartan.  It originally came with a parkerized finish.  After some heavy customization by a buddy of mine, he simply blued it.  So far no issues after a few thousand rounds.  You can always get some touch up to re-blue it.

DSC_1542.jpg

My brother has the Springfield RO.  It is also parkerized but he has not put much rounds thru it.

I would just shoot it.  You can always cerakote it whatever color you want.

As for pictures, I would check out the 1911 thread (http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/45676-show-us-your-1911s/)

I have two stainless ones that I may get NPC or Robar coated.  I don't love the "plain" look of them.  If they aren't holstered you wont get blue wear so I'd go blue.

Id say bluing is prettiest and also can reduce a lil glare depending on the coating. SS is easily the easier one to maintain the same look of. Everyone has accidents and "derp" moments and finishes chip or scratch, it's life. If your lazy about maintaining the gun then SS is safest as it is naturally rust resistant even without a coating. Keyword resistant tho, it can still get rust.