Scorpio64

Rumors of a New Gun Range in Eatontown

I've heard a rumor that a retired cop, or two, will be opening up a range on the Eatontown section of Ft. Monmouth.  The range will be located in an existing facility that the Army used.  So I've heard.  Anyone else heard about this?

It is true. They purchased a nice size portion of the Fort Monmouth base. It will take some time to get up in running. They are in the process of getting the Utilities brought into the base. It basically had it's own power grid and utility processing when it was still in use.

Can you give any more details about the range like number of lanes and distances?

It's been about 10 years since I've been there but IIRC it is 10-12 lanes and 25 yards, handgun only. They also required lead free ammo. I don't know if that was because of the ventilation system or just green policy. There was room there for a small gun store which I imagine would be needed to make it profitable.

I did a little more digging.  The property was a former police and fire training facility that has been broken up into two subdivisions.  The range is on a one acre parcel and the fire training is on almost three.  There are only ten lanes but the buyer plans on expanding the building to add more lanes and a retail area.

Here's a link to a realtor's brochure for the building.

http://www.fortmonmouthredevelopment.com/pdf/FM_Shooting_Range.pdf

Also....  Here's the official FMERA Request for Offers to Purchase.  It alludes to how the state wanted the property to be reused.

http://www.fortmonmouthredevelopment.com/pdf/FMERA_PistolRangeRFOTP.pdf

It is interesting dealing with the FMERA to say the least. My company has done so for the purpose of acquiring former base property for our business and the stipulations put upon us for granting approval was far more than just a typical real estate transaction. Essentially they are trying to revitalise the area in conjunction with disbursing the real estate so even if you have the money to buy plots, you have to propose a highly auspicious and aggressive business plan that will not only benefit your business, but the local economy itself (largely through new job creation) or else face monetary penalties. Not only must you ensure such lofty goals, you're also potentially in competition with the parcels which aren't really being given away either. This is one of the primary reasons why redevelopment of the area is slow: they're very picky.

Kiely Purchasing Fort Monmouth Pistol Range In Tinton Falls

Looks like the Fort Monmouth Economic Revitalization Authority approved a $2.9 million purchase and sale agreement with Kiely for the property at its November meeting.

http://wordontheshore.com/kiely-purchasing-fort-monmouth-pistol-range-in-tinton-falls-cms-4596

2.9 Mil? Wow, did they get bent over the coals! Not only that, but the cost to convert this to public utility served space is going to be high as well.

Im not sure what property but the article said they purchased surrounding property too.

Huh? There are already utilities there, JCP&L. Probably shut off for the most part. The range and adjacent property they are talking about are in the SW corner of the former Charles Wood area of Ft. Monmouth. Pretty much close to the tracks along Pine Brook road.  There's a building with a tan roof. That area was where the Fire dept had training also, there was a tower & fake bldg. There were also fab shops and vehicle repair shops. Its over a slight rise from where Commvault is now, and there's no residential area around it. Always good to see a "new" range

2.9 Mil? Wow, did they get bent over the coals! Not only that, but the cost to convert this to public utility served space is going to be high as well.

We know one of the guys involved in the project at the former DOD range at Fort Monmouth.  He is a top notch guy and when the whole project is done folks are going to have an awesome place to shoot, train and get guns.  Its the perfect location for a range, right in the heart of Monmouth County.

I don't know all the particulars as to time frame, etc,  I do know dealing with the BRAC which is the agency in charge of turning over the fort properties to the Towns and developers  has been one batch of red tape after another (I know your all shocked at a government entity causing delays)......

Sounds like shovels may be in the ground soon.........finally.

This is the most recent article I could find.

Published: November 18, 2015, Word on the Shore.

TINTON FALLS: Kiely Realty Group has agreed to buy the indoor pistol range and surrounding properties in the borough's section of Fort Monmouth.

The Fort Monmouth Economic Revitalization Authority approved a $2.9 million purchase and sale agreement with Kiely for the property at its November meeting.

Kiely was the highest scoring bidder and offered the highest purchase price on the pistol range, the nearby fire and police training area and a 1.5-acre parcel that will serve as an extension of the range.

Kiely, which is based in Long Branch, will develop the properties in phases.

Phase 1 will include the development of the existing range into a "for-profit private entity commercial firearms range offering a shooting and educational experience to the public, government entities and private membership." A 10,000-square-foot addition will be made to the property which will expand the educational and training areas of the range.

The first phase is expected to bring 25 full and part time jobs to the borough by Dec. 31, 2018 and Kiely will be fined for each job that is not created.

For the second phase, Kiely will lease the adjacent 5,000-square-foot structure to certified women business enterprises, Traffic Plan. The company, based in Farmingdale, provides traffic safety solutions to utility companies, municipalities, and private contractors in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Traffic Plan will relocate five management and 60 union employees from Farmingdale to the new headquarters at the fort and could add another 40 once its planned expansion occurs.

Kiely is expected to begin site improvements and renovation work within 45 days of closing on the property and complete construction within two years.

The Range at the Former Fort Monmouth is Moving Forward.  There is a lot of red tape to deal with in former Military property re development. As stated earlier we know the folks involved well and its going to be a top notch place.

Omri