Dr.Jimmy Rustler

Is this muzzle brake NJ Legal?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Compensator-MOD-0-5-56-p/bcm-gfc-mod-0-556.htm

converted co-worker of mine is building a AR and asked me about this. thanks for the input guys

part of me thinks its illegal bc i might be able to get my pinky in the end, could you guys suggest something from BCM? hes probably getting a 14.5" barrel so hes gonna need it pinned from them

Unfortunately, the real answer is: No one knows.

IANAL

It passes the NJSP "pinky" test, it is designed for compensations as its primary function, and other legal muzzle devices have flash suppression in their descriptions. I would lean towards its is legal. But until someone gets locked up and the NJSP makes a determination, no one will know for sure.

Unfortunately, the real answer is: No one knows.

IANAL

It passes the NJSP "pinky" test, it is designed for compensations as its primary function, and other legal muzzle devices have flash suppression in their descriptions. I would lean towards its is legal. But until someone gets locked up and the NJSP makes a determination, no one will know for sure.

IMO.... since NJ does not clearly define flash hiding you run into the following issues.. an AR could have one of those.. and you could live your whole life without a single issue.. OR you could run into some instance where it is questioned by the wrong person.. and they push the issue.. the second that happens you are screwed... not for any other reason than it being an easily proven case... they will simply explain to the court that in NJ you can not have a "flash hider".. they will then read the description.. and how it hides flash.. and your defense at that point is what? it only hides flash a little, at which point they will point out that in NJ it does not say you can hide a little flash.. it says flash hider.. period..  IMO as Checko stated.. not worth the trouble.. there are numerous muzzle devices that are CLEARLY not hiders.. stick with one of those and know you have a reasonable defense if ever in the case to defend...

the risk is not worth the gain..

IMO.... since NJ does not clearly define flash hiding you run into the following issues.. an AR could have one of those.. and you could live your whole life without a single issue.. OR you could run into some instance where it is questioned by the wrong person.. and they push the issue.. the second that happens you are screwed... not for any other reason than it being an easily proven case... they will simply explain to the court that in NJ you can not have a "flash hider".. they will then read the description.. and how it hides flash.. and your defense at that point is what? it only hides flash a little, at which point they will point out that in NJ it does not say you can hide a little flash.. it says flash hider.. period..  IMO as Checko stated.. not worth the trouble.. there are numerous muzzle devices that are CLEARLY not hiders.. stick with one of those and know you have a reasonable defense if ever in the case to defend...

the risk is not worth the gain..

I'll forward this to him. do you guys have any reccomendations for NJ Legal comps sold by BCM?

I happened to have been thinking about this a lot lately. Specifically these hybrid comps. Unfortunately I come to the conclusion I usually do. And that is, in NJ you must always consider you may get a prosecuter that's not gun friendly. So if there is any grey area that can be controverted for evil I advise to steer clear. If you have deep pockets or a law degree by all means procede, you would have my moral support :D

I happened to have been thinking about this a lot lately. Specifically these hybrid comps. Unfortunately I come to the conclusion I usually do. And that is, in NJ you must always consider you may get a prosecuter that's not gun friendly. So if there is any grey area that can be controverted for evil I advise to steer clear. If you have deep pockets or a law degree by all means procede, you would have my moral support :D

forget the prosecutor.. my concern is the jury (I am assuming it would be a jury for AW violation?)

you stand a far greater chance of having a jury sit in front of you that is composed mostly of people that are actively anti gun, OR even if "pro gun" we are talking "pro shotgun and hunting rifle".. as your evil baby killing military death machine is paraded around court.. I was friends with many from NJ that would be terrified of a NJ LEGAL AR.. wondering why I needed "military grade weapons".. good lawyer or not.. those people are unlikely to save your ass..

I completely agree with you! You get the wrong person looking your rifle in a scrutinizing way and you are in trouble "until you can prove you are innocent"...

Tack Tickle, Im not saying the position isn't defendable, but the point is to not end up with the risk of having to legally defend your position, post indictment!

I have this compensator.

Edit: "the Battle Comp 1.5"

Gunsmith immediately uses the NJ pinkie test.

He then asks for paperwork clearly saying, "This is not a flash hider. No paperwork, no job.

The second smith, contacts his police contacts leaning on the no go side.

In the end, the 2nd smith threads, permanently pins and cuts cone from the end of "compensator."

Only in NJ.

c672cd241382ecc39773834efd68fbfc.jpgc8c0c3b25f89a91af06894b0118bd7ac.jpg

Can you post a pic of what you were left with?

I have this compensator.Gunsmith immediately uses the NJ pinkie test.The first gunsmith asked for paperwork clearly saying, " This is not a flash hider. No paperwork, no job.The second smith, contacts his police contacts leaning on the no go side.In the end, 2nd smith threads, permanently pins and cuts cone from end of "compensator." Only in NJ.

I have this compensator.

Gunsmith immediately uses the NJ pinkie test.

The first gunsmith asked for paperwork clearly saying, " This is not a flash hider. No paperwork, no job.

The second smith, contacts his police contacts leaning on the no go side.

In the end, 2nd smith threads, permanently pins and cuts cone from end of "compensator." Only in NJ.

can you refer me to the part of the AW ban wording that refers to the pinky test.. I am having some trouble finding it.

I would have no issues installing a BC 1.5 as is. In my opinion it indeed passes the "pinky test". The people you talked to seem to me to lack understanding of the subject matter. The extension is not for flash, its to make length for 14.5" barrels. I hope your barrel isn't 14.5 because the smith will then have made it an NFA weapon.

I completely agree with you! You get the wrong person looking your rifle in a scrutinizing way and you are in trouble "until you can prove you are innocent"...

You can call me a wimp, but I will not put anything but a target crown on a black rifle.  I do not want to ever be in the position of having to prove that a compensator is not a flash hider.

Also, I consider it rude to shoot a compensated gun, even a .223/5.56, if anyone is next to you at the range.

You can call me a wimp, but I will not put anything but a target crown on a black rifle. I do not want to ever be in the position of having to prove that a compensator is not a flash hider.

Also, I consider it rude to shoot a compensated gun, even a .223/5.56, if anyone is next to you at the range.

Wimp