High Exposure

Mini 14 options

This is supposed to fit ranch and standard models: http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/mini-14-scout-mount-sku100000960-17396-41528.aspx

You could get an RDS on there and a light in a HSP Thorntail.

GG&G has this: http://www.gggaz.com/ruger-mini-14-ranch-rifle-scope-mounts.html

But that wouldn't help you get a light mounted.

Ok, so this is what I did. Thanks Ty!

6EB56294-9D11-4A7F-8D07-15954C085140_zps

I am pleased so far. Optic is in a good spot, balances well and points fast. The light setup mimics my ARs so switchology is consistent. Still sussing out a sling setup but I have a few ideas.

Only complaint so far is the wood gets slick with sweaty hands. I am looking at some skateboard tape to solve that issue.

Serious.

We issued these out in the 80s to supplement the MP5s and we have four minis left in our armory. They are not typically issued, however I drew one from the armory, and qualified with it, specifically to participate in this class.

Looks good, I'm digging it. Nice job modernizing it for your intended purpose. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for these rifles, probably why I own so many of them. You should really consider a barrel strut. It greatly improved my grouping when I added one.

When I had my mini 14 I put the Hogue Stock on it. What a difference in grip. Super easy to do.

C5A87279-58A2-4325-B9DA-6087C2AA0A1D-536

Damn your black heart..... How hard was doing this? Yours looks sharp as hell and I have a line on a brand new Hogue stock for ~ $50.

I figure I can always buy myself a mini down the line or I can sell the parts and make most of my $$ back....

Ok, final iteration:

49F0AABA-F6D0-4915-986A-A9E2B7712518_zps

I kinda like it.

Doesn't point as well as an AR for me, but I don't know if that is inherent to the platform or just my unfamiliarity with the rifle.

Shoots well, ergos are meh. Manual of arms is acceptable but I need to work on malfunction reduction.

My biggest complaint is the safety. It is atrociously placed and based in 1930's TTPs. Seeing the same safety as designed for a US Rifle, .30 Caliber, M1 on a "modern" rifle is mind boggling. We have learned a lot about gunfighting, manipulations, and safety in the last 80 years. Why this has persisted is beyond me.

I have access to 2 stock mini-14s so I am not buying a new version - I just want to put a RDS (either an Aimpoint PRO or Insight MRDS), a light, and rig a sling. I have seen a ways to do this but mostly with junky gear from a cheaper than dirt catalog. Looking for better ideas and don't want to reinvent the wheel. I am hoping someone has researched this stuff already.

No, I didn't lose a bet :D

Didn't you hear? They are the new hotness :rofl:

...I always thought they were awesome...

Only reason I got an AR was because everyone on NJGF said it would be better than a mini14, and I couldn't find a good deal on a mini at the time. I've always sort of regretted it, though I doubt I'll ever sell/trade the AR.

I wish that NJ Police Departments sold off old stock to the public, I'd love to get a deal on a Mini.

Just wondering, are you taking the course with the Mini just for shits and giggles, or is there a reason you decided to use it over an AR?

I would choose an AR over the Mini all day long. This is for a "proof of concept" type thing.

There is a very large PD that has a few thousand Minis sitting in the armory for close to 15 years. They are thinking about issuing them to certain units to supplement a response to a Paris, Mumbai, Oslo, or Beslan type attack.

There is a question over whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze - issue a sub-optimal platform or sell them and buy something better. The class will also compare times, accuracy, and ability to manipulate the weapon when compared to 20 other shooters with ARs, including myself using times and scores recorded by the instructor in other classes I attended.

It is a sample of one, but it's a place to start and satisfy some personal curiosity.

I would choose an AR over the Mini all day long. This is for a "proof of concept" type thing.

There is a very large PD that has a few thousand Minis sitting in the armory for close to 15 years. They are thinking about issuing them to certain units to supplement a response to a Paris, Mumbai, Oslo, or Beslan type attack.

There is a question over whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze - issue a sub-optimal platform or sell them and buy something better. The class will also compare times, accuracy, and ability to manipulate the weapon when compared to 20 other shooters with ARs, including myself using times and scores recorded by the instructor in other classes I attended.

It is a sample of one, but it's a place to start and satisfy some personal curiosity.

You say they'd want to sell them, and that they have a few THOUSAND Minis? Where would they sell them? And if they'd be sold for a good price, somewhere I might be able to get one, would you "Take a Dive"? lol.

Overall, I really want to get my hands on one. I heard some PA gunshow they were selling them $300 or so each. I'm never lucky enough to actually have money when such deals are around, otherwise I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I know the platform gets a lot of crap, I'm interested in getting one to try it out, and see if it's as bad as people say, as I very much doubt that it's that bad. I've seen a few people  hit a melon-sized target at 400 yds with a mini14 (or maybe it was a Mini30?) Either way, there's something about the platform I find appealing. Probably has to do with my love affair with the M14.

Wow.  I wonder if they are select-fire AC-556 Minis registered and papered on a Form 4.  If so, that PD is sitting on a few million $ worth of transferrable machine guns @ $8K per pop.

I would like to install a factory Ruger made muzzle brake from a new Mini-14 Tactical onto my older 196 series Mini Ranch.  I purchased the (claimed Ruger OEM) part un-used.   The plan was to turn down the threads on the muzzle break ID then press fit and weld or pin in place to the stainless barrel.

My local shop agreed to do the work then called and said the muzzle break is really a flash hider and not legal in NJ.  He is a good guy/gun smith so and I did not press forward as it is not worth the risk to either of us.

Not having it is really not a big deal but now I am curious as to the lagality and the proper application of the law in NJ.  I did some research online and undersand the barrel threading issue (which we overcame).  However, the muzzle break/flash suppressor issue is a litte murky.

This supposed Ruger OEM break is only lightly largr than that bore for the first part that threads (or slides in this case) over the barrel end but does open up to about .3750 ID through the caged length.  I can't fit my pinky finger inside the cage bored portion.

I suppose confirming the muzzle break is indeed a Ruger OEM part is the first step.  I am reasonably sure the Mini Tactical is legal in NJ and that sports the same break.

If anyone can add input for clarity (or for my own education) it would certainly be appreciated.

I would like to install a factory Ruger made muzzle brake from a new Mini-14 Tactical onto my older 196 series Mini Ranch. I purchased the (claimed Ruger OEM) part un-used. The plan was to turn down the threads on the muzzle break ID then press fit and weld or pin in place to the stainless barrel.

My local shop agreed to do the work then called and said the muzzle break is really a flash hider and not legal in NJ. He is a good guy/gun smith so and I did not press forward as it is not worth the risk to either of us.

Not having it is really not a big deal but now I am curious as to the lagality and the proper application of the law in NJ. I did some research online and undersand the barrel threading issue (which we overcame). However, the muzzle break/flash suppressor issue is a litte murky.

This supposed Ruger OEM break is only lightly largr than that bore for the first part that threads (or slides in this case) over the barrel end but does open up to about .3750 ID through the caged length. I can't fit my pinky finger inside the cage bored portion.

I suppose confirming the muzzle break is indeed a Ruger OEM part is the first step. I am reasonably sure the Mini Tactical is legal in NJ and that sports the same break.

If anyone can add input for clarity (or for my own education) it would certainly be appreciated.

I have a mini tactical, mine has a pinned and welded brake. it came with from the Gun shop I bought it from, along with 2 15 round mags that are rivited. The one on my gun is definitely not a flash hider. It's a brake/compensator.

I would like to install a factory Ruger made muzzle brake from a new Mini-14 Tactical onto my older 196 series Mini Ranch.  I purchased the (claimed Ruger OEM) part un-used.   The plan was to turn down the threads on the muzzle break ID then press fit and weld or pin in place to the stainless barrel.

My local shop agreed to do the work then called and said the muzzle break is really a flash hider and not legal in NJ.  He is a good guy/gun smith so and I did not press forward as it is not worth the risk to either of us.

Not having it is really not a big deal but now I am curious as to the lagality and the proper application of the law in NJ.  I did some research online and undersand the barrel threading issue (which we overcame).  However, the muzzle break/flash suppressor issue is a litte murky.

This supposed Ruger OEM break is only lightly largr than that bore for the first part that threads (or slides in this case) over the barrel end but does open up to about .3750 ID through the caged length.  I can't fit my pinky finger inside the cage bored portion.

I suppose confirming the muzzle break is indeed a Ruger OEM part is the first step.  I am reasonably sure the Mini Tactical is legal in NJ and that sports the same break.

Why can't you put a flash hider on your rifle? Does it have a bayonet mount?

Why can't you put a flash hider on your rifle? Does it have a bayonet mount?

The tactical model has a pistol grip.

7af9541861535962b8dac1eb96748d28.jpg

Nevermind he said he has a ranch model I read that wrong. No reason a flash hider would be illegal on a ranch rifle. Only one evil feature is the detachable mag.

Sorry to necropost on this thread, but I just got a Mini 14, and was reading through this.  Curious how HE made out with his class.  The Mini 14 shoots nicely, but I find mag changes to be a bit trickier than for an AR or AK.  Not sure how that would work out in a tactical situation.

I just ordered an inexpensive Nikon scope for it, and am looking to make it my first scoped rifle.  It will be nice to actually see the target at 100, 200 yards and beyond, instead of just seeing a black dot off in the distance with my old eyes and an RDS.  :B:):

5 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Sorry to necropost on this thread, but I just got a Mini 14, and was reading through this.  Curious how HE made out with his class.  The Mini 14 shoots nicely, but I find mag changes to be a bit trickier than for an AR or AK.  Not sure how that would work out in a tactical situation.

I just ordered an inexpensive Nikon scope for it, and am looking to make it my first scoped rifle.  It will be nice to actually see the target at 100, 200 yards and beyond, instead of just seeing a black dot off in the distance with my old eyes and an RDS.  :B:):

My Mini-14 is one of my favorite guns to bring to the range.   It's definitely NOT a precision shooter by any means, but it cycles everything I've put through it and has been a breeze to maintain.  It's pictured on the left here with an inexpensive Bushnell Dropzone 223 Scope:

1vv5947l.jpg

Have fun!