Krdshrk

Magpul AK Handguard/Stock

Here's a better shot of the handguard. I really like it. I wonder how much lighter it is then say an MI extended.

The moe stock though at least from the vide seems a little low to the bore then say putting an FCS or other magpul stock on a RD adapter

post-6543-0-72006700-1421544459_thumb.jpg

So far I'm digging the Zhukov handguard. Since this was a converted Saiga, I had no retaining clip to remove/cut so installation was a breeze. The heat shield under the handguard first gets clamped onto the barrel, then you slip the handguard over that. There is absolutely no wiggle at all which I love. Feels great and goes with the rest of the look I was looking for.

The only problem I have now is that I want to get another AK so I can leave that with the traditional furniture.

image.jpg1_zps9xjzceys.jpg
image.jpg3_zps6ev6clav.jpg
image.jpg5_zpswgvwms2m.jpg
image.jpg1_zpstpgqvxtu.jpg
image.jpg4_zps0zqlgctd.jpg

That looks pretty sweet!  I need to convert my Saiga... I think I'd go for the MOE one though, not the Zhukov...

Makes the conversion easy! No need to file a notch for the handguard retainer as they dont use the handguard retainer unless you get the shorter handguard.

I havnt filed the notch in my barrel yet for the retainer, but my new gas block is pinned in place already. donno what to do!

Makes the conversion easy! No need to file a notch for the handguard retainer as they dont use the handguard retainer unless you get the shorter handguard.

I havnt filed the notch in my barrel yet for the retainer, but my new gas block is pinned in place already. donno what to do!

So then it's easier to use the Zhukov one, not the MOE?  Score.  I'll get that one then.

The MOE handguard uses the stock handguard retaining clip as a mounting point. I believe they have 2x flavors of the MOE handguard. One with a knotch cut out so that you can keep the sling loop and one without the knotch cut out in case you want to cut the sling loop (but keep the rest of the retaining clip).

To install the Zhukov handguard, you have to completely remove the handguard retaining clip.

This is why the Zhukov is a good option for people who have Saigas since unless they did a full (correct) conversion which includes a retaining clip, they won't have a retaining clip to deal with at all.

This is why the Zhukov is a good option for people who have Saigas since unless they did a full (correct) conversion which includes a retaining clip, they won't have a retaining clip to deal with at all.

That's exactly the info I was looking for.  Zhukov it is!

Now I gotta wait to find it in stock... I kinda want it in Plum... and the stock too..

will the zhukov work on the M77?

I think the main issue you'll have to deal with mounting the zhukov is the diameter of the barrel. Magpul says "Mounts to most AK-47/AKM/AK-74 rifles with barrel diameters between 17-18mm and greater than 13" in length". if your rifle meets that criteria, the other fitment issues you might encounter could probably be dealt with by trimming the polymer to fit the receiver, etc. I believe someone already mounted it on a Saiga 12 by getting longer screws for the clamps and trimming the plastic in some spots.

I think the main issue you'll have to deal with mounting the zhukov is the diameter of the barrel. Magpul says "Mounts to most AK-47/AKM/AK-74 rifles with barrel diameters between 17-18mm and greater than 13" in length". if your rifle meets that criteria, the other fitment issues you might encounter could probably be dealt with by trimming the polymer to fit the receiver, etc. I believe someone already mounted it on a Saiga 12 by getting longer screws for the clamps and trimming the plastic in some spots.

Yeah, i will have to cut off the retaining clip. Im worried about the barrel diameter and the length of the upper guard since the m77 has a longer forearm than standard. Barrel length im not worried about since its an 18" barrel. My gun is at backwoods right now. I'll have to measure everything when i get it back.

Had a whole thing written out hen I lost it.

What I wanted to say was... Just MAKE it fit! As long as you can get the metal sleeve properly secured to the barrel by either getting longer screws or by modifying the barrel clamps, if there is anything else preventing the polymer handguard from slipping on you can just trim the plastic.

Here's a Zhukov handguard on a Vepr - http://imgur.com/a/men4r

Q2VGMqM.jpg

Had a whole thing written out hen I lost it.

What I wanted to say was... Just MAKE it fit! As long as you can get the metal sleeve properly secured to the barrel by either getting longer screws or by modifying the barrel clamps, if there is anything else preventing the polymer handguard from slipping on you can just trim the plastic.

Here's a Zhukov handguard on a Vepr - http://imgur.com/a/men4r

Q2VGMqM.jpg

I think the biggest problem is the upper handguard.  From what I have heard the yugos have a longer upper handguard then the standard AK platform

You can always just use the stock upper hand guard with the Zhukov lower hand guard. Or, just get an Ultimak and scrap the upper all together.

That's what I did, the lower handguard fit with a few minor modifications and I didn't have to cut of the handguard retainer.  I put up another post with pics.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/76930-finally-got-my-pap-m77-perfect/