boo

S&W Bodyguard .380 vs Sig Sauer P238

Which do you recommend? I already have an M&P Shield 9mm, but want to add a true pocket gun to the mix. I plan to rent a Bodyguard at GFH today, but would be buying the P238 blind. Factors that have led me two these two:

1. Bodyguard seems popular, and a true pocket carry option. Also I'd probably want to get one with the laser just for the novelty (I don't see myself actually messing around with the laser if I needed to use if for a self defense situation). Can be had comparatively cheaper, maybe $300, and I'd likely be buying 2nd hand. Drawback seems to be harsh recoil. I recall someone comparing it to high-fiving a sledge hammer. Not that I'm going to be using it as a range toy, but I'd want to shoot a few hundred rounds in the first few weeks just to get acquainted, and at least a few mags on a monthly basis afterwards and I gather it won't be fun.

2. I get the sense from reviews that the P238 shoots like a full size gun with better (night) sights. But presents the drawback of being larger, heavier, and more expensive (I see it at $470 at PSA). Also, I understand it has a 1911 style manual of arms that I'm not accustomed to. Again, I haven't handled one yet, but given the lower recoil and SA trigger, I'm guessing I'm going to be more accurate with it, not to mention will be willing to shoot it more. I did think about the P938 and would really prefer a 9mm, but I'm taking that out of consideration due to 1) larger gun, 2) reviews indicating harsher recoil

Any thoughts?

I haven't fired a 380 in a long time, but I don't recall it being harsh. I found it like a toy cap gun with no recall. As for your choice, personal preference. I myself am in the market for a Sig 938 Extreme. The 238 and 938 are practically the same size. I consider them both pocket guns. Also prefer a 9mm to keep in line with current ammo owned as to not traverse into another caliber I do not own. IMHO... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got back from GFH. Bodyguard was missing, being serviced or something. So I tried out the Ruger LCP for the heck of it and I liked it a lot! I was expecting 357mag-like recoil, but it was nowhere close. Felt fairly good in my hand. My only nitpick is that the slide didn't lock back on empty and but it could have just been the gun. I guess I'm going to pick between the Bodyguard and LCP now. P238 is probably more than I need to spend when I think one of the other two will serve my purposes just fine.

edit: I just dryfired a Bodyguard and I hate hate hate it. Super long and really heavy trigger pull compared to the LCP. I suppose the combination of that along with the external safety means a pretty low chance of NDs, but I doubt I could hit a threat unless they were right on top of me (yes, I realize that's its intended purpose), and just based on the trigger I don't see myself spending much time shooting it.

A pocket gun isn't meant to be fired at distance. I'd say 2 to 4 yards max. Maybe 5 yards but now you're pushing what it's role is. I have a bodyguard and I tested both it and the lcp with live ammo before buying. I hated the lcp personally. I think the bg is a great gun for a pocket gun.

Any pocket gun is going to recoil sharply. 380 especially. You have a very short distance in which the slide moves backwards. The recoil has to go somewhere.

I ended up going wth the LCP because 1) cheaper 2) extremely light and pocketable. I didn't bother trying out the P238 or Glock 42, because I was already happy witht he LCP and I was afraid I'd enjoy them more and end up paying the $100-$200 premium. I figure ignorance is bliss, lol. If I end up moving (which is a possibility this year), then I'll start vetting the 380 category a little more thoroughly. I didn't originally want a laser, but I picked up one from CDNN with the viridian laser because it was so cheap. It also has a magnet activiated power switch that turns on as soon as you draw from the holster. In case anyone is interested, PSA has the LCP in FDE for only $240.

A pocket gun isn't meant to be fired at distance. I'd say 2 to 4 yards max. Maybe 5 yards but now you're pushing what it's role is. I have a bodyguard and I tested both it and the lcp with live ammo before buying. I hated the lcp personally. I think the bg is a great gun for a pocket gun.

Any pocket gun is going to recoil sharply. 380 especially. You have a very short distance in which the slide moves backwards. The recoil has to go somewhere.

Finally someone else agrees that the 380 is snappy...