Llama

Pulled Over by Police - Legal Firearm in Car, Standard Procedure?

You never consent to a search, if the police do have probable cause there not going to ask your permission to search.

A getaway vehicle call, it will be a felony type stop so you will be proned and cuffed for security FIRST

Eg: you take me to the range and I accidently drop a few shells out of my bag on to your car floor maybe just some empty brass.

Now you go thru DC and you get stopped.

Mr.XXX,can I search your vehicle?

Yes, go right ahead officer.

MrXXX what are these empty casings and ammunition?

Don't know officer or how they got there
Well buddy, I guess we`ll meet up in about 10 years ,right after you get out of the DC jail for possession of ammunition that I accidently left in your back seat.

Nappen says don't say anything...i'll listen to his advice.

And as a lawyer, he's probably thinking about the outcome of any legal proceeding -- and that he'll have an easier time getting off a client who did not assist the prosecution by speaking with the police.

On the other hand, saying nothing could lead to being arrested, and dying in custody.  Jails are dangerous places, and depending on your stress level and co-morbidities bad things could happen.

Be cool, be calm, speak naturally, and volunteer little to no information.  My opener is often "Good evening officer, how fast was I going?" when I'm pulled over for speeding.....

It's not admitting anything specific, yet it acknowledges that I'm aware that I might have been exceeding the limit.  Then again, I usually notice police running radar, and if I see their wheels start to turn in the mirror, or see them pull out after me, I pull over at the first safe location.  Sometimes they pull in behind me, occasionally they blow past me going elsewhere.  When we do have the conversation it's about 50/50 whether I get a ticket or a warning.

Just sound like a citizen, not like someone who's being evasive.....

Be cool, be calm, speak naturally, and volunteer little to no information.  My opener is often "Good evening officer, how fast was I going?" when I'm pulled over for speeding.....

Side note, don't ever admit to speeding.  Easiest ticket to get out of if you do not admit to it on camera/microphone.  Most speeding tickets get downgraded to failure to wear seatbelt/obstruction of view if the driver is respectful. 

Most get downgraded to obstructing traffic here. A downgrade has to be in the realm of what happened. You can't get a downgrade to a seatbelt ticket unless you were issues a seatbelt ticket (the court can merge the tickets) or it is documented that you were given a warning for not wearing a seatbelt.

It doesn't matter if you admit to speeding or not. The downgrade is because the officer/prosecutor agrees to downgrade it. You aren't getting out if it, you are getting a break.

Nappen even said it's legal to carry an unloaded long arm with a FPID card.

People still end up getting detained for being within the law. Getting arrested vs. being guilty of a crime are 2 separate things. 

Nappen even said it's legal to carry an unloaded long arm with a FPID card.

It's legal to carry a handgun in New Jersey. You just have to meet a different exception than the FPID provides.

My understanding is that firearm possession is illegal by default in NJ.

I am not totally positive on this but a person who goes to prison in NJ is assigned a SBI number and police have access to info pertaining to that person. Did you know that when you get an FID that you are assigned an SBI number? I assume they are the same thing. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I hope I am.

I am not totally positive on this but a person who goes to prison in NJ is assigned a SBI number and police have access to info pertaining to that person. Did you know that when you get an FID that you are assigned an SBI number? I assume they are the same thing. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I hope I am.

Just took a look at of my shiny new P2P's I got in the mail today.Took 10 whole days this time!  It lists an SBI# which is my FPID card #. So no doubt about it!!!

Is lying to a cop a crime in NJ?

I don't know if it's technically a crime. However, if you get to trial the prosecutor will mention the lie for purposes of discrediting any other testimony you may give and to portray you as a bad guy. See this video. As I've posted many times it's better simply to shut up.