Sign in to follow this  
Jim Norman

January 3-Gun, Old Bridge

How many AR mags one would normally need for such a match? (i.e. what's the round count for a rifle for a particular stage?).

I have enough gear for my pistol as I shoot USPSA regularly, but I've never even seen 3gun, let alone participated in it... :-)

or learn to give up on targets you can't hit.

Very sage advice.

I blew one stage last year trying to hit clay birds with the AR when I should have just engaged the targets with the requisite number of shots and then went to the knock down steel.  Instead, I timed out, zero'd the stage, didn't hit a damn clay bird, and missed all the fun of the knockdown steel.

Lesson learned. 

Do NOT use a slug barrel, you will end up messing up everyone of your birdshot shots. Do you want to sacrifice every 80 or so bird shots for the sake of 10 slugs when they are worth the same point value? Slugs work fine from smoothbores if you know where they shoot.

it is a smooth bore slug barrel..

I have had this shotgun since i was 15 that makes it 34 years old..Only rifled barrel at the time were high end after market.

my other barrel is modified choke.. Which i would rather not shoot a slug through but can if i use a slug that is encased in a wad.

Just dug out my modified barrel ill go ahead and use this one.  

i have not used this barrel since i was about 25 when i purchased my 1100..  Old salt this was my duck hunting gun before the 1100..

The 500 was an upgrade from my H&R 12 ga single barrel.. I shot alot of black ducks with that H&R medow hopping.. 

So I don't really know what a non-rifled slug barrel is I guess.

Anyway, I shoot slugs through my IM choke in my 11-87 without any issues, you are not going to hurt the gun shooting a modified choke, specially if you are not shooting magnum slugs or anything goofy. You want the lightest shooting slugs that will cycle your gun.

The higher constriction chokes will most likely make your slug accuracy go to crap, but in my case IM was the more accurate one.  The most common chokes for 3gun are going to be IC and LM, somtimes M and IM. If your "slug" smooth bore is a somewhere in IC/LM range you should be golden. If it is just cylinder, expect some some issues knocking down certain targets with bird shot. The Modified barrel should be just fine.

here it is smooth bore im thinking it is cyl choke ill measure it.. 23.5 inches long rifle sights..

I just ordered a new stock for it i had cut the pistol grip off this one a local game warden at the time was giving me a hard time about it..

Edit : just measured it .729 so it is cyl bore..

smoothborbarrel001_zps15cdc9e4.jpg

smoothborbarrel003_zpsc100ba4d.jpg

you guy's are going to love this..when was the last time you purchased a 5 pak of rifled slugs for 1.39...

I have 4 rifled slugs and two 5 paks of sabot slugs that ideally should be fired out of a rifled barrel or choke.

002_zps04316886.jpg

001_zps0dd74acc.jpg

Yeah. Really dont sweat it too much. Youll learn as you go. Theres time in between stages if you really need to change chokes. Youll be ok. Just go to enjoy it and have a good time. Unless you really need to win the prize purse its not a qualifier. Just take it slow and learn as you go. Safety is number one priority. Youll see Chilllll

There are only two ways to win at this match.

1) WIn overall being the best of the best

2) Dunb luck: Divisions will be split into three groups, so you might shoot just good enough or bad enough to win. This is NOT a National Championship. It is a match where we can play with our toys and have fun with our friends.