iRescue

I got the clay bug...help me!

Went out skeet shooting for my first time this weekend....its like I fell in love with shooting all over again.

All I had was my Remington 870 Tactical with magpul furniture. I shot a 17 and 19!!

I shot a few birds from 3 station with a guy's benelli semi auto and instantly wanted one.

My upcoming wedding has my gun budget in the dumps. I figure I can spend about 600 tops for a new gun right now. Maybe by mid spring I can drop about double that.

I would love an auto loader but I think that's out of the question.

So - do I buy a used over under, or get a nice pump like a super nova and save up for my dream gun (Super Black Eagle 2 or Super Vinci)

My Remington has ghost ring sights on it so a long barrel is out unless I take off the ghost ring rail.

Help! :mellow:

You can get a brand new 870 with a 28" Vent Rib barrel in your price range. That's what I used as for clays for a while until I got my 11-87.

Or I'm sure you can find a used 1100, 1187 in that price range as well. Or a Stevens 555 Over Under (made by Savage)... they're all good choices.

I've done trap shooting with an 18" barrel, the 28" is a godsend compared to it. 

You can get a 24/26/28" supernova for under that budget.  I love my Supernova...I plan to get a second in 24" (I have the 18" open rifle pistol gripped model now).  I've found that $600ish is at the bottom of the decent-ish O/Us, and not sure about semis, though I've seen some used semis for under your budget.

but...

I'd decide if I wanted a pump, semi, or O/U before making any purchase.  It's not like you cannot use your 870 for the time being...and if you spend $600 now, then you might be having to wait a bit longer to get the gun your heart is really set on (though I'm not one to talk, since I have zero impulse control).

Come out to one of the informal clay shoots (there's one this weekened, IIRC) and try out a bunch of guns, $100 shotguns to $2500+ shotguns often make appearances.  Might help you narrow down your choices...

Or, keep an eye on here and the facebook page. A guy posted a WTB and it was responded to. He never got back to a seller so I grabbed an O/U for a good price. I haven't shot it yet but am hoping to shortly as I have a bit of a clay bug too.

Good luck.

C

If you SERIOUSLY have the clay bug then drop the coin on a decent auto or an OU. Don't spend money on a pump. Like I said if you are really into it you will very quickly want better and better guns and you will say "why did I buy a pump?"

This is not to say you can't bust clays with a pump! I'm just saying if you really are into it you will outgrow the pump quickly.

I went from Moss 500 to 391 auto the first year. And then over under the next year. All bought pre-owned.

If you SERIOUSLY have the clay bug then drop the coin on a decent auto or an OU. Don't spend money on a pump. Like I said if you are really into it you will very quickly want better and better guns and you will say "why did I buy a pump?"

This is not to say you can't bust clays with a pump! I'm just saying if you really are into it you will outgrow the pump quickly.

I went from Moss 500 to 391 auto the first year. And then over under the next year. All bought pre-owned.

I can't agree more... earlier this year is when I really got bit... bought an 870 with a 28" barrel and shot a dozen or more rounds. I just got a good deal on an 1187 for Black Friday and jumped on it. My 870 barely gets touched anymore. Well, not for clays.

I am leaning toward getting a long barrel for the 870... But its hard to resist the Italian American song of the Beretta A300...any thoughts?

Also anyone have tips for beginner clay shooter? Might have to make a trip to the informal shoot.

I just picked up a used Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard. It's very choice. 26" barrel. I'm a Beretta fan now.

As for tips....PULL!

I'll take the under at 6 months you get a 686. But winter. Hmmmm. Maybe 9 months. Stay away from the classifieds on Shotgun World.

Start learning about differences between Sporting vs Field and then you're really doomed

I just picked up a used Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard. It's very choice. 26" barrel. I'm a Beretta fan now.

As for tips....PULL!

Come to the shootout this Sunday, I have a silver pigeon 686 Special. you can try. Guaranteed, you shoot it and you'll be trolling gun broker for one lol...

f8b45efc14509143256548aa9bdf530a.jpg

Personally I've already been tempted to buy a 686 Silver Pigeon... But I bought a Mossberg Silver Reserve instead - 1/4 the price... though if I'm super hooked, I might sell the Mossberg and my 11-87 to fund a 686... lol.

I have a silver reserve trap model also. No comparison imo. I will bring both on Sunday. You can decide for yourself.

Yeah - I remember you had yours with you a couple months ago...

You have a SR 1 Sporting, I have a SR 2 Field...

Correctamundo, I remember too. The sporting model hits a little softer than the field, otherwise pretty much the same gun.

But the 686 is like going from a 1985 Camaro to a 2014 Z06. You'll feel it when you hold and shoot it.

The 686 is a nice choice. The Sporting config versions are a tad heavier than the field versions and also may sport a non-automatic safety. The newer ones will have overbored barrels and the Optima choke tube system. Beretta is notorious for making subtle design or aesthetic changes each year to their 686/687/682 line for the last twenty-five years.

What can that do a 2k over and under can't do... It's the Indian not the arrow...unless you have a good amount of money to spend at will .

With a gun like that you become the most popular guy in the clubhouse between rounds.

With a gun like that you become the most popular guy in the clubhouse between rounds.

I'm sure the owner would be when they are beat buy a $300 mossberg...(yes I went there), and I doubt they would let everyone finger fondle it...lol....

Just my 2 cents.

I was in the same position about 2 years ago.

Started with a Mossberg 500

got the clay bug (trap in Fairfield and sporting clays in Lehigh Valley)

Sure it is the shooter not the gun in general, but you want a gun that is at least minimally designed for the task at hand.

A Mossberg is definitely not a clays gun. The recoil will beat the hell out of your shoulder. Also trying to shoot 2, fast is a real pain. After 100-200 rounds you will regret it.

I bought a Beretta 391, which is a great gun. Soft, accurate and smooth. You may never want to buy another.

If you can afford one new, great, if not buy used. replacement parts are readily available. I can not over recommend this gun.

The only issue was that my son got the bug as well. He now uses the 391 and I bought a Beretta 686 SP1. Which is also a fabulous gun, that at about $2K it is expensive. Had to really sweet talk my wife. Father, son bonding and all that.

First of all buy quality. With clays you shoot a lot. Cheap guns will not last.

Also make sure you buy a clays gun, not a field gun, different setup, different feel

Start with the 391, you may never want an O/U,  It will last forever.

Also get a shell catcher so that shells do not fly all over the place - http://www.tandsshellcatcher.com/

But if you do want a O/U look at Beretta 686 or Browning 425, they are both great guns and will last forever

Also for clays, do not get shorter than 30 inch, in a O/U maybe even 32.

Enjoy.