wink-_-wink

Other peoples guns at the range

So a week or two ago, myself and a buddy who frequent the range together got the chance to shoot a gun that neither of us had planned to.  We were shooting next to a guy who was shooting a Remington 2020.  He had just bought the entire kit and it was the first time he was gtting to shoot it.  This thing was AWESOME!  Right out of the box at 101 yards (thanks the built in laser range finger) it was dead on.  He allowed me and my buddy to take a shot with it and MAN was it sweet!!!!  Maybe I just got over excited about shooting at that distance with an optic system I have never used but man it was awesome.  So what is your policy.  Would you let the person in the next lane take a shot with one of your weapons if they showed interest?  What would be off limits?  I sure am glad that guy let us because I don't think I will be purchasing a gun that expensive anywhere in my near future.

This is waht we shot:

rifle_700_S_per.png

My view has always been to offer a couple rounds if someone shows interest, because that:

A.) is the right thing to do

B.) has been what most others have offered me

Even if they don't want to shoot it, people do like fondling guns, and I'm always ok with that, too.

That said, I don't have anything that "expensive" to own or to shoot...

My view has always been to offer a couple rounds if someone shows interest, because that:

Even if they don't want to shoot it, people do like fondling guns, and I'm always ok with that, too.

This, I have no problem letting people fondle/shoot my stuff at the range. I feel like shooting on a private range insulates you a little bit from idiots. Anything long gun is fair game bc those guns/optics are all built to take a beating even if they are expensive.

I did wince when a guy dropped my 16s but there werent any marks so no harm no foul.

Expensive pistols Im more careful about. If you arent close to me personally anything north of 1k isnt going into your hand. Not gona ruin the finish on a collectable bc a stranger drops it on concrete.

+1

I have no probs letting others shoot my stuff...If they show an interest I'll always ask them if they want to try it out. On the flip side, I'll never be forward and ask to shoot someone's firearm(s)...I always wait for them to offer. Although, when a couple of LEO's came into the range with a few full auto, fully suppressed MP5's, you bet your ass I asked lol.

It depends on the person and situation. Gotta have a good gut feeling. A prime example was about 2 years ago when I was at the range with a few Enfields. There was an old man there teaching his grandson how to shoot, and he had a slight British accent. I noticed he kept looking over at my table with interest. I offered to let him try the old .303's and started talking about how to operate the. He cut me off halfway through my speech and said "I could teach you a few things about this rifle. I carried one on Sword beach, June 6 1944." We ended up talking for hours and actually becoming friends. Now I have encountered some absolutely rediculous mall ninjas that are even happy to hit paper. Those types I am not going to waste ammo on.

I usually let other people try out my guns at the range, but like others have mentioned it's a no-go if I get a bad vibe or if the person is just flat out obnoxious or rude about it (very very rare)... 

A few weeks ago I had the great opportunity to shoot a 50 beowulf thanks to a very a gracious shooter in the next port.  The blast was insane and I just looked over with a huge smile and next thing I know he setup his rifle and let me blast away (our time was almost up so it was only 3 or 4 rounds).  Holy hell that thing kicked like a mule...  and at $3-4 a shot (he only had expensive HP ammo) it was an extremely kind gesture so of course I offered my AR and SKS to shoot whatever ammo I had left.

This type of thing happens every 2 or 3 times I manage to get to the range and it's pretty awesome to shoot a variety of guns I'd otherwise never get to shoot.

I usually offer to let the RSO's shoot whatever I brought if they show any interest.  Once in a while a shooter next to me will start a conversation, then depending on how it goes I may offer.

I usually get taken up on the offer when it's a .44mag.   Everything else depends on what the gun is. 

It is a tough situation. I usually won't let people try my stuff without knowing them and without seeing them handle a

firearm. When I was member at Range 14 years ago I disappointed hundreds of people when I used to bring my Ohio Ordnance BAR and only let a handful of people try it.

"Would you let the person in the next lane take a shot with one of your weapons if they showed interest?"

I have no problem in doinf this. Most of us have a common bond - our weapons. I am proud of them and to show/share them with other people. It gets people interested in other types of weapons. If my friend never let me shoot is AR, I would have never obtained one of my own.

A few years ago at Range 14, an old-timer was at the table next to me. We started talking during a cease fire. He asked me if I wanted to try shooting his old bolt action. It was the first time I ever shot a 1903 Springfield. With iron sights it was dead-balls accurate. It put a smile on my face to shoot it and speak with the old timer.

S.

It is a tough situation. I usually won't let people try my stuff without knowing them and without seeing them handle a

firearm. When I was member at Range 14 years ago I disappointed hundreds of people when I used to bring my Ohio Ordnance BAR and only let a handful of people try it.

I wouldnt let ppl at my stuff on a public range either. Not that a private range insulates you completely but having to shell out $$$ plus passing a safety course makes me feel a bit better about those shooting beside me.

If I read the reviews right, Johnny-5 is limited (restricted at the factory) to 500 yards.

"The 3-21x scope is also a laser range finder capable to 750 yards. Ready to travel in a wheeled hard case with

custom-fitted foam, the rifle and scope pairings are mounted and zeroed at

the factory. This allows the ballistic calculator to generate firing

solutions that enable out-of-the-box accuracy to 500 yards from your first

shot."

Tanners put up a nice package deal

https://www.facebook.com/TannersSportCenter/photos/np.502400238.653935161/882309755123832/?type=3&theater

"Would you let the person in the next lane take a shot with one of your weapons if they showed interest?"

I have no problem in doinf this. Most of us have a common bond - our weapons. I am proud of them and to show/share them with other people. It gets people interested in other types of weapons. If my friend never let me shoot is AR, I would have never obtained one of my own.

A few years ago at Range 14, an old-timer was at the table next to me. We started talking during a cease fire. He asked me if I wanted to try shooting his old bolt action. It was the first time I ever shot a 1903 Springfield. With iron sights it was dead-balls accurate. It put a smile on my face to shoot it and speak with the old timer.

S.

I had the same experience at Range 14. I was watching a guy at a bench siting his Garand. We started talking and he asks if I would take a few shots with it. He said he wasn't sure if the rifle or him that was off. First time I fired a Garand. He must have been having a bad day, rifle looked dead on to me. I wonder if it's the same guy and he just likes having others experience what he enjoys.

I will let anyone shoot any of my guns at any range as long as I have observed the person shooting their own guns in a safe manner. I also almost always walk the line at the range and check out what other guys are shooting. If I see something that I would like to shoot I ask if I can and offer my guns to shoot in return.

The only time I don't let people handle my guns is if I've noticed them being unsafe with theirs. There also has to be some type of dialogue between us before anything is offered. I've never really had anyone just come up to the line and ask "hey can I shoot your gun". There is always a "hey, that's really cool, what is that" or something.

For me it depends on my goals of the day. Usually I go to the range to practice and have fun so I have no problem talking, sharing and socializing. I have had the opportunity to shoot some cool guns that other people have brought and I have had people shoot some of my guns with a huge smile on their face. I only regret handing a gun to someone once and he was a guest of mine. Some of my range visits are for shooting a score like the Winchester NRA Marksmanship program and I want to focus and shoot well. On thost trips I use the smaller side ranges that are rarely used and where I likely won't be bothered. If someone comes to see what I'm doing I'll talk to them and explain but I don't get into a big conversation and have share time.