Sign in to follow this  
RHS

Cooling system leak ..........

Any decent "Stop Leak" products out there today ? Do they work ? Cause any long term problems ?

Chevy Aveo-2004-90,000 miles.

Just did : new clutch; tires; tune up (almost new).

Want to try something inexpensive at first till funds build up after the Holidays.

Now that's the tough part. Can't be sure .

you need to be sure. some leaks cannot be sealed in any way other than replacing/repairing the leak. a radiator will not seal with any kind of stop leak, nor will a water pump.

that said, i've had customer requests of doing things like this, and had decent luck with blue devil. but you need to follow the instructions to the letter or it won't work.

I highly recommend going to GM dealer and pick up their Cooing System Tabs..... . they will work, and they are mostly made from Almond Shells, so once leak is fixed, they will flush out with coolant when leak is fixed...

Cadillac aspirin!!!! i'd forgotten about them

Yeah back in the days of the HT 4100 ("HT" stood for "hook & tow") lol. I used to sell them, came carded in a blister pack of a dozen.

i think napa still sells them that way, although if you get a younger guy and ask for cadillac aspirin, they won't know whatcha mean, lolol

for the record, i hated working on those dam engines.........

Yep....  still work!!!!

and.... they are edible .....  DISCLAIMER: I would NOT eat them.... 

i had no clue they were edible. i'll take your word for it though. :)

i think napa still sells them that way, although if you get a younger guy and ask for cadillac aspirin, they won't know whatcha mean, lolol

for the record, i hated working on those dam engines.........

i had no clue they were edible. i'll take your word for it though. :)

I used to run a Napa store, I highly doubt there are many of those gm abortion engines still on the road. What a horrible design they were. Their first dive back into aluminum after the Vega fiasco. Didn't work out so well for them. Probably what drove me to being a honda guy actually.

!5 minute break snack.. Betcha cant eat more than one..LOl..

Big question is do they clogg you up on the way out!!

they've done a number on a couple heater cores..........one was my boss's car. we'd had the heads off a few times, 'cause he just wouldn't blow the pos up. he wouldn't let us flush it either....so eventually enough of that crap settled in the core......

I recommend fixing the leak correctly. I have had to fix a number of cars where customers have tried those stop leak magic-in-a-bottle snakeoil bullshit, and it isn't pretty. Clogged heater cores, clogged/mudded up radiators, etc. You end up fucking up more shit by trying to cheap out.

Put a pressure tester on the cooling system and find the leak, and fix it the right way. You will save money in the long run.

What kind of vehicle is it, may I ask?