Sign in to follow this  
DirtyDigz

Attended last night's meeting w/ Brian Aitken

I attended the NJ2AS meeting at the Whippany VFW last night.  Some notes on the evening:

- I'd estimate attendance at ~30 people.

- Heard Alex speak as president for the first time.  He stated two primary objectives for NJ2AS - get "self defense" determined to be a "justifiable need" for CCW permits (Mr. Stu, did you give them this idea?) and to get the transport exemptions relaxed for reasonable deviations (stop for gas, food, pick up/drop off friends) instead of straight from home-range etc.

- Two Morris county freeholder candidates canvassed the group, looking for signatures on ballot petitions

- Brian Aitken spoke for the majority of the meeting, going over the background and events of his arrest/trial/conviction/prison stay/commuting of his sentence by Christie.  Points during his talk that I found of interest:

- One of the arresting officers attempted to give Brian's guns to Brian's father to put in a safe at his parent's house, but the cases wouldn't fit in the safe so his father gave them back to the officer.  The police decided to arrest him only after the father handed the firearms back.

- Brian believes that a primary reason that the "illegal possession of hollowpoints" conviction wasn't overturned was that NJ needed to have a conviction stay on the record in order to have a defense against a suit by Brian for violation of his rights (if the state didn't have a conviction then they'd be vulnerable to a suit).

- Brian did contact the NJSP in advance of moving to NJ, and was advised by NJSP on proper way to transport (unloaded/locked/in trunk), restrictions on hollow points, but claims he wasn't advised regarding "high capacity" magazines.

- He's currently concentrating on family court actions to secure his ability to visit his son, and once he finishes that battle he'll return his attention to getting his remaining felony conviction overturned.

- Alex and Brian stated they were going to meet with Gov. Christie on Thursday.

- He's currently concentrating on family court actions to secure his ability to visit his son,

Just another of the many reasons NJ is and forever will be at the bottom of my lists of states. Try not paying support and see if the state takes years to settle with you.

But they will string out a dads right to see his kid to no end. It's very hard to move on with your life when you have to constantly battle to see your kid.

This poor kid what a mess.

I was there as well. It was a great meeting. Too bad we couldn't fill the room with people on the fence to hear Brian's story. It would be a huge eye opener for people who think that it won't happen to them...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was also there.  Sorry we did not know who the other NJGF members were.  

Interesting to hear Brian's story told by himself.  I'm enjoying his book, but also finding it troubling.  Truly a "There but for the grace of God..." situation.

Sign in to follow this