DeerSlayer

Show us your reloading/gunsmithing bench

Thinking about setting up a newer larger bench in the garage 26' long, one side for building rifles and cleaning, the other end for reloading. It beats the mess I'm working with right now. Just trying to get some ideas from everyone else here. Before I build or buy anything.

My current small setup, don't have much room in my current living situation so for a compact setup this works quite well. I do plan on expanding a setup once I have a basement or garage to take over.

Not really useful for Ideas for you, but if your building one, cant get simpler then 2x4's with 3/4" ply top. 

4fd92e9c2361764934bff6b3119d87f5.jpg

0acace9e16781d4ba03f6e391baadf3b.jpg

It's a little messy right now, I just finished my first ever 308 handloads for 308 m1 garand that I now have to get to the range to test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is under going a move and addition just ordered dillon xl650 to add.. I was booted out of the house and built a shed to put it in.. very nice shed 3ft off ground, insulated and finished inside..

EDIT: partial before the move.

reloading001_zps21a71c56.jpg

A major renovation over the last 8 months at home with an addition provided a perfect opportunity to build a new personal gun shop. Not quite finished yet but almost.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif shop1.JPG

http://njgunforums.com/forum/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif shop2.JPG

Very nice this is what I'm going for, very similar.

Thanks to everyone for posting, I'm looking at using some ideas from almost all these benches posted above.

i'm still in the middle of building mine, Built myself a dedicated " gun room " during my basement renovation, it's about 9'x11' or so. 

the right side is for presses, I'll be mounting my 1050 and 650, and another future 650/1050, left side is a work top for working on guns, etc. 

Bench has 4x4 legs that is anchored into the concrete basement floor, 2x4 top frame screwed into the walls. All built heavy duty.

Some cabinets and shelves for storage, I plan on building some shelving on the " work surface " side, but I want to give it a little while to grow into it and see what my needs are. 

I have some 1.5" butcher block tops that should be here next week and I can get everything back in and installed.

16397528501_8eac8e7b99_b.jpg

Mine is similar to Alec's but my legs are 1" gas pipe bolted to the concrete floor -- My table top is made from 3 layers of 3/4" thick MDF glued together 

No real frame under the MDF top but it's sitting on a 2x4 runner on the backside that's attached to the studs in the wall --  doesn't move ever

You know,  Alec was in my gun room...

Mine is similar to Alec's but my legs are 1" gas pipe bolted to the concrete floor -- My table top is made from 3 layers of 3/4" thick MDF glued together

No real frame under the MDF top but it's sitting on a 2x4 runner on the backside that's attached to the studs in the wall -- doesn't move ever

You know, Alec was in my gun room...

I didn't steal any ideas. Hey, sell me that 650 you don't like and don't use. I wants it

No real frame under the MDF top but it's sitting on a 2x4 runner on the backside that's attached to the studs in the wall -- doesn't move ever

You know, Alec was in my gun room...

Black iron pipe I have a multitude of. How does the MDF hold up to a vice bolted to it? I have a few sheets of it left over from something. If you glue three layers together does it make it strong enough to put any actual leverage on when cranking on something in the vice? I only ask because I once tore a vise off a wooden top workbench. Boy was my dad pissed lol! Also what did you glue them together with? Liquid nails?

The MDF isn't good with lags -- you have to use nuts and bolts and go thru but anything I have attached is rock solid --  Only thing I have attached with lags is my Reading 3BR powder measure

I actually used contact cement to laminate the 3 pieces together -- If I did it again just a wood glue is all you need

I do not have a vice on my MDF top but I can't imagine it being an issue -- It's one heavy top

I'll post a picture over the weekend 

The MDF isn't good with lags -- you have to use nuts and bolts and go thru but anything I have attached is rock solid -- Only thing I have attached with lags is my Reading 3BR powder measure

I actually used contact cement to laminate the 3 pieces together -- If I did it again just a wood glue is all you need

I do not have a vice on my MDF top but I can't imagine it being an issue -- It's one heavy top

I'll post a picture over the weekend

Cool thanks. If I use the MDF I think bolting the vice through is the best idea. Maybe I'll even make a steel or aluminum plate, with 4 holes in it for some additional strength on the bottom where I put the nuts and washers. The one I ripped off of the bench my old man built was done in 2x6. It was bolted through, but I had a 6' pipe on a breaker bar trying to get a rusty bolt out of something (I forgot what exactly). Anyway the 2x6 split while I was hanging on the pipe, and I landed on my ass lol... I guess this is how you learn at the ripe old age of 17 hahha.

Just completed some drastic changes to my bench today....(built a new, much better one)

Posted Image

I have some new mounts and equipment coming from inlinefabrication.com for my press. I will post up photos once that's all mounted up.

Very nice, I like the improvements. Looks very functional for having a small area to work with.

Officially, officially up and running now. Everything works great and it is much more efficient then the tiny old setup.

IMG_1235.jpg

Still have to get some more of the tools mounted up on the pegboard.

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

Highly recommend this guy's products for mounting your press. http://inlinefabrication.com

IMG_1238.jpg

I mounted my powder measure so I can swing it around to the front to use or swing it around to the back to get it out of the way.