MedicYeti

Glock Shooting competitions.

I got the email that Shooters will be hosting Glock competitions on 2-14/ 3-14/ 4-11 (all are my weekends to work).

I'm not the biggest fan of glocks; the slide rubs my hand and wears away skin after a magazine. So... I have a "Non-Glock; Glock 22". The frame, barrel and most of the internals are not Glock, in fact the slide is the only thing that is Glock. With a Non-Glock am I still able to participate?

I went to a GSSF match in PA last year. It was awful. No attempt to organise or squad anyone. They were just happy as could be to take people's money and have them standing around for hours. I was there for 3 hours before firing a single shot.

You're not missing much.

I disagree. There were 700 shooters at that match. It broke a record and I think you're a little biased.

Glock rewards people who show up early. The list always starts at the top. Show up early and you should be done early. On Sunday's it usually dead and getting there late usually would net you the earliest times but that worked against me last time as they had a record turn out.

It's a great time and is meant to bring a lot of new shooters into the shooting world. There are lots of master shooters that shoot uspsa and other comps that come. They shoot 5-6 guns in different phases.

GSSF is a great opportunity for all level shooters.

It's not a pro or "I'm hot shit, look at me" event.

Gun must be a stock GLOCK pretty much.

Lots of prizes for all levels.  It's a promotional event.

Yep it can take time ti get through all the stages so be prepared and use your head getting your score sheets to the stages.

I believe the OP is referring to indoor matches.  Different animal altogether. You're generally in and out in an hour.

READ the rules. it's fun and both my ladies have walked away with new G19's.

I may just shoot this series of matches for kicks and giggles.

Enjoy and never take yourself too seriously.

>>GSSF is a great opportunity for all level shooters.

>>It's not a pro or "I'm hot shit, look at me" event.

Mm, using this logic, are local USPSA matches more "I'm hot shit, look at me" events? :-)

I don't know, are they?

IMO, not even close.

I'll explain my idea behind my question - I have nothing against GSSF matches, I'm GSSF member myself and I was really looking forward to coming to one of their matches last year, but had to cancel my plans pretty much last minute. I read several posts from guys here that, if summarized, basically stated that it had been a complete waste of time and example of the worst organization ever...

BUT, I heard not once and not twice that GSSF matches are "a good start" as they are not "as sophisticated as other shooting disciplines" (I guess talking about uspsa, idpa and such). And in fact attendance figures seem to confirm this - I've never heard of any local-level USPSA match with 500-ish attendance :)

As a person who started shooting USPSA only a year ago I am kind of curious why there is a general belief that Glock matches are "easier" for a noob and why attendance is skyrocketing :)...

I never really understood why different disciplines like to pick on each other. To my mind, the more types of competition the better every one is as they can find the place that best matches their temperament, good for them and good for everyone who doesn't necessarily like that temperament.

Don't get me wrong, I may or may not have joked about disciplines myself, but generally some good nature ribbing is fine, what I really have an issue is "That game will get you killed on the streets but my game will make a ninja" or the "Those people are complete assholes don't even try talking with them to verify my statement!"

That shit is unnecessary and counterproductive. 

At a Glock match, you're not drawing from a holster, you are shooting from the low ready. That's easier on new shooters. It's a mix of time and quality of shots, not scored the same as uspsa and maybe idpa.

Correct me if I'm wrong but uspsa is very times based.

In the end, even if you don't place first to win a gun, it's essentially a drawing for a Glock, cash, membership etc......

Correct me if I'm wrong but uspsa is very times based.

That is incorrect. All "action" shooting games are scored on both times and accuracy. There is not shooting game were you can shoot fast enough to win.  In fact the more time you spend shooting IDPA or USPSA (or 3gun for that matter) you learn that accuracy is king, you just need to be accurate quickly.

Accuracy will also trump everything but you'll need to shoot faster at uspsa to compete that at a Glock match.

I'm not sure that makes sense to me. You can compete at any speed you want in any match you want, specially as in USPSA and IDPA we recognize winners at all levels of skill. 

If you are saying that there are more better shooters in USPSA and IDPA and you have to be better yourself to reach the TOP level, then sure that is true, but I personally don't understand why that would be a bad thing. Do you think that you will learn more by shooting with shooters better then you or with shooters just as good as you?

Don't take this a knock on GSSF, it is its own thing and I'm glad it exists, I'm just not sure I understand the logic so saying you can't compete in a different game because it encourages better/faster/whatever skills.

GSSF is easier because:

1. You stand in one spot, engaging targets with a max of ten required hits per string
  2. No reloading on the clock
  3. No moving
  4. Accuracy counts -- the time penalties for misses/non-center hits encourage a perfect sight picture and smooth trigger press for every shot
  5. You shoot from low ready; no need to know how to draw on the clock

GSSF is designed to be social.  You'll spend some time the range, especially if you shoot Saturdays.  Once you register, distribute your score sheets to the different stages immediately.  Then gear up, pick a stage ou want to start on, go there, hang out with other competitors, watch how it's done, and help to paste/reset between shooters.

As you wait for your scoresheets to move up in the pile, for your turn to shoot the stage, your scoresheets on the other stages are also rising to the top of their respective piles.  Once you transition to the next stage, you should be shooting pretty quickly.

Typically you can shoot up to two entries back to back; then you need to step own for at least one competitor, before shooting your remaining entries.

If you show up mid-morning on Saturday -- yep you might have a wait.  Best to be there either early, or show up in the early afternoon -- though if you show up too late you un a chance of not making it through before they run out of daylight....

GSSF is easier because:

1. You stand in one spot, engaging targets with a max of ten required hits per string
  2. No reloading on the clock
  3. No moving
  4. Accuracy counts -- the time penalties for misses/non-center hits encourage a perfect sight picture and smooth trigger press for every shot
  5. You shoot from low ready; no need to know how to draw on the clock

GSSF is designed to be social.  You'll spend some time the range, especially if you shoot Saturdays.  Once you register, distribute your score sheets to the different stages immediately.  Then gear up, pick a stage ou want to start on, go there, hang out with other competitors, watch how it's done, and help to paste/reset between shooters.

As you wait for your scoresheets to move up in the pile, for your turn to shoot the stage, your scoresheets on the other stages are also rising to the top of their respective piles.  Once you transition to the next stage, you should be shooting pretty quickly.

Typically you can shoot up to two entries back to back; then you need to step own for at least one competitor, before shooting your remaining entries.

If you show up mid-morning on Saturday -- yep you might have a wait.  Best to be there either early, or show up in the early afternoon -- though if you show up too late you un a chance of not making it through before they run out of daylight....

Well put. Thanks!

I enjoy the thoughts and feedback. I have been shooting IDPA for years, tried USPSA, done a bunch of 3 guns and speed on steel competitions. I look at all of them as social events; when you spend hours at the range and have trigger time that is measured in seconds - it is mostly a social event with some shooting. And I'm ok with that, I like meeting new people, seeing people I know and hanging out with like minded people. I have heard people from one bash another, I just giggle. People tend to speak out their rump when it comes to things they know little about or things that aren't their preference. It's how people are, and it's in every line of work, every hobby and every product.

I haven't tried the Glock competition yet and would like to broaden my horizons. I believe every competition, every instructor, every constructive criticism may have a great tidbit of information to make me a better shooter.