scotty456

Firearms Purchase Questions/Help (I just got my permits)

First off, I apologize if this is the wrong forum for my post - it just seemed like the one that fit best.

So, I finally got my firearms permits and pistol permits from my local PD, and am now ready to take the next steps.  I am trying to operate relatively logically with regards to this, so I broke my next steps up into a few specific sections (all of which I could readily use advice on).  

1) Firearms Purchase - obviously now that I have my pistol permits I need to use them and buy pistols.  

a) The first (of two) guns I want to purchase is a semi-automatic.  I've shot a few now over the past few years, and think that .40 or .45 caliber pistols are just too much for me.  I want to be able to practice with the weapon on the range so I can get used to using it, and I feel like these just have too much kick and just aren't comfortable for me.  I was thinking 9mm - what does everyone think?  Is there any particular one I should be looking at?  I don't want to spend a fortune, but am willing to spend a fair amount to get a reliable pistol.  Also, if whoever replies can give me some price ranges, that'd be great!

b) The second one I want to get is a revolver.  I've heard that semi-automatic guns can jam or misfire occasionally, and god forbit if I ever had to use a weapon to defend myself I'd want to make sure it's reliable - and I've also heard that revolvers tend to be very reliable - is that true?  Any advice or comments are welcome on model, cost, pro's/con's, etc.

2) Once I purchase these weapons, the next thing I need to learn is how to shoot them effectively.  I'm assuming I can simply go to a range and take classes to learn about this - does that make sense?  Any better ideas?  Is it pretty much just practice, practice, practice?

3) Maintenance - I understand that without proper maintenance, these pistols will not last a long time and will end up causing me problems, so obviously I want to learn how to properly, safely, and effectively maintain them - where can I learn this?  Is it something I can get a class in at the local range, or something else?

4) Accessories - Aside from the actual pistols, there are probably numerous other things I need to purchase (some pretty obvious, such as bullets, and others not so much or perhaps more of a individual preference than a necessity).  I think I will definitely need whatever equipment is necessary to clean/maintain these pistols, as well as the appropriate secured storage to keep them in my house (no kids right now) and to transport them to/from the local range.  And what else might I need?

5) Transportation - I want to make sure I am fully in compliance with all the laws regulating pistols and firearms in NJ, so could someone perhaps point me to a site that deals with them; specifically with how I legally transport them in my SUV (no separate trunk compartment) to/from the range?  And any other applicable laws that I should know as a new pistol owner?

6) Moving - I might be moving elsewhere in NJ in a few months - can someone advise what the proper procedure is to move with pistols?  How do I pack them and transport them to my new location?  Do I have to notify anyone that I'm moving to a new location with pistols (or transporting them to a new location), such as the local PD at my new town, etc.?  And if I do move out-of-state, how would I handle that?

I think that covers all my questions right now - thanks to anyone that can offer any advice!

There's an awful lot of info requested in your query. What you really need is a mentor. What sparked your interest in firearms in the first place? Don't you have a friend or a relative that can guide you? Research is always good, but when it comes time to graduate from the theoretical to the practical, it is good to have someone to figuratively hold your hand.

I have a feeling that the myriad of opinions that you will receive in answer to your questions, may only confuse you more. Good luck in your quest, but if possible, I'd advise you to seek personal counsel from someone you know and whose opinion you respect.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

First off, I apologize if this is the wrong forum for my post - it just seemed like the one that fit best.

You have come to the right place.

1) Firearms Purchase - obviously now that I have my pistol permits I need to use them and buy pistols.  

a) The first (of two) guns I want to purchase is a semi-automatic.  I've shot a few now over the past few years, and think that .40 or .45 caliber pistols are just too much for me.  I want to be able to practice with the weapon on the range so I can get used to using it, and I feel like these just have too much kick and just aren't comfortable for me.  I was thinking 9mm - what does everyone think?  Is there any particular one I should be looking at?  I don't want to spend a fortune, but am willing to spend a fair amount to get a reliable pistol.  Also, if whoever replies can give me some price ranges, that'd be great!

9mm, 40, and 45 are all very common calibers and a good choice. I suggest renting or borrowing handguns. Many people tend to be picky about what handguns they do and don't like, and unless you are a smallish person you probably won't have an issue shooting .45 ACP or .40 S&W. In fact, depending on what size/weight the handgun is, a larger caliber may be easier. A heavy 1911 may be easier than a tiny plastic framed "carry size" 9mm as an example. 

You should definitely find something YOU like. My dad has handguns that I really want to like, but I can't shoot for crap because they're simply not my style. That doesn't mean I couldn't train with it enough to become proficient, but I prefer to stick to things I like.

b) The second one I want to get is a revolver.  I've heard that semi-automatic guns can jam or misfire occasionally, and god forbit if I ever had to use a weapon to defend myself I'd want to make sure it's reliable - and I've also heard that revolvers tend to be very reliable - is that true?  Any advice or comments are welcome on model, cost, pro's/con's, etc.

That is true, but most modern handguns are reliable enough to not be a concern. Just don't get a POS and stick to real brands. The only handgun I personally own is a revolver and I'm happy with it.

2) Once I purchase these weapons, the next thing I need to learn is how to shoot them effectively.  I'm assuming I can simply go to a range and take classes to learn about this - does that make sense?  Any better ideas?  Is it pretty much just practice, practice, practice?

​I recommend a class. NRA First steps, etc/

3) Maintenance - I understand that without proper maintenance, these pistols will not last a long time and will end up causing me problems, so obviously I want to learn how to properly, safely, and effectively maintain them - where can I learn this?  Is it something I can get a class in at the local range, or something else?

The internet is a good source of information on this. Simply clean and lubricate your firearms per your owners manual, and scour the internet for tips and tricks. No biggie.

4) Accessories - Aside from the actual pistols, there are probably numerous other things I need to purchase (some pretty obvious, such as bullets, and others not so much or perhaps more of a individual preference than a necessity).  I think I will definitely need whatever equipment is necessary to clean/maintain these pistols, as well as the appropriate secured storage to keep them in my house (no kids right now) and to transport them to/from the local range.  And what else might I need?

Solvents and oils to clean/lubricate, cleaning rod, brushes, etc. 

5) Transportation - I want to make sure I am fully in compliance with all the laws regulating pistols and firearms in NJ, so could someone perhaps point me to a site that deals with them; specifically with how I legally transport them in my SUV (no separate trunk compartment) to/from the range?  And any other applicable laws that I should know as a new pistol owner?

Read stickies.

6) Moving - I might be moving elsewhere in NJ in a few months - can someone advise what the proper procedure is to move with pistols?  How do I pack them and transport them to my new location?  Do I have to notify anyone that I'm moving to a new location with pistols (or transporting them to a new location), such as the local PD at my new town, etc.?  And if I do move out-of-state, how would I handle that?

You need to change your FID within NJ if you want to purchase anything else, that is it. When moving out of state, make sure your handguns comply with local laws. If you move somewhere in a Free State, you should be fine.

I think that covers all my questions right now - thanks to anyone that can offer any advice!

NRA Basic Pistol is both classroom and range time.  Great class for beginners.

9mm is great place to start

revolvers are a great back up gun

Once you move you will will need to apply for change of address on your FID with new PD within 30days of moving.

To start, as ogfarmer suggested, take the NRA basic pistol class ASAP as you can get some important training right away and also get some time trying out a few pistols to see what you like. Also, where are you located? There are many people here who may be willing to meet you at a range so you can try things out. Last, there is a good cancel that the first pistol you buy will end up being sold when you find something you like better (personal experience).

Just some thoughts

So, I finally got my firearms permits and pistol permits from my local PD, and am now ready to take the next steps.  I am trying to operate relatively logically with regards to this, so I broke my next steps up into a few specific sections (all of which I could readily use advice on).  

9mm is fine. Go to a range with rentals and try a few. First on your list to try should be a Glock 19. Not too big, not too small. Holds 15 rounds and there are tons of aftermarket accessories for it.

Practicing is useless if you don't know what it is that you're supposed to be practicing. Start off with an First Steps Pistol class. Shoot a few hundred rounds, then follow up with private lessons or more classes.

There should be plenty of youtube videos on cleaning whatever guns you end up getting. There are classes, but not the best use of your money in my opinion.

Basics include:
1. Hearing protection (get your own, range-provided ear pro tends to suck)
2. Eye protection
3. Range bag (any backpack will do)
4. UpLULA magazine loader

This is why I think it is good idea to have some sort "Events and Gatherings" meet, but to talk about these things in person, and actually maintain the steel with some coaching.

We have a monthly meeting for a car club where they get into powerpoint slides of what screw goes where.  Why don't we do the same?

You've asked a lot and Pizza Bob has the best suggestion...find someone in your area to give you a hand.  What area are you in?  I'm sure there's someone to give you a hand

As for calibers, 9mm is probably the right caliber as it's cheap to shoot and has very controllable recoil.

As to guns there a plenty of 9mm.  If you're only going to buy two guns, neither really should be a "carry" gun because you can't carry in NJ and carry guns generally aren't as fun to shoot at the range.  They also tend to have more recoil.

I personally think if you're only going to have one 9mm in semi-automatic, it ought to be an H&K P30 as evidenced by the picture attached to this post.  It's a comfortable, reliable pistol that is as fun to shoot after 3k rounds as it is the first.  It's probably the only gun I own that I will never even think of selling.  The down side is it's expensive.

Other good choices:

Smith and Wesson MP9

Beretta 92 FS

CZ 75

Walther PPQ

Sig Sauer P229

H&K VP9

As to a revolver, get a .357 with at least a 4 inch barrel.  It will shoot comfortably using 38 special.   Buy a Smith and Wesson and be done with it.   Other brands that are cheaper and generally reliable are Ruger and Taurus.  Again though, if you're only going to have one, ever, make it a Smith.

I'm sure people will excoriate me for not mentioning Glocks, but frankly I don't consider it a good starting pistol and I just am not team Glock.   They are very reliable pistols, but the ergonomics and other issues just aren't for me.

The clock is ticking on your permits so don't wait too long, but do shoot some guns first to get some idea.

There's an awful lot of info requested in your query. What you really need is a mentor. What sparked your interest in firearms in the first place? Don't you have a friend or a relative that can guide you? Research is always good, but when it comes time to graduate from the theoretical to the practical, it is good to have someone to figuratively hold your hand.

I have a feeling that the myriad of opinions that you will receive in answer to your questions, may only confuse you more. Good luck in your quest, but if possible, I'd advise you to seek personal counsel from someone you know and whose opinion you respect.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Listen to this man.  He is spot on with his answers.  You did ask a LOT of questions, and you will get a LOT of different answers.  The one thing most will agree on is to take an NRA Basic/First Pistol class.  This will give you the ground floor fundamentals on owning a pistol.  What the parts mean, the different kinds (semi auto v. revolver, etc) and how to break one down and clean it, etc. 

I learned a lot from the shit ton of research I did on the internet, but having someone guide you through a bit can be nothing but helpful (as long as they know what they are talking about).  Depending on how much you want to immerse yourself into this sport/hobby/whatever you want to call it is going to determine how much you learn and how fast. 

If you are uncomfortable with 40 or 45, then start with 9mm (or one could even say .22lr, but it all depends on the individual).  I personally started with 9mm and stuck with it.  Its a decent enough home defense round (this can be argued all day long, and usually is) and to be honest, its the cheapest centerfire round out there and the ammo is (finally) readily available.  Absolutely nothing wrong with starting with 9mm.  I will not make any recommendations on which gun because that is something extremely subjective.  Some will tell you Glock (as they already have), some will tell you Sig, some will tell you CZ, some will tell you Beretta..  It all depends on what is comfortable to YOU.  Going to a range and renting different models (or going with a friend who has some different models) is the best way to get a feel for what you are comfortable with.  Not to mention, your tastes/preferences will change over time (someone else mentioned this above). 

Accessories - Oh boy there are too many to mention.  Note that guns are not the cheapest sport/hobby to get into, so be prepared for that.  Cleaning kits, range bags, extra magazines for semi auto pistols, speed loaders (for either semi auto or revolvers) and most (and i mean MOST) importantly - AMMO - are the best accessories you can get up front.  But please note that if you rent guns, you will probably have to buy the ammo from the range you are renting at (usually a range rule). 

One other suggestion - dont try to learn everything all at once.  It will overwhelm you.  I am 2 years into my love for guns, and I learn new shit every single day. 

Good luck and please do not be afraid to ask questions as you go.  That is the only way you will learn.  I asked a lot of questions, as did many here. 

In addition to all the good advice above, I recommend you also peruse youtube.com. There are thousands of videos on firearms topics, including those you are interested in. In my case, I decided to purchase a Glock 19 Gen4 9mm and a Smith & Wesson M&P 22. I am not getting any younger and 9mm is the most recoil I want to subject my hands to.

Regards

1) What is your location?

2) You are aware (I hope) that you can only purchase one pistol in a 30 day period.  This does not apply to long guns (rifles or shotguns).

3) Take the NRA Basic Pistol Class.  There are several well established schools throughout the state as well as a large quantity of independent instructors.

4) Recoil management is a learned response. While I have no objection to you starting with a 9mm, you may find that with some instruction (see item 3 above) that you can handle more than you initially thought once you get a few tips on gripping the pistol.

5) Midway USA has an almost universally used range bag, they used to put it on sale every couple of months (when they still issued paper monthly sale fliers) I don't know if they still do.  They also have most of the other accesories you might want.

Wow - thank you everyone for the enormous wealth of information!  

I have to process much of it, but it seems like a class is definitely the first step in the right direction.  Should I just take one (the NRA basic pistol class) at my local range, or is there a better place in NJ to do so? I wouldn't mind traveling a bit for a several hour class if I knew I was getting the best instruction.

Also - (and I might be mistaken on this), but it seems that at least one person might have implied that ammo is going to be more expensive if purchased at my local range - is that the case?  Is there somewhere better I should be buying ammo (and maybe other accessories, or even my pistols themselves when I'm ready)?  Once again, I don't mind traveling a bit to do these purchases if I'm getting a good deal and will have knowledgeable staff selling them to me.

Thanks again everyone!

a)  Are you looking at steel guns or poly guns?  Hammer fired or striker fired?  You should try getting some trigger time with some you are considering.  You can rent guns at several differnent ranges.  You'll want to narrow it down so you don't end up spending too much money renting, renting, renting.  Or you can post what you are considering purchasing and see if any forum members are willing to meet with you at their local range to let you test drive their guns.

9mm is a popular round.  I like CZs.  I had never heard of them before a forum member (who I'm proud to call a friend now) introduced me to them.  A base model CZ75 can be had for around $500-$600.  Very reliable, all steel so mitigates some of the recoil and good value for your money.  They are also known for having very good ergonomics / good feel in the hand.

Other 9mms I looked at when purchasing my 1st gun (about 2 years ago now) were the Smith and Wesson M&P, Ruger SR9 and Sig Sauer P226.  They are all good guns but I shot my friends CZ very, very well so I ended up getting one.

b) Revolvers ARE very reliable.  Doesn't go bang?  Pull the trigger again.  No failure to ejects, failure to load, stove pipes (when an ejected shell gets stuck in the slide) safeties etc.  Point and shoot.  Looks at 357s.  You can shoot 38s and 357 through it.  Shooting 38s through a full sized 357 has very little recoil at all.  You'll probably want to look at Smith & Wessons or Rugers.  Asking which is better (S&W 686 verus Ruger GP100) is like asking if the chicken or the egg came first.  My first handgun was a revolver b/c I wanted something simple and reliable for home defense.  I also wanted my wife to be able to use it and not be intimated by it. 

2) Yep.  You can practice on your own and spend a bunch of money on ammo, watch Youtube videos for tips or take classes from professionals or some combination of the above.  Other shooters may give you tips as well.  There is also IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) / gun games.

3) Maintenance - Youtube.  I was a little intimated before I cleaned my CZ semi-automatic the first time.  It's actually very easy to field strip and clean.  Guns are tools and need to be properly maintened to run their best.  You'll try different cleaners and eventually settle on one you like.

4) Accessories - YOU may not have children but do any children ever visit your home?  Please keep that in mind. 

Gun cleaning stuff, targets, eye & ear protection.  Links to online ammo sellers, gun bags to bring guns & ammo to range.  Depending on the range you're shooting at you may need to bring supplies (staple gun, staples, backer board, old wire clothes hanger to hang backer board, etc)

5) Transportation -  use the search feature on this site.  You'll find several discussions.  Short & sweet - keep guns and ammo in seperate cases in back of your SUV well out of arms reach and under some blankets.  Go direct from house to range and back.  Don't stop in between.

Hope this helped you a little.  Good luck!

NRA Basic Pistol is both classroom and range time.  Great class for beginners.

9mm is great place to start

revolvers are a great back up gun

Exactly this. I was familiar with firearms in general, but took the NRA Basic Pistol (offered through Green Academy of Personal Protection) and loved it! I first bought a Glock 19, then a S&W 686-3. Both take the same cleaning kit, so I didn't have to buy 2...

Depending on location.

I recomend Gun for Hire in Woodland Park. As others have said, take the Basic Pistol class before buying. You will learn things that will help you ask intelligent questions so you get what you will be comfortable with. At the class you will get to shoot various calibers including 9mm and 38 spl. They also have a lot of rentals you can "try before you buy".

Remember, how a firearm feels is very personal. What someone else likes you may hate.

Do not skimp on safety glasses and hearing protection!

Wow - thank you everyone for the enormous wealth of information!  

I have to process much of it, but it seems like a class is definitely the first step in the right direction.  Should I just take one (the NRA basic pistol class) at my local range, or is there a better place in NJ to do so? I wouldn't mind traveling a bit for a several hour class if I knew I was getting the best instruction.

Also - (and I might be mistaken on this), but it seems that at least one person might have implied that ammo is going to be more expensive if purchased at my local range - is that the case?  Is there somewhere better I should be buying ammo (and maybe other accessories, or even my pistols themselves when I'm ready)?  Once again, I don't mind traveling a bit to do these purchases if I'm getting a good deal and will have knowledgeable staff selling them to me.

Thanks again everyone!

Ask around but I would think any top notch facility is going to top notch instructors.  Heritage Guild (in Easton), RTSP, Guns For Hire, etc.  Look at the one closest to you, visit their website, see it it list instructors qualifications, experience, time as instructor, etc.

For ammo, the "internets" are your friend.  Have it delivered to your front door.  Ammo will probably be more expensive at the range.  I'm sure there is a thread dedicated to online ammo sales / merchants.  You can use ammoseek & gunbot to search multiple sites at once and sort by price per round.

http://ammoseek.com/

http://www.gunbot.net/

Slickguns also posts ammo deals...along with A LOT of other shooting related "deals" (many aren't that great but you can find some gems):

http://www.slickguns.com/

Also, check your Sunday flyer for store ads.  Dicks occasionally has some good sales on ammo that rival or come close to ordering online.

First off, thank you to everyone who posted advice - I've read through it all several times now and it's been extremely useful.

I took a 2-hour private one-on-one class at my local range (RTSP) this past weekend and got a good handle on things from a really good instructor, and then was back at the range yesterday (Tuesday) to cycle through a few 9mm's to see what I liked.  Unfortunately, despite taking notes, I'm not any closer to a decision.  I figure I'll go back again and try some more to see if I can come to a conclusion.  

A few people also asked me where I'm located - I'm in Morris County about 15 minutes from RTSP (Parsippany-area), so if anyone happens to be nearby and wants to offer some additional help, it would be foolish for me to turn that down!

Thanks again all.