rifleman

Laid off today

First time in 24 years. They hired a kid in China to do my job, I made look easy but it really isn't. HAHAHAHAHA.

At least this gives me time to bust clay.

I am a mechanical designer & fabricator of industrial equipment. Electro-mechanical assemblies, hydraulic, pneumatic, low & high voltages are my world. I have been in machine shops for 25 years and in front of customers for that long also. I have 7 US patents & 1 pending- all assigned to my employers. Some were multi-million dollar winners! I have done service throughout the US, India & China. If this Yankee can fit in in Oklahoma, Shanghai, New Delhi and Alabama, he can go anywhere!

I am also carrying Merchant Marine Documents (MMD) & TWIC.

If anybody has a contact in central Jersey, I will appreciate it. I know how risky it is to recommend someone but I would not disappoint you.

Dave

Man, that blows.

I'm in that world too but I write the digital front end to drive the equipment(Ever seen a touch screen on a LinoType machine? :)).  I do get involved in equipment design through the process as I'm really good at figuring out how to move stuff through machines but the actual design gets done by an engineer who specializes in it.

Competent people are hard to come by, you'll find something.  I've got people sniffing after me all the time.

I've been fired twice in my life. Both times it was the gateway to some other things a lot better. And much more lucrative.

Yes, there was some 'luck' involved. But I'm the one that did the work to get lucky.

Some say Columbus 'discovered' America by luck. But if he didn't have the guts to sail out of the harbor towards what many thought was the edge of the earth, he never would have been positioned to be 'lucky'.

If you get my drift.

Good luck to you. Make it happen. Success is the best revenge.

As someone who gets laid off at the end of every construction job I understand how you feel. Nothing worse then being ready and able with nothing to do. Just keep busy around the home while you are searching. America is going through another transition where we export tech  jobs and import labor(cheap HB1 visa holders). It's going to take time before this cycle ends and things settle down.

File for unemployment right away. It's your money so dont wait. Get active in protecting jobs like yours by contacting your congressman. You will be alarmed once you learn how our own Govt undermines American workers through tax deductions for moving jobs overseas and bringing in labor from other countries to do our jobs.

Good luck and I hope you find that Killer job.

Thanks all. My two brothers are at Picatanny over 25 years each, I am very proud of them. One went to Afghanistan to train soldiers at a FOB.

I am ready to go full R & R on the job market. I have been doing home machining for private inventors for years and this will give me more time for my current client. I am looking forward to a clear 40 degree day to shoot at Lehigh Valley. There is a gold lining to this cloud. Wifey bought me a new phone today, had to return the work one.

The best part is no more trips to India. What a sewer.

First time in 24 years. They hired a kid in China to do my job, I made look easy but it really isn't. HAHAHAHAHA.

At least this gives me time to bust clay.

I am a mechanical designer & fabricator of industrial equipment. Electro-mechanical assemblies, hydraulic, pneumatic, low & high voltages are my world. I have been in machine shops for 25 years and in front of customers for that long also. I have 7 US patents & 1 pending- all assigned to my employers. Some were multi-million dollar winners! I have done service throughout the US, India & China. If this Yankee can fit in in Oklahoma, Shanghai, New Delhi and Alabama, he can go anywhere!

I am also carrying Merchant Marine Documents (MMD) & TWIC.

If anybody has a contact in central Jersey, I will appreciate it. I know how risky it is to recommend someone but I would not disappoint you.

Dave

Offa that sucks, been there, not fun...What bout retiring?