Sign in to follow this  
SkiingGunMonkey

AR Pistol technical question

So I tried to search far and wide and couldn't get a definitive answer so I figured I'd throw it out there....

I planned a 22lr AR pistol build using a forged lower using a 7" taccom pistol upper. Since this is a 22, it's a blow back so no need for a buffer tube/spring/etc. No handguards allowed clearly which saves me some weight.

My calculations put this at weighing around 45 ounces with an empty mag in it. The barrel comes threaded so I was either going to have the threads removed or add on a compensator and tac it on (+1.5oz) so it looks like grand total it's going to come in around 47oz with an empty mag.

So everything looks OKAY so far.

What happens when I put on a heavy red dot and it goes above 50oz? Does that constitute manufactured weight? Or does it not count against the weight limit. 

Just for kicks it'll look something like:

TaccomP2.jpg

But obviously muzzle device will be different.

You raise an interesting situation. Are you actually the manufacturer of the pistol if you build it? The general accepted answer is no. Then if no, why would the "substantially identical" clause apply to you?

You raise an interesting situation. Are you actually the manufacturer of the pistol if you build it? The general accepted answer is no. Then if no, why would the "substantially identical" clause apply to you?

It's a good question that I don't want to be the first to challenge ;), I rather it fit in with the ssubstantially identical clause. Doesn't really bug me too much as I can have a magwell grip if need be and everything else is to my liking.

Never understood the purpose of an ar pistol. Sbr yes, pistol no

AR is actually one of the few guns where SBR is not much different than pistol.... if it is an actual AR with a buffer and buffer tube.. the tube makes for a perfectly functioning stabilizing point against the shoulder.. not much different with the stock..

AR is actually one of the few guns where SBR is not much different than pistol.... if it is an actual AR with a buffer and buffer tube.. the tube makes for a perfectly functioning stabilizing point against the shoulder.. not much different with the stock..

omg.jpeg

Quick someone should write the ATF a question about that.